34

slight trigger warning ―
: injuries

MY heart is scarily thumping, making a twisting feeling in my chest as a nurse (one that I found was Kim Jisoo who had picked up my call) guides us along the brightly lit corridors. Yoonjin returned to us not too long ago, explaining that the boys are resting well. She lets Yeosang and I go with one last reassuring pat on our backs, probably going off to take care of paperwork.

Yeosang is walking alongside me, both of us quiet. It's nearing midnight (when I stopped by the bathroom earlier, my eyes had been a slightly pinkish colour, a little bit droopy of drowsiness) and usually, I would've disliked the idea of walking inside a hospital during this hour but my mind is being so loud.

I've been too preoccupied with my thoughts so much that I don't realise that we've come to a much smaller hall―the Twilight Ward; a ward for post surgical recoveries until patients are stable enough to be moved to a regular ward. Earlier on when Yoonjin mentioned they were in their rooms already, I thought they were already in their regular rooms but now, it makes my stomach churn a little more.

Room 24, I can see two sections wrapped around by a green curtain through the glass doors.

"We've decided to room them in a more private ward," the nurse explains, pushing the door so softly it doesn't make a sound, "that way it's easier for other relatives to come by and see them for a bit, considering they're related to each other, but still having a fast access to the team if they ever need urgent care."

It's even more silent inside, asides from the slow beeping of monitors and the quiet buzzing of machinery. An invisible force makes me pause for a second and I feel my mark pulse against my skin. A bite myself back from letting out the millionth sigh tonight.

"After this, we wont be allowing any more visitors for both Mr. Park and Mr. Choi until visiting hours tomorrow morning," she continues and sets her clipboard down.

"As you know, Mr. Park and Mr. Choi was caught up in a car accident. Mr. Choi was driving the car and Mr. Park was on the passenger's seat. The car unfortunately crashed into the corner of a cafe due to Mr. Choi's actions in the attempt to dodge a speeding truck."

Nurse Kim opens the curtains of the bed space closest to the entrance.

I stumble backwards, eyes wide and my mouth letting out a gasp at the sight I see.

"Seonghwa..."

The man on the bed is lying still, eyes closed with a creased forehead, like he was in pain. I see a cut on his lip, my hand hesitating to reach out and caress his face, his bruised cheeks, his cut-swollen lips. But I don't do it―it's too risky.

He has bandages wrapped around his head and a spot of red seeping through the fabric on the side. There's an oxygen mask covering his nose and mouth to aid him breathe. My eyes shifts to a grey monitor screen and find myself grimacing―his heart rate is slow. Almost too slow, but still beating. There's another bandage wrapped around one of his shoulders, running down his arm all the way to his elbow. Both forearms covered in small bruises and grazes looking red and angry.

At the tip of one of his index fingers was an oxygen level censor, I don't know what the numbers mean but I get the idea that it's very low. And I can't even think about the IV needle on the back of his hand as well as another one connected to a blood bag nearby. I shut my eyes and let the image leave my mind before turning back to the nurse.

"Mr. Park is suffering a minor concussion from the force of the car hitting the wall, as well as a dislocated shoulder and sadly strained his tendon along with it. It may take a couple of weeks for the tendon to heal although it depends on his movements," Nurse Kim states. I glance at Yeosang who has the same troubled look as I do on his face.