32

"HYESHIN wake up, we're here."

There's a gentle shake on my shoulder and I open my eyes, blinking them rapidly at a blinding white spotlight hitting me on the face. The first thing I see is Yeosang's face, the door of the car wide open as he unfastens my seat belt.

"Hey," he greets me, "we're here."

My best friend gives me one last pat on my knee before leaving me to stretch out my limbs. Oh God, why did I even sleep on my right side? My shoulder hurts a little more now.

It's dark out already and I find out that the light on my face earlier was because of the streetlight (who the fuck gave them the idea to make it white?). I can feel the chill seep through to my bones and I take a deep breath before stepping out, instantly feeling the crisp air in my nostril and I feel the tip of my nose becoming cold.

My hands dig themselves further into my coat pocket. Yeosang locks the car and we walk side by side to the lobby. I can sense that Yeosang is just as nervous as me. He hides his nerves pretty well, people who don't know him will easily look past it and will only think he was just scanning the area. But I know Yeosang and the way his pupils shake a little is a giveaway.

Yeosang leads us to the emergency department, up to the front desk. I play around with the hem of my shirt as Yeosang speaks to the nurse behind the counter, looking around the white-washed atmosphere around me.

"I'm afraid both Mr Park and Mr Choi are still unable to take any visitors as they are both still in the operation room," the nurse informs us once she's gotten off the phone, placing it back down on the desk.

"How much longer do you think they'll be in there?" Yeosang asks.

"As of now, we are unsure, but you both are welcome to wait in the waiting area or the lobby," she continues, "we will inform you when they're out... can I get your names in the mean time, please?"

Yeosang glances at me for a split second. "Kang Yeosang and Jeon Hyeshin," he tells her.

"Ah, Hyeshin that was on the phone, was it?"

"Yes ma'am," I say.

The nurse smiles as she scribbles down both of our names down into a book. "We'll let you know as soon as possible," she speaks, "I'll have you know that Mr Park's mother arrived earlier, I think she might have left for a little bit to have some food or to head to the bathroom. Have you two gotten dinner?"

"No."

She clicks her tongue. "You two should eat first, Mr Park and Mr Choi may take a while. Situations like this are unpredictable as to when they'd be finished."

"Ah, of course, thank you," Yeosang and I bow gratefully to the nurse.

"Do you really feel like eating?" my best friend asks as we walk to a row of seats pressed against the wall.

I recall the toast from the stand earlier, thinking of it makes me lose a little bit of my appetite.

"No," I answer. I just want to see Seonghwa.

Yeosang nods.

"Do you want anything to drink, then?" he asks again, letting me sit down on the metal chair. "I'll try to find something in the cafeteria if you want?"

"No thanks, just sit down," I try to pull Yeosang down next to me but he resists, grinning down at me.

"Whatever, it wont stop me from getting you some... coffee?" Yeosang shakes my hand off his wrist, "I know you want something to keep yourself awake. Sit tight, don't wander off, be right back."