Chapter 13

I kept my empty glass of wine back on the tray as a waiter passed by, after pouring out all rest of the wine in the near by flower vase. I was occasionally pouring out some amount of wine in different vases, as I and Veer walked around the hall, having polite conversations with the guests covered in classy elegant clothes and shimmering accessories, with some genuine and certain fake smiles. Drinks weren't allowed for me for this party evening.

The Mehrotra brothers threw a party few hours after the press conference, where Veer announced Kabir and Ishika's engagement to be held tomorrow and also declared that we were engaged.

To say I was shocked was an underestimation. Why, the man trying to keep me away from the whole world, was suddenly exposing me front of the limelight. To me, he was now really nothing but a maze, in where while understanding him, I didn't realize when I derailed back to square one. But, seeing my baffled expressions, he'd whispered in my ears to just play along and promised me that he would give a good explanation for his actions tonight.

All the guests were congratulating us for our engagement. Not knowing how to reply, I just kept a fake smile plastered on my face. So many of them asked me about my background, that made me cringe inwardly. Nevertheless, Veer introduced me as Maya Shetty, a children home manager's sister while I remained silent.

As everyone settled, Veer raised a toast wishing happiness and success for all of us, which had everyone applaud. Finally, his hands left my waist and I was happy to be able to breathe freely and  got some lone time for myself. But I also missed him warmth.

Stupid Me.

I noticed few young ladies snort or glare as I walked by them sweeping the ground with my long, royal blue off shoulder gown. Though those reactions didn't bother me in any way, but I was much annoyed to know that those ladies believed that I was low class cheap gold digger, who trapped one of the most wealthy and charming businessman.

Many people shamelessly and indignantly gossiped about me even after knowing that I was eavesdropping. I nearly stifled a dry laugh when I heard one of them guessing that may be, I have hypnotized their prince charming and now making him dance on my tune.

Stupid unreasonable people.

Only if they knew the reality. It wasn't him who was dancing on my tune, but it surely seemed to be the other way around.

"I believe that you payed heed to my words and didn't consume any kind of alcohol. " Ishika muttered in low voice.

She slipped onto the seat besides me. I nodded and she gave me a small smile. I didn't know what to say further, so I continued fiddling with my fingers, as a thought kept running in my mind.

Tonight I have to meet Erica. I believe that she will come.

We stayed for some more time in silence, listening to groups of guests on the nearby table talking about things that they shouldn't. It seemed like other people's personal life was their favourite time pass.

"Ignore them, you just don't stress out. I mean don't stress out over thinking, it will worsen your health." Ishika said, getting up and straightening out her dress.

"I'm perfectly fine. Just bit weakness." I told her.

"Trust me, you are not." She replied with a sweet yet sad smile and before I could argue back, she insisted on taking me on a tour around the mansion, to freshen up my mood. I was about to turn her down, but then, it clicked me that I need to get familiar with the ways and corridors of this mansion if I were to sneak out tonight.

"Okay." I shrugged, not showing her my eagerness.

It almost took us forty minutes to complete the tour. The Mehrotra mansion was really big and uniquely built, but I couldn't at all focus on the construction and architecture, since my mind was more engrossed in remembering the ways.