Chapter 21

What do you think is biggest mistake we do in a troubled situation?

According to me, it's definitely, losing our composed self.

But I couldn't tell that to Ishika, who kept distressedly tapping her foot as we waited for Kabir from last two mins. Though I kept my lips sealed, her silence was making me worry. What Jay had just disclosed in front of her was too much to take in, I understand that. Still she had to be calm in such situations, when we're far away from being safe.

Again, why was that place unsafe?

Because of me. I knew that.

"Ishika, will you stop that?" I asked in monotone to cover up my worry.

"Stop what?" She mumbled, biting her lip, without moving her eyes away from her still tapping foot.

I sighed, realizing that my strictness wasn't going to help her come back to reality soon. So I tapped at the place besides me of the side of the road, telling her to join me. Good thing that it was November, otherwise my butt would've been roasted by now from sitting on the concrete road at two thirty in the afternoon.

Scanning the whole surrounding once again, her eyes stopped once at Jay whom I'd pulled up and made him sit with his back at a lamppost.

He had already lost his consciousness and was bleeding from the back of his head where Ishika hit him. Even though he'd just told her that the people with him had killed her father, the doctor inside her forced her to tie her scarf around his head tightly to stop the bleeding for some time.

"You heard him, right Diya?" Ishika asked me shakily, sitting besides and pulling her knees to her chest.

That Diya wasn't something I think I was used to, cause for second, I felt like she was talking to someone else.

"He said my papa were murdered. Your people killed my papa." Her words came out in low, under confident voice, as if she didn't wanted to believe what she was saying.

I couldn't understand that if she was just repeating what Jay said or was accusing me. But I chose to stay quiet at that moment. Simply cause I had nothing to tell her when I myself didn't know anything. Instinctively, I pulled her small frame into a side hug, rubbing her back, hoping to provide her some comfort.

After few seconds of silence, I heard the scratching of wheels against the roads. The vehicle was still far away but I could sense it since I was on alert mode. Not sure if they were just bypassers or the one help to us with the trouble sitting by the lamppost, or someone to put us in the trouble, I helped Ishika to her feet and instructed her to go and hide by the bushes. But that stubborn girl, she linked her arms in mine.

"We are in this together!" She exclaimed leaving no room for me to argue.

A small part of me was glad by that gesture of hers. At least, that assured me that I wasn't going to loose the only friend I had till now.

"Okay, just first check if its Kabir, and if not then, we have to stay normal and act like walking away."

"What if someone notices him?" She asked, fidgeting with her fingers.

She was nervous, that much was clearly visible. Maybe, I wasn't because I was used to such thing? Instead of wasting my time on those MAYBEs, I started thinking of a way to hide him.

"I just hope it's Kabir." I found myself saying that. The was no way I could let Ishika know that I was hoping to tie or cuff Jay to a chair and ask him as much question I asked myself and the atmosphere around me all time.

"Diya, its Kabir." She exclaimed in a voice filled with relief.

Seconds later, a visibly flustered Kabir rushed out of his SUV parked in the middle of the road, sprinting towards Ishika and pulled her in his embrace. A warm feeling spread in my heart seeing his concern for her.