Chapter 20

Shocks and surprises seemed to have fitted a tracker on me. Wherever I go, they appear and perfectly at the most unexpected moment.

Ishika and I were sharing a deep eyelock, for the time longer than I and Veer ever shared after I woke up from coma. While the two men in the room were left speechless with Ishika's revelation. I didn't know how long was she going to maintain the eyelock, as if she was scanning my soul. But sure enough, I wasn't going to look away even if I wanted to.

Thankfully, her mobile pinged, making turn her eyes to her mobile screen.

"We should be on our way to the hospital." She said numbly, getting off the barstool.

She passed by me, without a word. Kabir was soon behind her, leaving me and Veer alone in the dangerously silent kitchen. He was, definitely, much perplexed as I was about what had just happened. But still, his expression were more chilled, or as icy as ever.

"So?" I mumbled, breaking through the silence.

"Firstly, we should be joining them to the hospital. Let's talk about the other things later. Okay?" Veer emphasized, standing up and adjusting the collar of his shirt before forwarding his hand for me to take.

How long will I have to wait more? And how many more surprises were waiting for me in that later Veer mentioned? The thought of it made my stomach fall in knots. Taking a deep breath, I did place my hand in his, letting him guide me to the entrance.

Did Ishika know me in my past? Have we were met, considering that her mother was too feeling that she'd seen me somewhere.

Kabir was already there at the gate, at the driver seat of a black Mercedes. Veer settled in the passenger seat while talking to someone on his phone. As Ishika set a foot in front to open the backdoor, she stumbled and I caught her before she could fall flat on her face. Retreating quickly, she muttered a thank you with a genuine smile.

"No need of thanking me. We're still friends, right?" I asked, an unwanted nervousness laced in my voice, which, to me, was much unlike me.

Was I afraid of loosing the only friend I had right now?

"Why do you even doubt that?" Ishika questioned me back, with that mischievousness back in her eyes.

Her nonchalant reply had really bemused me.

We quickly got into the car. The journey of first five mins was spent in an comfortable silence. For sometime, I was trying to recall the conversation I had with Sudha. She'd told me that her husband hadn't committed suicide, but was killed by some contract killers.

I wondered if he played a fatherly figure in my life since I was crying alone at his funeral, or so she said. Or was he my mentor, because of which I'd told Veer that the commissioner was supporting me in killing people with pending cases against them. My subconscious mind sent me a warning, to not let my thoughts wander.

"You know, I just realized what a dumb person I am." Ishika divulged, slapping her hand on her forehead.

"What happened?" I asked, not actually glancing at her.

"Sorry Diya, I couldn't recognize you earlier." She, out of the blue, apologized, but to whom, I didn't understand. No one of us was Diya.

Then, I felt her eyes being stuck on my side face. As if she was apologizing to me.

No. Please don't tell me I have got more names for myself.

Ishika looked at me as if I was her long lost puppy, now came back to her as a full grown doggie. Eww...even the thought of it made me feel like throwing up. Luckily, we arrived at the hospital where I was kept before. Three of us got off, while Kabir went to park the car. To my amusement, even Veer seemed to be puzzled with Ishika's words.