Chapter 29

Veer, along with Kabir and Ishika arrived few mins later I hanged up on Erica. All the three of them were tired as hell including me. I was exhausted because of whole days drama and uncovering memories. Its was a long day for everyone, I guess. I dished out the dinner and ate together.

We chatted a bit during dinner. After finishing washing all the dishes, I checked if each and every windows were locked or not. My sister would have my head if I left anyone open.

Veer was going to stay back, I knew that, but Ishika and Kabir also asked that if they could stay back, shocking me. Drive from here to Mehrotra mansion took an hour and they were not sure if they could drive with concentration. I nodded and all four if us gathered in my room.

After some argument, it was decided that Kabir and Veer would take the bed while me and Ishika on the floor. This decision was highly opposed by the boys, but we brushed them off and made our bed on the floor. Floor was more comfortable than bed, I always thought.

Before my eyes started drooping, I asked Ishika, why she didn't recognized me, as I knew that papa talked to her about me. She said that he did never showed my photo to her and that she was told by him to be off contact with me so that problems don't increase between him and his wife.

*Next morning*

"Hey, all of you, I don't want any one misbehaving with another, okay?" I said in a strict tone, but instead giggles erupted. I tried not to smile but couldn't. Kids. I was never strict with any of them. We were at the bus stop, waiting for the school bus, but it was as usual late since its a Monday morning.

Di and I had decided long ago that not like other NGOs, we'll send the kids to school for proper education, as long as we can. We were lucky that government helped us by paying 50% of their fees. Even the school is cooperative and we try our best to feed them, cloth them and cherish them.

Only two little cutie pies were too young to be in school and Zoya was taking care of them. When the bus halted at the stop, I helped each and every kid in and waved them off.

You did this after two years, didn't you?

Yes, and it feels great to be around them.

I know..

I headed back to home thinking about anything and everything. Yesterday, the man who came to meet me was the owner if the apartment I'd rented in Andheri.

Once, I had asked him to drop off all my stuff to home if I didn't return for ten days. I think he took it very seriously or he got any other and normal tenant who don't come and go at any time without considering day of night or disappearing for days.

God! Ten days passed after I've woke up from coma. Today is the thirteenth day after the life threatening attacked on me. It happened on 1st November. On 31st Oct, Veer proposed me and I was attacked the next day.

Don't go there in the morning at least.

Okay mam!

The owner had dropped just one single bag along with my bike, because that's what was all I carried or I had. I was filled within with joy and relief when I found my IDs and certificate in the bag. I had tears I my eyes when I got them back.

This is it. Now no one can question me if I'm really Aadhya or not? Now I can live my life as Aadhya. I have all the proofs.

Really! You think that these few paper works prove that your Aadhya. Then I'm really very very sorry for you being the biggest idiot I've ever met. No baby, your identity doesn't lies in those papers and cards. Your identity is something what you create, what you achieve, what's your personality is! What you do not for living but in life. These are just few craps of paper, my dear. Your identity is what you are and how you are. Paper works can be forged, but you, Aadhya, you cannot be forged. This is what your identity means, baby.

I was left dumbstruck by my subconscious mind's words. 'She's right' I thought as my legs move in forward direction.

I'm mostly Right. If you'd noticed.

I have. Thank you

Always.

It felt nice to hear her out, get her opinions. As I reached back, Di was pulling out her scooter from the garage. She kissed my cheek before leaving and also informed that her college is finding a replacement for Math Professor and that I can try my luck. I note down the interview timing, which is today and kiss her cheek before she leaves.

Veer had already left when I was helping the kids to get ready. I scowled at him when he was leaving without having his breakfast. He instead pouted which melted my anger away.

Kabir and Ishika left bit later. I told them to try coming back here, early. I needed to discuss a lot of things with them. Kabir nodded while Ishika made a face. I just pulled her cheeks and asked her to get out. She stuck her tongue out and we giggled.

Papa would've been so happy to see us together like this.

Later, I finished assigning my certificates and IDs in proper order along with my CV. Now the big question was what to wear for the interview. All I had here were too fancy for an interview. I scanned my whole closet, trying to locate the plain white kurti I had. At last, when I found it hiding in the corner I came to know that it wouldn't fit me now!

Ugghhh!

Troubled, I sat on my bed chewing my nails. What to do now?

Aadhya, this isn't the first time your are going to give your interview there. For God's sake, you worked there for two years. And who told you that it is necessary to wear white for an interview

No one, I guessed.

Done then, no more white!

Lastly, I settled on a royal blue kurti and white leggings. Tying my hair into a neat braid, I searched for my bike keys that the owner dropped of today. Till today, I can't believe that my Royal Enfield Bullet 350 is still in one piece knowing the way I ride.

Ride to the university was not too long on my bike and with the speed I ride. It was like I was riding for the first time. I always enjoyed each and every ride on my bullet. I parked it besides my sister's TVS scooty. I made my way to the main administration building. I tell the receptionist that I'm there for an interview and she ushers me into the principal's room.

Same room, I recognize. Nothing mostly has changed. I wait to be interviewed by the officials in the empty room. I once again go through the points I noted down for the interview.

I hear the door creak open and stand up for greeting them. The principal was some old lady, I didn't knew so was the trustee. I noticed that the third chair was empty. I rectified my posture and was about present my file when the door was opened haughtily.

I turned back to see my sister walking towards me with a secret challenging spark in her eyes and knowing smile on the lips.

What the hell!

Suddenly she changed her way and swiftly sat on the empty chair. I was shocked beyond hell. She shook her hands with the gentleman there and nodded at the old lady.

"So ladies and gentleman sorry for being late. Let's begin. File miss?"

Oh! This was going to be interesting!

* Evening *

"Here's your coffee." Di said, handing me my coffee mug and settled herself opposite to me. We were helping the kids to complete their homework. Something that she did alone for two years.

"Didi, help me out with this sum please!" Priya, a eight year old girl, asked me. I turned towards her and started explaining her the method.

Interview was indeed interesting. It was my sister who asked me most of the difficult questions. But I was smart enough at that moment to answer back quickly. They were impressed by my performance, I was sure of that by their secret smiles and glinting eyes.

They said that they'd have to choose the best and I was the best then a letter would arriving letting me know about it. I had one more week to wait for the letter.

The day passed so swiftly without noticing. I got a call from Ishika informing me that there are a last set if tests I've to undergo before the operation which was scheduled three days later. Sudha, Ishika's mother was going to operate me, or that's what Ishika told me.

One thing that didn't fit properly in the present sence was Sudha. Because I left her being exceptionally sweet to me in Mehrotra mansion but during Papa's funeral, when I went to her just to give her a support, she pulled me aside and said that she doesn't wants me to be near her or her daughter and that she still dislikes me for drawing her husband anyway from her and her daughter.

But now, few days back, she talked to me so pleasantly. Now, I was in shock that if she's the same Sudha who despised me or not. But then, I brushed off the thought.

I had more things on my plate to deal with.

* Night *

Sitting on the steps of he veranda and admiring the green surrounding we'd created in a peaceful full moon night was something I missed a lot. I looked up to the sky, twinkling stars. Stars, moon and I always has some sort of connection. We conversed together in silence, always. My sister used to call idiot, but I always ignored her and continued our conversation.

My fingers ran over the bracelet on my wrist, the one I gifted myself on my twenty fourth birthday, the day which changed me drastically.

I revised through the question I came up with when I'd forgotten everything and now I had answers for most of them after talking to Veer on phone today afternoon when he had his lunch break.

I asked him why he'd called me DA because he never called me that ever. I actually never wanted him to call me anything but only Aadhya. He answered that he was testing my memory, trying to know if recalled anything hearing it.

I came know that the man who was following us when we were heading to Mehrotra mansion when I saw him handshaking with the follower was one if him secret employee from human resources department and no one I've known.

We talked about his past actions. But I wasn't going to judge him over his past and neither he me. We were okay to get over everything and restart together. We were to set a marriage date along with Ishika and Kabir's since his Grandma was going to be back soon.

Yesterday, he returned my phone back, which surprisingly he was carrying with him all time to give it to me. But it wasn't switching on of he took it back to repair it.

My chain of thoughts was cut by a horn. I got up as Mehrotra brothers and Ishika came in. Maya Di was working on a presentation in her office while Arnav was off to Rajasthan for some reasons that I didn't knew.

I dished out dinner for Di and kept the plate in front of her so that she doesn't skips her dinner. After that I started to set up the table and Ishika helped me and we dined in silence.

Later, we were back to the verandah, with Kabir lowest step, leaning back onto the wall while Ishika leaning onto him. Me and Veer were mirroring their position leaning onto the railing.

"Well, Aadhya, I'd like to know why are we gathered here?" Kabir, as always, poked me with his question.

"Kabir, why do you dislike me so much?" He visibly stiffened while Veer and Ishika shared an amused smile. Moments later, Om relaxed and gave me a smile that I only was once when said 'Welcome to the family, Aadhya'.

He cleared his throat before speaking up."Its not like that, Aadhya. The situation in which he brought you was scary and your operation landed you in coma. Veer blamed me for it. I knew that he was disturbed and hence said so but I hurt and got so so much jealous of you.

You were so important for him that he said those words to me, me, his brother. Even he behaved rudely with Ishika a lot of time. So may be I did it for sorta revenge. But now I'm over it. So friends? "

He extended his hand to me which I gladly excepted.

"Only if you cook biryani for me whenever I ask." He laughed but nodded in yes.

I knew that he loved his brother too much, just as his brother loved him.

"In my defense, I behaved like that to Ishika only when she came between us. I was jealous of her too. But we are okay now, right Ishika?" Veer scratched the back of his neck which he usually does when he's unsure. I internally laughed.

"Of course, Veer. We are okay." She gave him a 100 volt smile which he reprocated.

"Veer how did you find me?" I shot the next question.

"Are playing the KBC with us? Then you have to tell us how much amount we'd win." Kabir asked with a smug on his face. Didn't he just forwarded his hand for friendship mins before?

"No Kabir, I'm not playing any sort of game. I'm just unsure!" I said, with a sigh. Now, I had all of their attention, made me fidget with my fingers.

"Hey, Anu, are you okay?" She asked, completely concerned and moved in forward direction, towards me and clutched both of my hands in hers.

"I'm noticing from yesterday that you're trying to say something. What's it?" I never thought that she'd observe it. Frankly, I expected her to shove me away when she got to know that I was her Papa's Aadhya. But she, instead, excepted me as Veer's Aadhya.

Focus Aadhya, you have to tell her.

Yes!

"Ishika" My serious expression cleared out every type of humorous expression from her face. I squeezed her hand. "Papa didn't commit suicide, it was a murder."

Her expression gradually changed from normal to horrified to lost. She seemed to be lost. It was like just a tornado had hit her and she couldn't find her way out.

Of course, her reaction was expected. Veer was already aware of that that I was working with them for some personal reason.

A flash of Papa hanging from the ceiling fan in his library appeared but I hurrily dismissed it.

You can't go there!

I know.

Ishika looked here and there, not understanding how to take in the new piece of information. Kabir shook her a bit by her shoulders and she looked up at him, painstakingly. I felt so bad for breaking out such a crucial information like a snap.

Kabir pulled her close to him. Tears brimmed I'm her eyes as she hugged him and rested her head in his chest.

"Papa." She called out, softly. "I knew it. I told everyone that he wasn't the one who'd commit suicide. I tried to file a case, but they, instead thought me as a poor daddy's girl, who couldn't handle her father's death. But I had to give up when mum convinced me.."

She sobbed unable to speak. She gestured me to continue, taking me aback. Well, this was unexpected. Yet, I told her everything, slowly, so that she could take in everything.

After I finished, I noticed that Veer's arms were around me too. Yet, Ishika didn't pull back her hands from mine. I turned around to Veer as her squeezed my shoulder lightly, showing his support.

"Anu." I turned to Ishika. "You know, I was never ever jealous of you. Instead, your arrival helped me to keep them separate, because together they were disastrous. Abroad was my only way to keep them away from each other and so I proposed that idea. I wanted to do that from a longtime, but couldn't agree on leaving dad alone. But when you came, I knew that now my dad won't be alone, so I left with mum."

"Ishika, why did you wanted them to live apart?" Veer asked.

"Because, they didn't wanted to live with each. His and her profession didn't gave them time for each other. Misunderstandings cooked up. Then, living with them became more suffocating." She didn't go further and neither of us wanted her to.

We sat in silence. It was done, I told Ishika the truth. But one thing was still unsettling for me.

"Ishika, your mother told me that everyone except you knew that it was a murder but they didn't have enough proof to prove it." Ishika's expression was priceless.

"What?" This was Kabir. Both of them stared at me as if they've seen my real identity as an alien.

"I was with Ishika, to give her shoulder, moral support, you know! Her mother literally begged to Ishika to stop thinking his suicide as murder. She once slapped Ishika and asked her to except the reality."

This piece of information confused me. Because, I was sure, that it was a murder. I told her mother, she asked me not to create more troubles in her and Ishika's life and to leave them alone that I did.

"They found a note which they called as suicide note. He wrote about his problems in it. It started with 'To my dearest (they know themselves)'. It was for us, you know that right?"

I nodded. Even though, they always kept me and Ishika unknown from each other, we knew a lot of things about each other. Veer and Kabir were too quiet, not knowing what to say.

Ishika expressed that she was some how revealed to know that her father wasn't a coward as people said after his death.

"I'm still not sure how mum talked to. you patiently. I mean I didn't knew that you were Anu, but she did. But, leave this topic, its so depressing, let's talk about something else."

We all agreed. The next topic we came up with was wedding. We didn't knew how long we were sitting and arguing over just a petty theme thing.

I dreamily told Veer abouty fascination for weddings on beach. What I didn't knew that my idiot fiancé took it too seriously. Ishika, for the first time didn't argue, but agreed with Veer. Kabir on the other hand got up and walked to me and kneeled in front of me.

Little stunned, I leaned behind as he pulled me into a tight hug, saying thank you. It was his dream to get married to Ishika on the same beach he proposed her, Goa beach.

I saw a knowing smile creeping on mine and Veer's lips, reminiscing our first kiss on the same beach. I could say than this time, I can considered as one of the happy times in my life.

Veer had his arms wrapped around me, tightly, my back pressed against his chest. We were comfortable like this, so much comfortable. In last three months, at lot of things happened, good things. I got Veer, at the point of my life where I was about to give up on my romantic life.

I had no boyfriends, ever, because I believed in waiting for my prince charming. Here he was, my prince charming. I won't say that he's the best person ever I've met, not that he's flawless. He's not at all like the Prince who comes to save his damsel in distress. But then, who said I was a damsel in distress?

You are anything but damsel in distress? Nah! Never. It would be a  pathetic joke, you know!

I know, and do thought that you were asleep.

Never baby, I won't sleep until you do, because you tend to do a lot of idiotic things is my absence.

Really?

Completely!

Huh!

I glanced at Veer, feeling his eyes stuck on my cheeks. I'm sure that they were slightly reddened due to our intimate position, but I didn't care. He kissed me on my cheek as smiled.

There are always few unsaid things in a relationship, one feels but never admits and the other knows but never asks and this is the bridge of understanding the have between them.

Later, when we, I mean Ishika got too tired, they left surprisingly not for my room but for Mehrotra mansion. I tried to make them to stay, but they firmly said no. So went to drop them off till the car.

Before leaving, both of them hugged me, taking me aback. Well, this was unexpected. I smiled and hugged back. Kabir said something to Veer in his ear while Veer nodded silently.

What's going on there?

Ask him!

After they left, Veer and I returned back to my room, changed and sat on the couch, as we weren't yet ready to sleep.

"Aadhya, you remember the first time I came here, day before yesterday." I was sleeping with my head on his lap. God! I can really get used to it. He was playing with my hair.

"Yes, who can forget that. You showed up drunk and I was so horrified to see someone at the window. If you would've not stuck your nose to the glass, I would've mistook you as a robber or attacker and then God knows what would've happened." I laughed remembering his slurring voice and uncoordinated steps.

"You drove till here you know! I thought that while coming you surely ran over a lot of people with your car." I laughed but he didn't, so I sat up straight and asked his what was bothering him.

"Aadhya, you asked me how I found you." His words pulled out all the air from my lungs.

Shit! This is serious.

Eager for information, I just nodded. He continued his story, that I called his to trace my location and help me. My voice was so shaky that he was scared too. I shared my location with him and he reached there in twenty minutes, alone. When he exactly found my location, he saw me lying on the road, with four men standing around me.

Before he could plan anything to divert their attention, someone from other side if the road shoot them, picked up the half burnt file and escaped. It happened so fast that he couldn't understand anything.

He ran to me and checked my pulse. Seeing me like that made him die thousand times, he said.

When he found that I was alive, he didn't wait for anything but picked me up and rushed to his brother's research hospital, because, in any other hospital, he would've had to register a police complaint and the wasn't sure that what would they do if they found out and I used to do something against the laws.

His brother thought that he had to do something with my condition, so he acted like a bitch to him. After he finished, Veer cupped my cheeks and joined our foreheads.

"Never do this thing to me. Okay! See you like that..that.. You..kn..know how I felt...I felt...l.like someone was...stt..stabbing me..me with a knife in my heart."

For the first time in three months, I saw him stuttering. More shocking to me was his slightly wet cheeks.

"You're crying? Oh my God. Come here." I hugged him, tightly. Oh boy, he's really too good for me. He settled his chin on my shoulder.

"Never leave me Aadhya." He said, like a whisper.

Oh! What good did you do to get such a loving man?

May be, this time happiness has planned to stay with me for a long time.

"I won't, love" I assures him. But he broke our embrace and forwarded his pinky finger.

"Pinky promise?" He asked with slightly red cheeks. Oh God. I stared into his blueish green orbs, the one so deep, just like ocean, the ocean I'd like to drown in.

"You will leave me when you'll know what I do, Veer" Aadhya said, sitting on his lap in the beautiful ooty mountain top. Yesterday, she got her new assignment, new target. It was  Veer, and she was scared to loose him.

"No Aadhya, I won't. Ever. My love for you is more stronger then the negativity of your work." But she wasn't convinced.

"Pinky promise?" She held out her pinky finger.

He smiled and linked their pinky fingers.

"Pinky promise"

I smiled and linked my pinky finger with his.

"Pinky promise."

*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*

4236 words

This book is gonna end soon.

Vote"comment"follow

Aruvi❤