Chapter 33

Aadhya's POV

"You are going to the Mehrotra office, as a fashion designer, in this costume?" Ishika complained, dropping on my bed as soon as she entered in the room. Drying my hair I stood in front of the mirror, checking out myself and was satisfied by looks.

"I'm going there to work and not for a fashion show and this isn't a costume." I plained out my black off shoulder kurti paired with cream colour leggings.

"Which is technically for a fashion show!" She chimed in. Ignoring her remark, I ran my fingers through my hair, caressing them. It really takes lot of hard work to maintain my waist length, silky hair. I strapped my watch on my left wrist and moon bracelet on the right.

Sudden silence in the atmosphere made me suspicious. Slowly twirling back, I found Ishika lost in thoughts. Taking slow baby steps, I reached near the bed and was just about to shout in her ears when she turned her face to me, with a sarcastic smile labelled on her lips. She brought her index finger under my chin and closed shut my mouth.

"Tumhari toh tai tai phis ho gayi. (Your plan failed)" She laughed.

"What were you thinking?" I asked her, because there was no way she was faking of being lost. I know she was lost in thoughts. She is used to play with a single unruly strand of her hair, whenever she's thinking hard.

"I was just thinking about papa's death." She quickly turned to me, making me the centre of her attention.

"Did you found out who did that to him?" Her sudden change in the direction of conversation confused me. But then, we never got chance to discuss about this. She wanted to know, just like I did. Just the time she chose wasn't excepted. Yet, I decided to answer.

"I don't know Ishika." Rubbing my forehead, I settled besides her and took her hands in mine.

"I regained my complete memory except of the day I was about to get hold of that file. Still, I know o hot that file which doesn't exists now. Only of I get back memory of that day, we'd get the answers."

I sometimes feel like laughing on myself. First I lost my memory and was desperate to know about my life. When I got back my almost memory, I'm desperate to regain the small part of memory I didn't. Even if I gain it, what's the surety that I saw the name or not?

"But you said that papa had a company?" Her words put a full stop on my train of thoughts. I could see in her eyes, the desperation she'd covered deep in her heart, to find her Papa's death's reason.

"Yes. Its true" I replied.

Even though, I just found two empty tea cups doesn't mean that his buddy present there was somehow connected to his death. But the cups were warm when I picked them up. Doesn't this indicates that there was very small gap of time for the person to leave and papa to hang himself and me to arrive there.

What was he thinking when he hanged himself? He didn't even thought to talk to his daughters for a last time? Did his buddy there forced him to write the suicide note?

But, why did he contacted his wife?

"Your Mom told me that she spoke to him before his death. She admitted that he was considering committing suicide." I just wanted to see her reaction.

She exclaimed that her mother told her the same thing. I tried to recollect the conversation I had with Sudha few days back when she was here. But I couldn't really remember what she told me.

"Wasn't your mother shocked to see me here?" I asked.

"Even if she was, she didn't disclose it to me that you are that Aadhya. Moreover, we talk less now." Her tone clear was displeased one.

We sat for some moment in silence Then she suddenly jumped out of the bed freaked out. "Oh my God. I'm sorry. Today's your first day of work, a new start and I'm pulling you back, spoiling it." Her realization made me laughed and I waved it off, telling her it didn't matter.

"Its okay." I said. Standing up and reaching out for the folder filled with my designs and my phone, I shoved them nicely in an black leather bag Veer gave me yesterday. He very well knew that I would never carry a handbag. Then I rushed to the other side of the bed and picked the pillow scooping my gun below it.

"Don't tell me you're taking it too." Ishika hissed, but I can see the spark of amusement in her eyes.

"This is a part of me, Ishika. I'm used to carry it everywhere and Veer knows it." Stating it, I walked our of the room with her following me.

"You're not like other girls, you know." She commented as we reached downstairs. My response came as 'I don't intend to be like other girls' where in she added a 'touché'.

The Mehrotra brothers were present at the dining room. They are deeply engrossed in their discussion which of course, gave them pleasure considering the grin on their face, showing off their identical dimples.

"Good morning." We chimed catching their attention. Both the men waved at us and then resumed their discussion. I nodded in disbelief when both of them squealed at a certain point during our breakfast.

"Aren't they acting like high school cheerleaders?" Ishika commented in low voice and I gave an approving nod. After we finished our breakfast and luckily both the men completed their discussion, we decided to leave.

Khanna ji had already brought two cars near the main door. He looked at for of us and smiled with amusement before leaving. I looked around to see what he found amusing. Ishika and Kabir were standing at one side with their white coats in their hand. While I and Veer on the other side, with office bags in our hands.

One doctor couple and one business couple.

Kabir and Ishika hugged me and wished me luck and left. Veer led me to his black Volkswagen beetle. What's with guys and cars? I never understood Veer's love and craze for cars.

I accidentally hit a lamppost when I was driving his car and he told me that he has a very small collection of thirteen cars. Keyword small.

It wasn't something I supported. For me, its wastage of money.

The car drive was just for ten mins, which was completely spent in silence, making me anxious. I began to question myself decision again. No matter how many times my subconscious mind tried to calm me down, she failed.

All the way, I kept fidgeting with my fingers. I forced myself to keep my mouth shut and not ask my fiance to drive me back to Mehrotra mansion.

You have to do it!

But I'm scared. What if I mess up?

If you mess up, the you have to have to will to make it right. Haven't you heard that, where there's will, there's a way.

You make it sound so easy.

Its not easy, but its worth trying.

I don't know.

You do. You are just too scared to let him down. You think you got the chance very easily.

May be.

As if he understood my internal turmoil, Veer stretched out his hand, taking my hand in his and entwined our fingers. I glanced up from my lap to his eyes and his reassuring smile. But still, there was some amount of anxiety left in me.

Mustering up some courage, I unveiled my worries in front if him.

"Veer, agar maine koi raita phaila diya toh. (What if I mess up?) "

"Toh hum dono milke sametlenge! (Then we'll clear it up together)" He replied with utmost compassion. His reply my heart flatter. All the anxiety, worries faded by his single sentence.

I smiled and brought our entwined hands to my lips, kissing the back of his palm.

"Let's go." He said and then I realized that we were already there. I got down the car with bit more confidence then I entered in. I had my bag in one arm and other looped into his arm.

In front of me was a twenty storey building of glass with the name MEHROTRA FABRICS written above in silver and bordered by what looked like diamonds.

As we entered the building, the guard there stood up to salute Veer. Veer smiled and wished him good morning and I copied Veer's actions. He reminded me of the guard in Ishika's research lab.

The reception was high ceilinged, off white painted area. Whole area was decorated by different types of fabric pieces. There were even collages of fabrics, which looked like amazing paintings and they were fantastic.

Veer led me to a big room on the ground floor, which looked like an assembly hall. Only one sixth portion of the hall was occupied by staff wearing different colour of uniforms. I mean, there was a group in blue, a group on white and so on.

The chattering noise indicated that there might me more that fifty

"Each colour indicates the sector they belong to or the fabric they manufacture." He answered my unsaid question.

Besides the stage, I spotted a lady in white shirt and maroon red pants. Even there was no single strand of her hair hanging out if her tight bun. Her pose, the minimal make up on her face spoke about the business attitude itself.

When she noticed us approaching her, a small yet welcoming smile appeared on her face which shockingly reached her grey eyes. She can be friendly, I guessed.

Veer left my hand for a moment so that I could shake my hands with her. But his hands found their way to my waist.

"I'm Ruhi. Ruhi Malhotra." She introduced herself.

"Aadhya. Just Aadhya." I shook had with confidence. We dropped our bags near the stage. Veer then pulled a reluctant me with him on the stage. All the chattering died just by his two words.

"Good morning." His soft voice was completely changed into an authoritative one. Few people threw curious glances at me.

I took in the whole surroundings. All of them saw Veer with utmost respect and bit of fear. Perfect combination to look up to a righteous boss.

Breaking the silence, Veer announced that the event's work would start from today. He gave a short motivational speech, telling that the event can only be successful if the managing unit and manufacturing unit worked together and maintain rapport with each other.

It left like he was a commander, motivating his warriors for the war.

I used to feel that I was only one who was charmed by his words. But no, there were so many of them looking at him like he was their ideal. He was well versed in choosing appropriate words in appropriate situation. For the whole time, his hands were on my hips

Further, when his speech finished, he gave me a look which said 'be ready' and I nodded in okay with a smile even if my legs begged to run away.

He removed his hand from my waist and held my hand. Even though he was addressing his workers, his eyes didn't leave mine.

"This is Aadhya. Our new fashion designer."

As soon as he spoke, few gasps and lot of muttering under breathe were heard, shaking my confidence. If they don't accept me, it would be very tough for me to work here.

Suddenly a man, nearly I his early forties raised his hand. Veer nodded and a mike was passed to him.

"Is she a professional designer?" He inquired and Veer replied no.

"She isn't a professional designer, she doesn't even looks like one. So, are you giving her this opportunity just because she's your would be wife?"

His question was an expected one, but what I missed to expect was Veer's reply.

"May be she should answer your question." He said, snatching the ground beneath me. My eyes might have bulged out if their sockets due to the wide eyed look I was giving him. Even Ruhi saw him like he was the world's biggest idiot.

He handed me the mike and whispered in ears that it was my battle, he can only stand behind me but the battle has to be fought by me.

I gripped the mike with both my hands and stepped forward.

Don't loose in the battle without fighting.

I won't.

"Sir, your name please." I asked in a calm and soothing voice. His face held stoney expression but his eyes softened a bit.

"You can call me Prakash." He said.

I turned back once, to find Veer smiling at me and blinked his eyes, asking me go and fight.

"Prakash ji, I know its tough to except that a new and inexperienced person will we working for such a big and famous event. Even if would be more tough that the person got the chance so easily.

But don't you believe Mr Mehrotra and his decisions? You think he'll announce my name just because I'm his fiancee.? I can assure you that its not like this.

He had seen my designs and knows my love for my work. I know, being inexperienced, I might make mistakes here and there. But I'll learn from them. Once someone told me, when people work together, mistakes are pointed out at early time and then easily rectified.

The one who is experienced and successful mostly work to impress, but people like me work to express. I don't want to work here as an outsider but as a part of this family.

Yes, I needed a chance and I was lucky enough to get it soon. But, I will oy proceed if you'll approve me. The decision of me working here or not is in your hands.

No need to judge my work by my words and my dressing sense. I have my designs here, see them once, please and then decide."

I hurriedly got down the stage. Ignoring the chatters around, I unzipped my bag and pulled out set of copies of my designs and put them in Ruhi hands. I nearly tripped before, looking back once and walked out of the room leaving my bag there

My hands and legs were shaking like a leaf on the tree. I leaned against the wall in the corridor and exhaled.

Trust me, it wasn't easy at all. My heartbeats weren't ready to decrease their speed. I bent and placed my hands on my knees, huffing as if I just ran in a race.

Its just the start.

I know.

Sound if footsteps approaching me snapped me out of my reverie. Veer swiftly scooped me up in his arms and made his way to the elevator. I punched the button and leaned onto his shoulder.

If Veer made me stand now, sure I'll hit the floor the next second. Elevator opened and Veer stepped in.

"Press top button." He said something for the first time after he swept me off my feet.

I pressed the button with T O P top written on it. Further, I noticed that on all the buttons, instead of floor numbers, names of different fabrics were written. I gave Veer a puzzled look.

Veer showed his front teeth. "Managing unit staff couldn't remember which fabric was manufactured on which floor. So I got this idea. All seventeen fabrics on seventeen floors, two floors for managing unit and top most for had cabins for the managing and manufacturing unit heads, my cabin and presentation room."

We exited the elevator and he carried me to his office. The floor had its own reception and a L shaped couch was there in waiting area. Whole area gave woody look, from floor to ceiling.

He put me on my feet and opened the door for his cabin. His office, on the other side was completely different from outside. Grey walls, black table and chairs, a coffee machine. The wall behind the table was of look through glass, giving a clear view of Mumbai's marine drive. I walked up to the glass wall and put hand on it, admiring the sea.

"I love Mumbai." I whispered as he wrapped his arms around my waist.

I placed my hands over his and leaned into him and closed my eyes when I finally discovered what I did. Closing my eyes, I recalled the way my wobbly feet took me out of the assembly hall, the way I embarrassed myself.

"I'm sorry." I managed to say without cracking. My last job was better than this. No attention, no explanation, no attachments, no expectations, no interest and no passion. Never in my whole life, I've addressed a crowd. Not even in school's elocution competition.

"I'm so proud of you." His comment made me snap open my eyes. I scowled at his reflection in front of me. He saw my expression in my reflection and chuckled, turning me around to face him. His both hands rested on my shoulders.

"You overcame your stage fear, spoke for yourself. You promised to work only with their consent. You said that you wanted to be a part of their family. Do you still think you didn't win their hearts?"

He made his point very clear and somewhere, I felt of right too, but I shouldn't have high hopes, right?

"Ruhi is talking to each and every sector head and will let us know the decision." He said and made me sit on his seat, forcefully and started massaging my shoulders. His fingers on my bare shoulders gave me the feeling of butterflies in my stomach.

"Why are you doing this?" I asked.

"Your doctor personally warned me to keep less stressed." He said making faces and I laughed. Ishika was really an impossible person.

"Ruhi is a charming women." I broke the silence after few mins.

"She's indeed and a very good friend. She is management unit's head. She was in her last year if fashion designing when she realized that she wasn't really into designing bit fabrics. She'll help you with everything."

Good, I can make a single friend here at least.

I looked around his table and picked up the photo frame on it. Veer, Kabir and their Grandma.

"You don't talk about you Grandma." I pointed it out to him. His hands on my shoulders freezed. A dry laugh left his mouth and he walked away facing the sea.

"My mumma belonged to a middle class family. She had only one dream in her life, settling down without worrying that the electricity might be cut off due to the unpaid bill or the house owner will her and her widow mother out because she couldn't pay her rent.

But she was a smart and A grave student, who got scholarship in a famous college where my dad studied. He was smitten by her charming attitude. Somehow, they fell in love. But dadi didn't approve. Going against his mother, dad married mumma. Till today, even if my mumma's no more, my dadi doesn't likes her. Since, I was mumma's boy, just like her, my dadi loves me bit less than Kabir.

So you see, I don't have that great bonding with her."

This was the first time I heard him speaking about his parents. First time, I heard him being sad. I got up and went towards him, stepping in the space between the glass and him. Sneaking my arms around his waist I kissed his cheeks. I wanted to tell him that I'm there, in all time. I just wanted to fill all the voids I'm his heart with my love for him.

"I love you." I said.

"I love you." He replied, with a sad smile.

We stayed in each other's embrace, in complete soothing silence for some time before a knock on the door brought us back to this world. We parted away but still stood hand in hand.

Ruhi came in with a small friendly smile plastered on her face. She had my bag in her hand which she dropped near the door

"Hi, Miss Malhotra." I said in polite voice, but I'm sure she sensed the tension in my body by the way I was gripping Veer's hand. Good for me, he didn't wince.

"Veer. Aadhya. Congratulations. All the sector heads decided to give her a chance. Let's say, they were impressed my her idea to express."

Ruhi exclaimed with a cheeky grin and sat on the chair in front of the table.

I was on cloud nine and instantly wrapped my arms around Veer's neck. Ruhi laughed at my antique action. A large grin crackled upon my lips and was mirrored on Veer's.

"You did it." Veer's voice was laced with joy and I nodded like a kid.

"Veer." Ruhi called him out. "I have to say, she's very beautiful and talented. Lucky catch you got there." Her comment made me blush. I got off Veer and went to other side joining her. Veer got a call and excused himself.

"When's the event?" I asked because it was important to know the deadline.

"16th December." Ruhi said. My heart dropped in my stomach. Just a month? Ruhi, who noticed my expression placed her hand on mine and squeezed it lightly.

"Don't worry, we are here." She said with a smile.

I smiled at her and muttered a thank you. She further asked me to toss the formalities in the dustbin. She even forwarded her hand.

"Friends?" She asked

"Friends." I declared.

We decided to start the discussion.

"Do you know all 17 types of fabrics?" Ruhi shot first question.

"Yes." I answered confidently. When she asked me to name them, I recited according to the list I once found on internet and fitted it in my mind.

1. Cotton
2. Silk
3. Wool
4. Linen
5. Nylon
6. Georgette
7. Velvet
8. Satin
9. Denim
10. Rayon
11. Chiffon
12. Polyester
13. Leather
14. Viscose
15. Crepe
16. Lycra
17. Lace

"Good." She commented. Next she told me what was expected to do. There has to be ten outfits of each fabrics. That means total 170 fabrics. There are two tailors for each fabric. I just had to explain them the design, pattern and folds. They'll stitch of accordingly and then I can completion the outfit with whatever work needed on it.

But the main problem was to decided which design for which fabric. Because here, we had to choose design for fabrics and not fabrics for design.

Once decided, I had to contact the sector's head and explain him first. Ruhi cleared out all my other doubts.

Veer returned back.

"Ruhi, can you clear up the last cabin on this floor for her? I have an important video conference in fifteen minutes." Veer said.

Ruhi nodded and instantly left. I gestured Veer to come and sit in front of me, so he did.

"Thank you, Veer. For helping me live my dreams." I spoke my heart out.

"Aadhya, I'm just doing what a good husband should do. Helping ones wife in the kitchen, taking her to movies and shopping, spending some good time with her aren't the only duties of a husband. But learning what her dreams are and help her to fulfill them is the prime duty of a good husband."

As always, he words casted a charm spell on me.

*_*_*_*_*_*_*_

3960 words

Vote"comment"follow

Aruvi❤