Twenty-Eight

The car is packed with their most essential items. Abel and Thomas's car seats are strapped in and there's an open seat in the middle for Ellie to sit. Tara had room in the middle so she could help with her brothers if her and Jax were busy driving. Tara's happy as she gets the boys dressed early in the morning. Ellie's already awake, sitting in the living room with her bag. She had earbuds in listening to music on the new MP3 player her mom bought. She's chewing gum, zoned off in her own little world, she doesn't even notice her grandma walk through the door. Jax comes out of his bedroom after strapping a pistol to his ankle.

"Hey baby," Gemma greets as she kisses Ellie on the head. Jax greets her, "Hey mom. What are you doing here?"

"Well, you're taking my grandkids on a one way trip to Oregon. You think I'm not gonna say goodbye?"

"It's just four or five days."

"Where's Elyda?"

"I'm gonna take up Tara and the kids. Turn it into a little family vacation."

"Out of state? You're on release."

"No, we're staying in state. The conference is a few hours over the border. And I'll have Rogue River keep an eye on them up in Oregon."

"Does Clay know?"

"He will after you tell him."

"We got stuff with the Irish."

"I'll be back day after tomorrow."

"What about the Mexicans?"

"Nothing for us to do. It's an internal beef. We've been told to stay out of it."

Even though Ellie has no idea what they're talking about, she can see her grandma doesn't want them to leave. Tara carries Thomas and Abel walks beside her as Jax motions Ellie to stand up, "Say goodbye to grandma."

Gemma hugs her granddaughter tight, "I'm gonna miss you, baby."

"We're not gonna be gone that long." Ellie tries to reassure her as they all walk out to the front yard. Jax locks the door up as Tara gets the boys strapped in. Ellie waves at Gemma before getting into the car. Tara starts the car, Jax talks with his mother before getting in the driver's seat, they head out. Gemma watches them leave.

"I packed a lunch," Tara tells Jax and Ellie, "I figured we could stop at that park outside Walnut Grove."

"Great. I like that park." Jax smiles, relieved to have his kids safe and get them away from club shit for a few days.

~ SOA ~ ~ SOA ~

Clay meets with Romeo's contract assassin and gives him the bag of cash and location info, up the I-99 highway.

"Destination info. She left about 20 minutes ago. She'll take 99 to the 5. It's all there."

"Okay, good."

"I want it clean, I want it painless."

"Don't mess up her face."

"Understood."

Clay hurries back to the club and finds Gemma waiting for him. She tells him Jax is with Tara. This is bad news for Clay. Jax would fight back, mess up the plan. Clay calls Romeo and wants to stop the hit.

"Hey, we got a problem. I need for you to stop what we set in motion this morning."

"Why?"