Thirty-Two

Jax visits his father early in the morning. He finds the "SO" and "NS" rings still laying on top of his headstone. He slips them back on, looking down at his father's grave, "I'm sorry," He says.

~ SOA ~ ~ SOA ~

"Did you know that Clay wanted my old lady dead? Were you the ones he hired?"

"He thought she knew too much about our business. We wouldn't have hurt her."

"You did hurt her."

"We were going to debrief her, keep her in protective custody. I'm sorry for what happened. But we've gotta ask, is she a threat?"

"No."

"Then why did Clay want her dead?"

"It's a family problem."

~ SOA ~ ~ SOA ~

Jax visits Clay in the hospital. Tig is at his bedside, but Clay is asleep. Jax gets a minute alone. He looks over Clay as he sleeps, sneering at him, fighting off the urge to kill him. He takes out the syringe Tara gave him. He starts to close the blinds, but Clay wakes up. He puts the syringe away and takes out a knife. Jax holds his knife to his stepfather's throat, "I read the letters. I know you killed my father. Piney. You tried to kill Tara."

"Please," Clay gasps, "Son."

"Don't call me that. The only reason I am not slicing you open right now is because I need this cartel deal to happen and those prick Irishmen won't deal with anyone else."

"You gotta let me tell you-"

"No. You're done telling me anything. Now I tell you. You're stepping down as president. You can sit at the table. You can have a vote. But that's it. You keep the Irish happy and you stay out of my goddamn way. If you don't I'll let the club read the letters. And I let Opie tell everyone you murdered his old man."

"Who gave you the letters?"

"Doesn't matter."

"Gemma?"

"You stay away from Tara and my mother."

"This is a mistake-" Clay starts to say and Jax presses the knife harder against his throat.

"Do you understand?"

"Yeah. You may as well kill me."

"You're already dead." Jax spits in his face and storms out.

~ SOA ~ ~ SOA ~

Jax checks on the kids and Tara at home. He tells her that he visited Clay in the hospital.

"The CIA is behind this Irish cartel hookup. They've been playing us. If I kill Clay the Irish walk away the deal falls apart and the Feds take us all down."

"Oh my God." Tara says.

"I'm not supposed to tell anyone, Tara but I can't have any more secrets. Okay, baby."

"You have to stay?" Tara asks and Jax nods.

"Walking away from my club is one thing, but letting it die- I can't. It's part of me. I'm so sorry. I know you have to go. Take Ellie, our boys, go to Oregon. I'll send you all the money you need. I love you so much."

Tara's stunned as Jax leaves the house and heads to the chapel.

~ SOA ~ ~ SOA ~

Jax takes his place at the head of the table, holding onto the President's patch. Jax stops Tig from taking the Sergeant at Arms seat and indicates Chibs is to assume it. Happy and Juice join them.

Jax bangs the gavel. Tara opens the door. She kneels down to talk to Jax and tells him she's not going anywhere, "I'm not going anywhere. I'm here, baby, I'm here."

Gemma's at the door and sees. Tara and Gemma stare each other down. Tara stands over her man, with her hand on his chest.

 Tara stands over her man, with her hand on his chest

Jax is President of the club now.