Sixty-Two

Unser races to Oregon, with his badge and gun on the seat beside him. Jax rides north as well. Gemma takes a cab to her dad's house. Arriving in Oregon, Unser reaches Gemma first. She's going through old photos. She won't tell him she's saying goodbye, but it's clear she is. She's lost in her nostalgia and serenely ignores Wayne's attempts to reason with her, even after he kindly tells her he has to arrest her.

"I didn't see the car. I wasn't sure if you were here or not."

"I'm here."

"What are you doing, Gem?"

"You're a smart man, Wayne. I'm sure you know the answer to that."

"I need you to come with me back to San Joa."

"I can't do that."

"I know about Tara."

"I assumed you did."

"Should I ask why?"

"It doesn't matter anymore."

"No. It doesn't. I have to arrest you, Gemma."

Gemma ignores him and looks through old photos and papers, "Fifth grade. I wrote an essay on the importance of the Second Amendment. Got a B-plus. I knew even then where I was headed."

"Jax is on his way. He finds you here, I don't know what happens."

"I do."

"Don't make me call the local cops, please. Let's do this quietly."

"That's not really my style, sweetheart. You do what you need to do."

Unser is dialing his phone when Jax walks in, "I'm arresting her, son. Taking her back to Charming."

"I need to be alone with my mother."

"I can't do that. I can't let that happen. All right, I already called it in to the Oregon State Police."

"No, he didn't." Gemma tells Jax, "Get out of here, Unser."

"What happens now, son?"

"This is between me and my mom."

Unser draws his gun, "Haven't we had enough of this? Look where we are, Jax. What we have all become. This has to end here."

"I know. I know. Go home, Wayne."

"I can't do that." Wayne shakes his head, "This is all I got left."

"Then step outside," Jax tells him calmly, brushing passed him to get to his mother who hands him a photograph, "Your grandfather in World War ll. You look like him. The eyes mostly. Who else knows?"

"The club. That's it."

"You talked to Nero?"

"Yeah."

"He had no idea."

"I know."

"He's a good man, Jax. Stay close to him."

"Do you still have a copy of JT's manuscript?"

"Yes. It's in the storage locker with you and your brother's birth certificates. Death papers."

"Okay." Jax shakes his head, tears stinging his eyes, "Don't."

"I love Tara very much

"I love Tara very much. This is not an excuse. I'm not defending myself. I barely remember what happened that night."

"But it happened."

"Yes. It did."

"And all the other things because of the lie."

"I never saw any of that coming. I know there's no apology that can touch what you're feeling, Jackson. I'd like to go out to the garden, if that's okay."

Gemma stands up to go into the garden. Unser watches with his gun by his side, but doesn't feel threatened because Jax wouldn't take out his gun even when Wayne pointed his at him. He follows Gemma as she stops to smell the roses. Jax chokes back tears as he steps into the garden, Wayne is by Gemma's side, still unsuccessfully trying to convince Gemma to leave with him.

Gemma has her back to her son, "I love you, Jackson from the deepest, purest part of my heart. You have to do this. It's who we are, sweetheart. It's okay."

Jax's phone vibrates in his pocket right as he's about to speak, he sees a text from Ellie simply reading, "Mom's awake." Jax sobs. Wayne's nervous as he holds his gun tightly in his hands and watches Jax.

"Grandma's dead. I mean it this time. Goodbye, Mom." Jax simply says, turning around to walk out and leave when Nero finally comes inside.

"W- what?" Gemma's confused as she turns around to find Nero standing at the back door. He walks into the garden.

"Nero? I thought- Where's Jax going?"

"Home." Nero tells her, "And I'm here to take you home, Gemma. I'm taking you to the farm. Let's go."

The sound of a motorcycle makes Unser visibly relax. He didn't know how things would turn out, but glad they weren't bloody and deadly.

"I don't understand..." Gemma whispers.

"The farm, mama. It's your only option." Nero plainly tells her.

"What about Elle? The boys? Jax?"

"They'll be fine." Nero leads her out to the car as Unser follows. Once Gemma is in the truck, Unser watches Nero drive off.

"Am I ever going to see them again?" Gemma sobs, realizing the consequences of her actions.

"No." Nero replies, making her cry harder.

a/n: the ending is near..... two more chapters and maybe an epilogue (i'm still debating one).