Fifty-Four

After the police stopped by, and informed the club what happened and to ask questions, Ellie screamed out in agony. Happy held her as she sobbed against him and struggled to breathe. Bobby and Chibs looked after the boys until Nero could arrive. He offered to take them to Gemma's. After Jax woke up at the hospital, he was released, and taken into custody.

~ SOA ~ ~ SOA ~

Gemma hides out in her bedroom, still shaken up by what she did, and the fact that Tara was apparently still alive. Nero and Wendy are taking care of the boys while Ellie sits at the table, numb. She has bags under her eyes, she's distraught, and can't stop crying.

"Drink some water, Ellie." Nero places a hand on her shoulder, "Don't want you to get dehydrated."

She doesn't respond. Just stares off into space. Wendy and him share a look. They know she's dangerously close to her breaking point.

~ SOA ~ ~ SOA ~

Jax, now locked up in county, repeatedly punches another inmate. Getting out all of his aggression and deep anger. He carves into a helpless inmate with a shiv. He finishes carving in the now nearly dead inmate-- it's a swastika. He takes a couple teeth as a souvenir. He presents the inmate's teeth to Ron Tully, third in line with the Aryan Brotherhood, saying he wants to clear the air between their clubs.

Later, he gets a visit from District Attorney Tyne Patterson, "You've lost a lot of people close to you."

"Yes, I have. Any, um--? Any luck with Tara's case? Evidence? Suspects? Anything?"

"Unfortunately, no. It's been very difficult finding people willing to cooperate." The DA opens up to him, "Tara was hurt. I understand the pain you're in, son. The reason for your silence. I lost a son. And a nephew to gang violence. I didn't want anyone arrested, I wanted them all dead. Heartless, cold bullets to the back of the head. Just the way they killed my boy. That's a natural reaction. The desire for revenge. It's a part of grieving and pain. The difference is, in my world I knew that those violent desires would never become real. In yours, it's a very likely outcome. We couldn't tie you to either of them. Parole violation--"

"The gun wasn't fired."

"It was on you at the hospital. We're gonna let you go. Your mother's here to see you. She can take you home. I've been doing this for over 20 years and until today, I have never said a word about my personal life to someone on the other side of this table."

"So? Why me?"

"Because I needed help to connect with the man who did the right thing a few days ago. Who knows the importance of family. And that more violence will only destroy what's left of his."

~ SOA ~ ~ SOA ~

Unser drops off Wendy at home, suggesting she talk to Jax. Wendy walks into her apartment expecting to see the mess she left it, but instead she finds it neat and tidy with a fully stocked fridge and pantry. And then she finds Juice walking out of her shower.

~ SOA ~ ~ SOA ~

Ellie's sitting with Thomas when Gemma returns. She whispers to Nero that Jax got out and had to take care of some things. Abel sits down at the coffee table and colors. He holds up a drawing to Ellie, "Will mommy like it?"

Ellie swallows the lump in her throat, smiling at him, "Mommy will love it, buddy."

"When can we see her?" Abel looks up at his sister.

"Mommy needs rest right now." Ellie has a pit of hurt in her stomach as she lies to her little brother and thinks about her mother laying at the hospital.

~ SOA ~ ~ SOA ~

At the ice cream shop, Jax is wary when he sees Nero but agrees to talk. Nero says he's been sitting down with the Chinese and Mayans and both Lin and Alvarez extend their condolences and had nothing to do with Tara's attempted murder. Jax suggests that until things clear up, he'll handle Diosa and Nero can handle Collette's place in Stockton. Jax is eager to sit down with Lin and Alvarez and Nero agrees to set it up.

~ SOA ~ ~ SOA ~

Doing the dishes, late at night, Gemma talks to Tara as if she's standing in the room with her, telling her she was surprised by Wendy's offer of help, but trusts her for now. Gemma jumps when the door opens and Jax comes walking in.

"Hey, baby."

"Hey, mom. The kids?"

"Sleeping." Gemma clears her throat, "Your old room."

Jax walks down the hallway to his childhood bedroom. He slowly opens the door and instantly tears up at the sight of his children. They're all asleep on the bed. Ellie has her arms wrapped protectively around her little brothers. Jax's heart breaks as he softly kisses each of them goodnight. He wipes his eyes and forces himself to be quiet as he tries not to sob. He looks at Ellie and is reminded of Tara. He shakes his head and leaves the room before he accidently wakes them up. He finds his mom in the living room and hugs her, "It's okay, baby."

"What am I gonna do, mom?" Jax sobs, "I haven't even gone to see her yet."

"We're gonna get through this, Jackson. Together." Gemma kisses his cheek, "Whatever happens."

"I gotta go." Jax rubs his hands over his face when Gemma stops him.

"The night Tara was attacked, I was coming over to the house to pick up some things for the boys. When I got close, I, um-- I saw someone in a Mercedes waiting in the driveway. Then this guy, he runs by the side of the house, coming out the back door. Threw his jacket and some other shit in the trunk and hopped in the car. I went real slow when they passed by. Got a real good look at that guy that was in the house. I didn't know Tara was inside. I left. Went looking for the club."

Jax closes his eyes, absolutely heartbroken, as Gemma rubs his cheek, whispering, "Chinese killed Tara. I'm sorry."