Sixty-Four

Jax rides to the place where his dad crashed and talks about being crippled by fear and guilt and realizing, as his father must have, that a man can't be a good father and good outlaw at the same time.

"I think the struggle I understand best. Even more than all the things you wanted for Samcro. What we eventually became. The one I feel the most is the war of the mind. Happens when you try to get right with both family and patch. That fear and guilt crippled me. I realized, as I think you did a good father and a good outlaw can't settle inside the same man. I'm sorry, JT. And Gemma- She had plans. It's not too late for my boys. I promise, they will never know this life of chaos. I know who you are now. What you did. I love you, Dad."

~ SOA ~ ~ SOA ~

Jax's arm is sore, but it's nothing compared to his back pain and the constant burning from his shirt rubbing up against his now blacked out samcro ink. The Teller Residence is empty and the U-haul's parked out front. Wayne, Wendy, Chibs, Tig, Happy, Lyla, Kenny, and Ellie W all stand out front and help the family pack up their remaining items. Ellie's already sitting in her mom's car, listening to music, head resting against the window.

Tara leads the boys out front. She still has a bandage on the back of her head, but her bruises are healed and her hair has grown longer. She's happier than she's been in a long time. She stops in front of Wendy and gives her a small smile. Jax and her share a look before he crouches down to his son, "I wanna tell you something, Abel. And I want you to try to really understand, okay?"

"Okay." Abel nods.

"You remember when I told you that me and Mommy got married after you were born when you were already 3?"

"Yeah."

"And that you didn't come out of Mommy's tummy the way Thomas did? Well, that's because you came out of another mommy's tummy. Do you know whose tummy that was?" When he doesn't answer, Jax points to Wendy, "It was Wendy's. Wendy was your first mommy. You came out of her tummy. That's kind of crazy, right? You see, Daddy and Wendy, we used to be married. But we realized that we were better off just being friends. But that's why she's been here. To help take care of you. Okay? I just want you to know there are so many people that love you, Abel. No matter what happens you're always gonna have a daddy and a mommy that are gonna do their best for you."

Wendy instantly starts crying and hugs her son, "Jesus, Jackson. Little heads up would've been nice."

"You okay?"

"Thank you." Wendy wipes her tears, hugging him, before turning to Tara, "Thank you, Tara. That meant a lot."

Tara steps forward and hugs her, "No, thank you. For everything. You took care of my family when I couldn't. Abel's gonna know his biological mother, I promise."

They watch with smiles on their faces as Thomas runs after his older brother and they play with Wayne.

"Do you have any idea where you're gonna go? What you're gonna do?" Tara asks her.

"I don't know. Not too far from you guys. I thought of going back to school, maybe, even if it's for my administrative degree." Wendy shrugs.

"You should. It's never too late to get an education." Tara encourages her with one last hug before buckling up the boys in the car. Lyla, Kenny, and Ellie hug Tara and say goodbye to the boys.

Wayne shakes Jax's hand, "I'm proud of you, son. And your dad would be real proud of you too."

"Thanks, Unser." They hug and Jax moves onto his brothers.

"Come here, Jackie boy!" Chibs hugs him tightly and Jax flicks his President patch with a smirk, "Not bad, huh, brother?"

"You'll always be my brother." Chibs says with tears in his eyes.