Doubt I64I Part 3

July 15th 9:29 PM

My eyes rose to widen as I became more alert. Cold air ran down my throat, and his eyes interlocked with mine, showing deep enthusiasm. "What..." My mouth hung open as my eyes wandered in thought, catching his smile before it slid flat. "What are you talking about?"

Vio's periwinkles flashed, searing the moonlight. "Before he slit my throat, he chose to finish me off by reminding me that I was a liar."

I watched his lip firm up, and I felt my body jitter. My hand jumped to rub the back of my neck as my eyes tensed up on his neck, but his eyes... No matter how hard I tried to look away, his gaze kept a hold on me. His stern eyes and monotonous voice placed me on the edge. Dark... didn't believe Vio? Even before... before I started calling out on Vio? Why? Why would that be? My brows pulled on my thought. "Why? Did he give you an explanation...?"

His eyes darted to the floor. "Unfortunately, no." Then his eyes followed back up. "I suppose he suspected that I knew very well what I was..." His head dropped down, shifting his gaze. "Which, I can agree... I can agree on his thinking along those lines..."

My brows fidgeted—unsure of what to believe... what to think... "What did you lie about...?" If Vio has been lying to me since the beginning... what does anything mean then? Should I have taken Dark seriously? Dark never liked Vio for a reason... There HAD to be a valid reason! Except here now, Dark was not here to stop Vio... and I might as well be back on square one. Had I even made much progress with Vio, anyhow? Am I just being cheated on?

My mind was a raft, floating across the ocean. Nothing but sea carried it... into several directions—aimlessly—only passing me through by the wind.

Upon my question, all I received was a snarky chuckle from Vio. "It's fascinating, really..." He bit his tongue to seize his laugh. "You now doubt me... just like Dark did... He had for a while, and I'm sure he still does. And, what? Are you scared of me, too? You can't wrap around the fact that I pretty much almost died...?!"

My eyes broadened—the blue in my eyes appearing brighter. "I'm..." I pitched in—attempting to settle on my running thoughts—but my expression went blank. Those moth eyes... They flashed between his pale neck and his two, glistening eyes, searching for answers... searching for... comprehension. But, my knowledge... I just couldn't understand... How could he not get it? I wanted to know, but all I knew was... I squeaked through my tongue. "What do you want me to UNDERSTAND?! I THOUGHT YOU WERE DEAD... AND THEN SUDDENLY... WHEN I ALREADY THINK I'M LOSING IT... WHEN I'M LAYING ON THE GROUND BARELY ALIVE, YOU CAME UP OUT OF NOWHERE AS IF... IT WAS NOTHING... BUT, THEN YOU SAY IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED?!" Animated in my words with fiery eyes and rising shoulders, I paused for breath only to start once more. "Yes, you SAVED me... But, you threw it all away by LYING... and... what am I supposed to get... really? If Dark didn't trust you... then maybe..." My words slid off my tongue, muffling to quiet until the end as more thoughts began to feed into me, corrupting my mind and tangling it into further chaos. None of this... made sense... Vio could have explained it to me... If he had just explained to me before any of this... If he believed me in the beginning... If he had just... He could have explained everything... Dark attacking him, Dark's powers, and maybe how he felt... but, now, here we are... What was there to hide, Vio?

Did he suspect that I would never believe him?

"Believe what you wish, Link... Go ahead and think that everything I have done to you was selfish... Go ahead." His voice cooled, and a clear flame in his eyes snapped like the end of a candle's flame. He talked like there was nothing to lose... No time to lose... No person or thing...