The Threshold of Death I69I

Something... Something about him definitely changed. The Dark I knew before... was another person in my memory. I was not sure when I noticed, though. From last I saw him on the night of the wedding... compared to now... something drastically was...

It had only been a week since he left...

Dark's words settled on me. It captured a distinct composure and concentration. I was not sure what he was enraptured by, but... in his ironic sense of calm, we both felt... "pain." Anger. I might have been more lost... Distraught in the moment... Vaati... I could not believe that ASSHOLE... and Shadow... What did Shadow... want? What does he want?

Zelda tensed my mind... It took me a moment for my thoughts to organize on what had happened. More than anger at Vaati, anger ruptured my control, blaming myself... Vaati TOOK her... I could not take the slyness of Vaati. His shapeshifting powers. His taunt as Vio...!

It took Dark's subtle confidence and focused intent to settle my nerves of fret. His "threat." I took my breath and accepted the control of the car. Tight on the steering wheel and force of raised speed, I controlled my panic and stole the control from Dark's telekinesis.

A sigh of relief came to my side with the rise of Dark's exasperated voice. "Awesome...!" He fixed his posture, straightening himself into an engaged position to lean forward. "Now, all I need now is your trust to put your life in my hands!" he scoffed jokingly.

"What do you mean? For what?" I sighed uneasily, glancing at his somewhat relaxed posture. I stiffened, taking the car down the street with precaution to the sides of the road. "I mean, you did shoot me—"

"Yeah? Well... yeah... but..." He paused to a short, nervous stammer with the play of his hair. "...If we're going to get to Shadow in time... I'm going to need you to pick up the speed... Get around sixty... I'll tell you where to go, and I'll keep us safe from any projectiles or crashing, got it?" he asserted, heaving a heavy breath of his will out.

I felt like I... could trust him. Off from being snide and... precautious for myself, Dark could not mean ill. Besides... for a long time I HAVE trusted Dark... I accepted his behavior... Besides, our goals seemed aligned. Even by the tone of his voice now... he seemed far more "tamed" in thought. Something mature and fixed.

"Okay... and we'll get there in no time?" I accepted—slow to my words of thought—and began to increase the speed of the vehicle.

"No time!" he reassured, pleased. "Besides... I will have control of anything that may hit the car... and, the roads look pretty clear... so it'll be fine! Nobody wants to drive in this shit!"

"Well... just as long as you stay focused. I don't know what you can see, but I can barely see the road." I assured him. All I could see in the darkness of the storm were the horrifying sways of the husks of tree branches, large stones of hail dropping to the ground, pools of water in the dips, and the endless void ahead... From the car to the center of the road, there was nothing more entranced than the revolving black hole of the storm... whether the black hole was literal or not. The storm was "something" monstrous, and it grew more and more into a nightmare as the night progressed.

"It's clear for now. You can make a turn up ahead. I think we should stick to the backroads just in case there is 'traffic.'" After his comment, a glimmer of blue light lit the inside of the car, and he pressed a button on the car's radio, connecting his phone's sound to the Bluetooth for a soft techno beat to fill the car.