Four: Up North

A/N: It's August but I need to wear a sweatshirt. What is up with this weather...

Hope you like this chapter...because I do! <3

thanks for supporting my dumb ideas :P

~i z z y~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Perplexed.

Confused. And distraught. 

As the Oak Prince bumped in the carriage north to the Stone Castle he felt these things. He watched the red sun rise in the east as a strong wave of unsureness flowed over him. 

The sky lightening was a beautiful event to behold despite his mixed feelings about leaving. He couldn't help but gape at the peach hues that flooded the morning sky with hope and light.

He watched fields go by, the carriages heading south slowing down to allow his royal one to pass by. Weathered-looking farmers tarried in their ragged work clothes harvesting the last of the late summer corn and crops before the winter began. It reminded him of why he left to see Florian in the first place. 

Northerners were low on foodstuffs...so Jungkook suggested at the meeting the developing of the barren lands that were nothing more than charred messes at the moment. That way, the North wouldn't become overly dependent on the South for sustenance. To him, it seemed perfectly logical.

But Florian disagreed. Disagreed because of a third factor that the ravenette had yet to investigate. 

Based on what his advisors told him during the meeting, there was some underground tunnel system that was hampering their idea. To an extent, Jungkook understood why that would be, if the tunnels would destabilize  the Earth or if it would negatively impact rooting, it made sense not to do it.

But none of those reasons were said at the meeting. Florian turned away from the prospect of feeding his people because of "something dark." Something he didn't want to mess with.

The Oak Prince mentally scoffed. If anything, Florian was supposed to be the brave one, taking on the unknown with his intrepid exuberance. Whatever the "dark" thing was...the ravenette didn't want to think about it. He had no wish to be dallying in haunted crypts or sacred sites.

Plus, he already had something dark of his own to deal with. Something that showed up in his own life. Park Jimin. No, demon Park Jimin. 

Jungkook let out a sigh as his mind reviewed the many things he learned about demons by reading the first chapter of the large book on demonology Taehyung had brought him. When he was finished with the first chapter, he was both comforted and put at ill ease. 

Demons, as the book put it, were immortal beings of hell, their existence dating back to the first signs of human life on the planet. Wherever humans were, demons were "always close by." According to folklore, neither group got along--they were constantly fighting with each other for control over land. However, with demons possessing certain powers,  they were always better suited for winning.

At some point though, the demons allowed humans a small expanse of land for themselves. This happened around the year 300 or so, and many centuries passed peacefully between the beings of above and below. After those few centuries, humans began overpopulating the land they were entitled to. Explorations in weaponry and a growth in military tactics pushed humans towards demons. A few fights broke out...yet humans continued to lose. 

Jungkook realized as he read that the book only accounted for battles up until the 1400's. The book was too old for anything recent.

It surprised him, hearing about these mythical creatures as if they were real threats to humanity back in the day. As a child, he always heard about the creatures of myth: demons, wizards, monsters, etc...but he never imagined they could be real. Were they real? Was he just going crazy? Getting too paranoid?