2 The Path Less Taken

Kris

I not so patiently wait in the bottom floor of my apartment complex as I tap my foot on the ground to a fast pace. My eyes stay stuck on the door as I wait for it to open. I can feel my heart beating out of my chest and it starts to get warm under these clothes. My fingers get tangled in my pants as my palms get sweaty and I try my hardest to keep them dry.

I invited Serenity over to go over this little job we have lined up. I didn't know anything about having a personal assistant, but a lot of the guys on the team claim to have one. I'm sure they don't have a giant crush on their assistants like I do, but I wanted to make sure I could see her again and this was the only idea I had at the time. And now I might have just friend zoned myself. 

Finally she walks in the door and I smile really big. She had on high waisted shorts that showed off her incredibly long legs and little tan going on. She was really small but it suited her well. She had on a colorful shirt and a bright pink headband in her hair. She was like this hippie girl who stepped out of a time machine and is effortlessly living among us.

"Hey Ren" I start as she comes over to where I was. She skips the handshake and goes right in for the the hug.

I happily hug her back as my hands rest on her lower back. They fit perfectly with her body as she squeezes me tight. "Hey Kris. It's good to see you again" she says as we break apart. I hold her close as she looks up at me. That bright smile of hers lighting the whole area we were in.

"It's good to see you too. You wanna come up to my place and we can talk" I ask.

"Sure thing" she agrees.

So she follows me up to my place and I welcome her in. I grab her and I a drink before we sit on my couch. She crosses her legs and sits herself up as she turns to me. She looks around trying to get used to her surroundings and I just admire her.

"So why do you want a personal assistant" she wonders and I smile to myself.

I look down at my hands in my lap as I try to word this right. "I didn't really, but it seemed like a answer to both our problems. You need a job and I know for a fact that I'm going to need help trying to get into baseball and this city" I explain.

"I honesty don't know the first thing about being a personal assistant but I'm willing to learn. I mean at one point in your life you didn't know how to play baseball and now look at you" she says.

I send a suspicious smile her way as she starts to blush. "So you know who I am" I ask.

"I might have googled you when I got home the other day" she admits and I smile.

"I hope I didn't disappoint" I say softly. She just shakes her head causing her curls to fly around.

"I don't think you did. I don't know much about baseball. If it's not in a book I don't know much about it. But I'm more than excited to learn" she claims.

"I don't doubt it" I admit.

"So what do you need from me? A resume? A background check? My social security number" she jokes and I laugh.

"Nothing like that" I assure her. "I trust you've never done anything wrong before in your life and I don't think I need a resume considering neither of us really know what to expect" I say.