53 Family of Six

Serenity

There's so many things I love about Christmas. But my favorite part was the giving of gifts. I loved being able to put a smile on the faces of the ones I loved the most. Even if it's not exactly what they asked for, with a little bit of time and thought it can become what they wanted for Christmas.

So I head out into the city with Kris and we shop around. He claims he has my gift already and I still needed to figure out what to get him. Hopefully I can get some ideas while we were out today then be able to return later and get him something.

"What did you get your parents" I wonder as we continue our search.

"I haven't gotten them anything yet. I have no idea what to get them" he claims and I sigh.

"Damn. I was hoping you could help me figure out they would want" I admit.

"Well what did you get your parents" he wonders.

I just smile as I stop walking. I pull my phone out and show him the present I got for my parents. "I made them their own book. Their book is about how they gave me life and how they saved my life. I made sure they know that they are every reason I'm still here and I love them for that. There's a few pictures and my favorite stories that involved them" I explain.

"Oh man... how am I supposed to compete with that" he asks me making me giggle.

"You can't. But you can think up of something thoughtful and sweet" I insist.

"I don't know... you wrote your parents a book and I don't even think I can give them a poem" he admits.

"What are your favorite things about them" I wonder.

"I don't know, everything really. Without them I would have never gotten to be here and I would have never met you and that would have been awful" He claims.

"That would have been. So what do you want to do for them to thank them for helping you get to this point in your life" I question.

He looks around for a little and tries to see something pop out at him. His eyes land on the calendars and he smiles big. "This" he claims picking up a calendar.

"You're giving them a $5 calendar" I question.

"No" he scoffs. "A trip to whatever place is on this calendar" he explains and I smile.

"That would be pretty nice" I admit. "After they have taken you all these places you can take them somewhere nice for once."

"Their 20th anniversary is in January so I can set it up for then. Let them know that because of them I got to go places and now I get to return the favor" he explains.

"I think that is very sweet. Where are you gonna send them" I wonder.

"I don't know. I kinda want to send them to Paris. I know my mom would love the sights and my dad would love the food. Plus it's romantic" he shrugs.

"I think that's awesome. I've always wanted to go to Paris but for the longest time that wasn't a possibility. So I would read A Moveable Feast by Ernest Hemingway and read about his experience in Paris. His bouts with love and trying to become a famous writer. That was the closest I've ever come to being there" I sigh.

"I'll take you there. Next offseason we can spend weeks there's seeing all the stuff you got to read about. You can teach me the history and who knows, maybe even write our own story there" he insists.

"I would love that" I smile.

"And I love you" he says as he turns to me. He grabs my face and pulls me into a kiss and I try not to smile but I couldn't help it.

"I love you too" I whisper on his lips.

We continue our shopping and we get to the animal isle. We look at stuff to get our doggies because they've been good this year. So we get them treats and toys and a new leash for the dog park. Kris gets a little into it by getting them matching Christmas sweaters and collars and hats. I just let him because it was honestly going to be adorable.

"I know what I want for Christmas" he claims and I smile.

"Let me guess... another dog" I say.

He turns to me with the biggest smile on his face as he nods his head. "I want a little one that I'll get made fun of by the guys for having" he claims and I start to laugh obnoxiously loud. 

"Why" I wonder.

"Because it will be like having a little you. It'll be cute and loud and always doing something crazy. It will run the other dogs even though it's smaller. They'll follow it anywhere and have the best of times. And I can sneak it places in your purse" he explains.

I just roll my eyes at his silly explanation. I don't know what's worse, the fact he wants a small dog to remind him of me or that he actually convinced me that this was a good idea. "Looks like we're heading to the animal shelter" I sigh.

He lets out a holler as he tosses all his previously purchased dog stuff into our cart. He goes and picks out a collar and a name tags which we will get etched later once we get a name.

We purchase all our Christmas gifts we got for today and head to the nearest animal shelter. Kris was like a kid at the candy shop as he looks around. He plays with all the dogs but there's one he was obsessed with.

He picks up the puppy and turns to me making his best puppy dog face

He picks up the puppy and turns to me making his best puppy dog face. I just laugh as he holds the puppy up like a trophy. "This one is mine" he claims and I shake my head.

"Anything for you" I assure him.

"I'm gonna call her... Roxie" he claims.

"Really? Roxie" I ask.

"Yeah! Because she rocks" he argues.

"Alright alright. We can get her" I sigh.

"Yeah! I now have the least manly dog in the MLB" he cheers.

"Might have the least manly man title too" I mumble.