58 Guilty

Serenity

For as long as I could remember I have always been nervous. Anxiety is always a factor when it comes to my life and I don't think that will ever change. The anxiety will never truly go away, I just learn how to deal with it. And there wasn't much that didn't make me anxious, I can't help it, I just want everything to turn out okay but I cannot control that so anxiety controls me instead.

So when my editor asked to meet me face to face today my mind immediately started going a mile a minute. Maybe she didn't like the book or I didn't meet the expectations she had for me. I don't know, she didn't say much when she asked to meet.

But I still head on over to the place we meet at and get myself a drink and a pastry. I was too nervous to eat but I'm sure I'll eat it later. At 9 this morning on the dot she strolled in into the cafe. I know she works with a lot of authors so I didn't want to keep her.

"Good morning Miss Simmons" she says as she sits across for me. Like always she had the typical reading bag filled with papers and pens and books.

"Good morning Nancy. How how you been" I wonder.

"I've been doing good. And how have you been? I haven't seen you since you were in the hospital" she says.

"I've been doing pretty good. Did you get the wedding invitation" I ask. Of course I had to invite my editor, she does a lot for me and it's only right she comes.

"I saw it this morning and replied with a plus one" she smiles. At least I know she sees me sticking around until April. That or she's just being nice.

"So why did you call me in for today" I ask cautiously.

She just smiles over at me as she pulls something out of her bag. I see the words "Wildflower by Serenity Simmonds" on the front as she sets the draft on the table. "I wanted to talk about your book" she admits. I figured that much.

"Was it that bad" I ask.

She just laughs as she shakes her head. "No, not at all. Quite the opposite really" she claims. My eyes go big as she starts to flip through the pages. "I read this book the first time through and I have never felt anything so deeply. You would think that after all this time over read it all and nothing could phase me, but this book has twists and it makes you think. Think of things you haven't really thought up yet. You brought our feelings I forgot about, and not because I pushed them away but because I let so many other things over shadow that unconditional happiness I had. Then when I read it the second time I realized that this book... well it's one of a kind. And I would like to have it published as soon as possible" she claims.

I sit there with the biggest smile on my face as I look at her. "Seriously" I ask.

"Yes. Serenity I have been doing this for as long as I can remember. I've read so many books that did great in sales but didn't make it out of the authors city. But a book like this is going to change a lot. There's so many people out there wondering the stuff you asked in this book and for once there's some answers. And you were able to get me to keep asking questions and it's eye opening. I would be honored to help you get this book into the hands of young women and lost people who just want some answers" she claims.

"Don't you want a edit" I wonder.

"Nope" she shakes her head. "We fixed a few grammer things but that's it. If you want to you can read it again but we try not have the author do it again because it causes them to second guess what they have and we love what you have. With your permission we're going to find a cover and start to print and send your books out to focus groups. Then if it goes well then we will start getting your name out there and do some book signings and such. I see big things ahead of you" she claims.

"Do you think I can get a copy for Kris to read before it goes out? I'll never hear the end of it if I don't" I laugh.

"Of course. And you can read it too once we get a print. I know we had the whole discussion about how change is good last time we met but I really really enjoyed this book and I want others to be able to feel like this too" she insists.

"Of course. And thanks for meeting me" I say.

"My pleasure" she smiles.

We talk about cover art for a little before she had to be somewhere, she was a very busy woman after all. Which made the fact that she read my book twice that much more honorary.

Once I was done with the meeting I get up to head home but I stop at a table near the door. I see Kris sitting there in a booth by himself with a hat and sunglasses on acting like I didn't see him.

"Kristopher Lee Bryant are you spying on me" I gasp.

He takes off the hat and glasses and turns to me with that million dollar smile. "Guilty" he admits. "I just wanted to make sure everything went over well" he claims.

"You worry too much" I accuse.

"I know I know, but this is my dream too. To see you do good and be able to do what you love just as you help me with my dreams" she claims.

I sit down next to him and rest my head on his shoulder. I place my hand on his leg and move in closer. "You're my greatest dream" I assure him.

He softly kisses my temple and I smile to myself. "So are you getting Simmons or Simmons-Bryant" on the book he asks and I laugh.

"This book will be out before our wedding so for now it's Simmons. But this will just show the evolution of me as a writer and the eveloution of our relationship. So when I go back one day to read my first book it will be the only one that says Simmons. And I can remember a time when we were just two kids falling in love" I explain.

"Alright. I was upset at first but I'm sold" he claims and I laugh.

"Great. Everyone leaves here happy" I tease.