55 Operation Christmas Miracle

Kris

"Woah... that's huge" Landon gasps as he looks over my shoulder.

"That's a real nice one" my brother admits.

"Now I see why you make my sister so happy" Warren claims.

I pull the engagement ring I got not too long ago out of the box it came in and hold it up for all of us to see. Serenity was sent away to get some ingredients to make homemade pies with because I lied and said we didn't have anything so she had to leave. In reality I just hid the indredients in the spare room so she thought we didn't have anything. So she agreed that it's not Christmas without a pie and went to the closest grocery store. Her mom helps me and takes her with her to make sure she doesn't come back before everything was ready. So once I give her the okay she'll bring her back and hopefully we make some beautiful memories.

But I don't think I would ever be ready to purpose no matter how much time I have

But I don't think I would ever be ready to purpose no matter how much time I have. I never thought I would be down on one knee with the first girl I met in Chicago. Never thought I would be okay with spending the rest of my life with a women I met just nine months ago. Never thought that one girl could have me so weak in the knees. But I know that the fact we haven't been together all that long doesn't have a hold on me. People are together for years and don't end up working out. We can't compare relationships because as far as I'm concerned we've been together for my whole life, because it wasn't until we were together did I really start living. And I know that out of all my uncertain futures... she's going to be with me through it all.

So I slip the ring back into its case and tuck it in my pocket. I clap my hands together ready to get to work. "So what's the plan" my mom wonders.

Everyone knew about this happening today except for her. After thinking it through operation Christmas Miracle was underway. I wanted to make this the best Christmas ever for her and if this all goes as planned, it will be. She doesn't have a clue about any of this which makes it quite exciting. We didn't have a lot of time to get everything set into motion so I'm hoping we can pull this off.

My dad and her dad take off all of the Christmas ornaments from the tree and put them in a box. We put just one on there that I had made that said "merry me" on it with a picture of us attached. Serenity's mom made me a shirt with the same picture of her and I kissing in front of the Christmas tree at grant park on it and it was honestly perfect. Her mom suggested that and the hardest part was hiding this from Serenity because if it was up to me I would wear it all the time. But I wait until the timing was right and pull it on. I grab the flowers I had to go all over town to find in Christmas Day. I now know not to try and find flowers in the winter around here but it was worth it. I put them in a path from the door to where I was going to be down on one knee.

Once we get all the ornaments put away and the sign put up in the tree this started to get real. And I was becoming real nervous. "She wouldn't say no, right" I ask.

"Although social convention is not my sisters strong suit she wouldn't be that stupid" Warren claims and I laugh. They were so mean to each other yet they loved each other so much... I couldn't wait to be a part of this family.

Finally Serenity comes home and I hear the garage door open. I inhale sharply as my eyes nearly pop out of my head. What if I mess up? What if she's not ready? What if I had this all wrong?

"Calm down, son" her dad says as he rests his hand on my shoulder. He gives me a kind smile and my heart starts to slow down a little.

"I just want this to be perfect for her" I insist.

"It's Christmas, it's snowing, all her favorite people are here and she is agreeing to marry you. I don't think she could write up a better story herself" he claims making me smile.

So we all take our places as I stand in front of the tree. The lights were still on but the words the only thing on it. Her mom brings her in and she had her hands over her daughters eyes. Ren has the biggest smile on her face as she reaches her hands out to make sure she doesn't bump into anything.

"Oh this is terrifying" she says and I smile to myself. She was so silly.

"We're inside now. Just a few more steps and we're going to stop" her mom explains.

"Your hands smell like turkey and stuffing" Serenity tells her mom as we all laugh. Like I said, silly.

Her mom stops her in front of me and I get down on one knee. I pull out the ring box as I let out a long sigh, here goes nothing.

I signal her mom to take her hands away and she does. Serenity looks around for a second before she looks down at where I am. I just smile because the moment she looked at me all my doubt flew away. I knew that this was right and that this is where I'm supposed to be.

"Oh my god" she whispers as she covers her mouth with her hands. I can still see her smiling down at me letting me know I should continue on.

"Not too long ago you asked me what I would say if we went to the courthouse and got married, if I would follow through with it. At first I was hesitant, we're so young and we're still learning so much. I wasn't afraid of marrying you, I was afraid that we got married just because we could and not because it get right. But then I realized that time not spent loving you is time wasted. Time not spent with you as my wife... it's time wasted.

And we're going to continue learning throughout our whole lives. I'll have to learn to be a good husband, a good baseball player, a good dad. And you're learning so much now that you're heart has set you free. I just hope you want to continue to learn alongside me.

So Serenity, even though when we first met I picked you out of the crowd I'm hoping this time you'll pick me this time around" I say.

She doesn't move at first as a tear falls to her cheek. But she wipes it away as she slowly nods her head. "Yes" she says softly and I let out a sigh of relief.

I grab her left hand and sip the ring on. She doesn't even look at it as she just stares at me. She cups my face and pulls me into a long kiss as the cheers die down. I get lost in her touch as I stand up and hold her like I'm supposed to. I kiss her deeper than I ever had before ready to start the rest of my life with her.