61 Flight or Fight

Kris

"God I hate this" I mumble as I walk onto the plane. I plop down in my seat as I place my carry on in my lap. I sink farther and farther into the seat as I try to fit in with everyone else. I had filled my bag with a bunch of different things to help me to stay calm on this flight to Mesa for spring training, but my muse wasn't in this bag. She was going to be sitting next to me and I hope I don't get nervous and break her hand I'm holding.

"You? How do you thing the dogs feel" Serenity asks as she stuffs her carry on over head.

She sits down next to me and I let out a long sigh. "Why couldn't have we just drive out to Arizona" I whine.

"Because the Cubs paid for everyone and their families to fly out for training and it's rude not to accept that. Plus this is just getting you ready for the season when you have to fly approximately a million times" she explains.

"I still hate it" I mumble.

She reaches over and grabs my hand before pulling it into her lap. She runs her thumb over the back of my hand and I hate how much she affected me. But immediately I started to feel better as my breathing settles down. I rest my head on her shoulder as I let out a sigh.

Here's to hoping I can sleep on this flight.

Eventually I do fall asleep and by the time I wake up people were grabbing their things to get off the plane. I look around and see Serenity there with her phone up to my face. She had the biggest shit eating grin and I just knew she was recording me. "Good morning sleepy head" she teases.

I place my hand over the camera as I get myself off of her. I run my fingers through my mess of hair as I let out a groan. "What day is it" I ask.

"Still Tuesday" she assures me.

"We gotta go get the dogs now don't we" I grunt as I stretch out the best I can in this little space.

"I would prefer we didn't leave them in airport security" she admits.

"Alright. Give me a few more seconds and I'll be good to go" I insist.

Once I finally wake up all the way we head off the plane. We grab our things and our babies before loading up the rental car. We drive out to the house we had rented for the month and a half we were going to be here. We would have stayed in a hotel but no hotel in their right minds would let us stay with four dogs. So we rent a house by the training facility and make it our temporary home.

As soon as we pull up to the house we let the dogs lose and they take no time sniffing every single inch of their new temporary home. I go and start to unpack as I get ready for spring training even though I have no idea what to expect this year around. Guys arrive at different times but I wanted to get here a little earlier than the other position players had to get here. There was a lot of work to do and I still had to prove myself as a good player and not a one hit wonder.

So I get all my work out clothes ready and pray that it gets warm here quick. I didn't bring a lot of things that wasn't shorts and a t shirt. But I still know I did a better job packing than Serenity did because she had more books than clothes with her. But I wouldn't expect it to happen any other way.

"So what are you doing to be doing while I'm training" I ask her as we continue to unpack.

"Well I should probably go get us some food to make or all our spending money is going to be spent at Jack-In -The- Box and Chik-fil-a" she claims. "Then after that I will try and get your schedule set up for this season. See when we can get your parents out to Chicago and all your promotional stuff you have to do. Then when I get some free time I will relax and do some wedding planning" she explains.

"And to think I thought you wouldn't have anything to do without me" I tease.

"Always keeping the mind busy" she assures me.

"And what are your plans for today" I wonder.

"Just to get settled in. Plot out places I want to go to here and figure out when I can go exploring" she shrugs.

I toss my empty luggage to the side before climbing onto the bed. I reach over and grab Serenity and pull her on top of the bed with me. I start to tickle her before she grabs my hand. "Kristopher you better not" she warns.

"Or what" I challenge.

She just smiles because she knows she's not strong enough to keep me away and she doesn't really want to leave either. "Or I'm going to tell everyone that getting Roxie was your idea" she threatens.

"You wouldn't" I gasp.

"I would" she promises.

"You're so mean " I accuse as she starts to giggle. She lets my hands go and cups my face.

"You know I love you" she insists.

"I do know. And I love that you love me" I say.

"Can you believe that by the time we're back in Chicago we get married in a few weeks" she asks.

"It's pretty crazy. But at the same time I wish we were married now" I say.

She turns her head to the side and gives me a questionable look. "Why" she wonders.

"I don't know. I just want to call you my wife. Buy all the "Just married stuff" I see and brag about having the best wife ever" I shrug.

"Alright. That was pretty cute" she admits.

"I'm starting to get hungry. Wanna go find something to eat" I wonder.

"Yup. As soon as we get the dogs into the room" she assures me.

"Why" I ask.

"Because Beatrice has a plant fetish and these houses are filled with plants. I don't feel like buying new plants for this whole house before we leave" she giggles.

"Alright. But before we go" I say softly as I place my finger under her chin. I pull her close as she starts to smirk.

"What's your game Mr. Bryant" she asks.

"I think you know" I accuse.

"Maybe I do. Maybe you need to show me" she teases.

I happily press my lips to hers as I roll her over so she's straddling me. I tangle my fingers in her hair as I pull her closer.

If I wasn't ready for training camp before I'm ready now.