32 Reading Nook

Kris

When I moved to Chicago getting a house wasn't on my agenda, not for a while at least. I wasn't sure how long they would keep me up here or how long I would stay once the season was over. But things have changed, in fact everything has changed. I found my future in this small brown haired girl with big green eyes who stole my heart. I got a dog that is the size of my current couch at this point and needs room to be free. I'm getting money thrown at me by so many sponsors I didn't even know what to do with it. I was in a place to make a big move in my life and do it on my own accord. Because I wanted to and not because that's what people expect me to do.

So Serenity and I go house shopping looking for a forever home. I expect to stay in Chicago for a long long time. They don't pick a guy number two over all and expect to deal him any time soon. And my name is on the list for rookie of the year so I don't think I'll be leaving the organization until at least the entry level contract is up. And if I ever do end up being moved I'll always come back to here. This city has my heart and my soul and I don't think I would ever be able to totally move away from here. This is home now and I'm ready to find a house here.

"What about this one" I ask pointing to a house on the screen. It was a little far away from Wrigley but it was a nice neighborhood and there was a lot of room in the backyard for our horse dog.

"That ones cute! We can save that one, but I want to keep looking. I don't declare that one book is better than the rest of I don't read them all. We should keep looking" she insists.

I swear this woman has a book analogy for everything.

So we keep looking and looking and looking until we felt pretty beat. We narrowed our selection down to a few houses but weren't really drawn to one house. There was never a time where I was like "this is where I want to start a family. This is where I want to come home to every day no matter how long it was." Maybe my expectations were too high, maybe I wasn't being realistic that everything in my life wasn't going to be like in the movies.

"Wait" Serenity yells before I close up the laptop. I open it back up and she takes it off my lap before placing it in hers.

She scrolls a few times before typing something and scrolling again. She pulls up a house not too far from here and turns the laptop to me. "What about this one" she asks.

I look at her weird because I thought we were tired of looking at houses. And this house was nice but it looked like the rest of them. "It's a beautiful house, but what makes it special" I wonder.

"I'm so glad you asked" she smiles.

She clicks a few more times before finding the pictures of the inside

She clicks a few more times before finding the pictures of the inside. She scrolls and scrolls before finding what she's looking for. "It's a reading nook" she explains as she points to it. "And it has a beautiful view of the outdoors. We can open the window and let the breeze in as we enjoy a nice story. Have our morning coffee or hot chocolate and just watch the sunrise. We can teach our kid to read there or just tell them the beautiful stories of days like these. It can be amazing" she says.

"That is pretty incredible" I agree. I've never seen anything like it and it had so much room for so many different books.

"I had one in college. Well... it was supposed to be a study corner but I turned it into a reading nook. It was so peaceful to have a spot designated for relaxing and silence. I knew no one would talk to me there. I knew that I could get in at list fifty pages before someone bothered me. I think having a little nook would do us some good" she insists.

"I think so too" I agree. "What else does the house have" I wonder.

"It has four bedrooms and three bathrooms. There's a nice backyard that we can even start up our own garden when we don't have time to go to the botanical garden and daydream. We can do it right there. It's close to Wrigley and it has a garage that fits both our cars. I think it pretty much covers what we need" she admits.

"I think so too" I smile. "Why don't we contact the agent and ask to see the house" I suggest.

"I'm on it" she smiles.

So she emails the agent and I finally put the laptop away. We head to the kitchen where Serenity starts on lunch. I didn't have a game today so I could have a heavier meal and not feel bad about it. So she makes us chicken cordon Bleu and some fresh vegetables and I act like I am a help to her but sit there and watch instead.

Eventually her phone goes off and she turns to me. "Hey babe my hands are a mess from stuffing the chicken. Can you get that" she wonders.

"Of course" I assure her as I slip past her.

I go to her phone that was on the charger and I see a unknown Chicago area number. "There's no id, should I answer it" I wonder.

"Yeah. If it's a scam just hang up" she assures me.

So I press answer and stick the phone to me ear. A woman on the other line answers and I make sure this isn't something fishy. "Hello, my name is Amanda Stewart and I'm looking for a Serenity Simmons. I got a email earlier about her interest in a house I'm selling and I was hoping to set up a walk through date" she explains.

"Hey Amanda, thanks for calling back so soon. This is her boyfriend Kris and we were hoping to get a walk through of the house as soon as possible" I admit.

"How about tonight? Around 7" she says.

"I think we can do that. But let me check with my personal assistant" I smirk and Serenity just rolls her eyes. "Are we free tonight" I ask.

"Yes. We are unless you want to make a personal assistant joke like that again and you'll be viewing the house by yourself" she jokes.

Point made.

So we tell Amanda that seven is perfect and we would meet her there. We finish up with lunch and watch a movie before heading out. We meet Amanda at the house and I have to admit, it was a gorgeous two story house. It was a light blue color with white windows. There was a front porch like at her parents house which I'm sure Serenity will really appreciate.

We get inside and Amanda gives us a tour of the whole place. It was a brand new house and all new furniture and appliances. The kitchen was to die for and I love the open set up of the first floor. There was a lot of space to do things but it didn't feel like it was empty. We could make this place feel like a home real quick and it was all open so no matter where in this house we were we could be together.

"So... what are your thoughts" Amanda asks us.

"I would buy the house for the nook itself" Serenity admits making me chuckle. Of course she would. "But the rest of it is pretty great too. I think it's a beautiful home."

"Is it our home" I ask her.

She smiles up at me as she snakes her arm around my waist. "I think it is Kris, I think it is."