9 Literary Artist

Kris

Being a part of a organization such as the Cubs has a lot of perks. You're well taken care of and anything you could possibly need is at your disposal. I know not a lot of professional sports clubs can say that they get treated this well. We're like a family around here and it's not always going to be perfect. I started up here with some bad contract negotiations and starting this season in AAA because it would allow the Cubs more service time from me. And while that was a shitty move, this is a business at the end of the day and I can't forget that.

As for today, it was the annual Bricks and Ivy Ball that raises money for Cubs charities. The cubs do a lot of good things around the city. Anthony Rizzo has done amazing things with the children's hospital and helping with childhood cancer. Jon Lester is sneaky sweet and secretly the nicest guy you will ever meet. Each player kinda has a thing they've established that allows them to do community service and reach out to people less fortunate which is awesome. I haven't found my thing yet, but I'm hoping I'll find it at the ball.

And after much convincing I get Serenity to agree to go to the ball with me. The dresses and tuxes and talk of rich people problems wasn't her scene and she hated the attention, but as soon as I explained to her what this was all for she broken down. She was actually pretty excited to see the people who work to make her city a better place and was hoping to help me find my calling.

So I pull on my best suit I have and drive on over to Serenity's place. I hop out of the car and walk up to her door but stop when I see someone sitting on her front porch. There was a old man with a book in his hand and I had to laugh, that had to be her dad. So I take a detour and walk up to him to introduce myself. He smiles when he sees me there with some flowers in my hand and a smile on my face. I had on my nicest suit and defiantly looked the part of good boyfriend. I had the biggest smile that's out there from the mere thought of his daughter.

I stick my hand out and he gets up from his porch swing to come greet me. "Hello, you must be Ren's dad" I say.

He shakes my hand with a great smile of his own. "That's me! I'm Carter and it's such a pleasure to meet you. Sereinity has said nothing but the best things about you" he insists.

"I can say the same about you guys. She's so happy to be home with you" I say.

His face starts to fall as he adverts his eyes from mine. I know something was going on here, no girl graduates from college with her type of success and moved home not to follow that path she was on. I can feel that something was off, but all of me was willing to see where this was going. Whether there was a problem or not.

"Well we're happy to have her here. And we don't mind sharing her with you because you make her so happy. I've never seen her like this before. Every time she brings you up her eyes sparkle and her smile shines brighter than ever. She'll do things she never does just for you, it's great to see her branching out" he admits.

"I feel so lucky that she chose me" I sigh.

"Well we're glad to have you a part of our lives" he says.

He welcomes me in and assures me that Serenity is almost ready. So I hang out with her dad and talk baseball since he was a fan. It's always been the easiest way I connected with people.

Finally Serinity comes down the hallway and I wasn't prepared for what I was about to see.

I feel all the air leave my lungs as her long legs make their way over to me

I feel all the air leave my lungs as her long legs make their way over to me. She stops right in front of me and I had the tightest grip on the flowers in my hand. I was hoping that would keep them from getting sweaty but they're about to slip right through my fingers.

I have never, in my entire life, seen anything more beautiful than her right now. She looked like a flower goddess. I look her up and down and I still couldn't believe that someone could look that good.

"Serinity" I whisper as she smiles up at me. She does a little turn so I could see the whole thing and my legs start to get weak. "You look absolutely stunning" I insist.

"Thank you" she smiles. "My mom made the dress for tonight. I think she did pretty good" she admits.

"She did amazing. Your mom is very very talented" I say.

"She very much is. And I see you've met my dad" she notices.

Her dad sends me a wink and I smile back. "Yeah, we've been hanging out. It's easy to see why you're such a great person."

"I learn from the best" she admits.

After I give her the flowers and her dad takes our picture we head over to Wrigley. They had the place done up all nice and I couldn't wait to show off my girlfriend.

"Woah, Kris! Who do we have here" David Ross asks as he walks over to me. He had his wife Hyla by his side as she joined us.

"This beautiful young lady is my girlfriend Serenity. Ren, this is my good friend David and his wonderful wife Hyla" I say.

They take the time to get to know each other and get through the introductions. I see Hyla look Serenity over and just smile. I knew the feeling. "You look absolutely incredible! Where is your dress from" she wonders.

"My mom made it. I'm the literary artist, my dad is the visual artist, and my mom likes arts and crafts" Serenity giggles.

"So you like to read and write" Hyla realizes.

"Love it. Nothing does the soul good like spoken and written words" Serenity insists.

Those two go off and talk about things not related to baseball. I know she was worried that her sports intellect wasn't as up to date as the other girls who have been with a baseball player for a long time. But I assured her the last thing most people here want to talk about is baseball. She gets to meet some of the most thoughtful and caring people in this city and I get to watch her spread her wings.

I find my guys and hang out with them in the mean time. I wanted more than anything to be with Serenity but she's a big girl with big ambitions. She wants to find out things for herself and I have to let her do that. So I just stare at her from afar and wait for her to come back to me.

"Who's the girl that looks like a Disney Princess" Anthony asks and I laugh.

"That would be Serenity" I say.

"It sure is" he claims and I laughs.

"No Tony, like the Serenity I've been telling you about" I explain.

He turns to me with big eyes and I just nod my head. "Like that's your Serenity" he questions.

"Yup. She's all mine" I smile.

"Wow... man. Congratulations" he says as he grabs my hand and starts to shake it.

I roll my eyes and I try to hide my laughter. "Thanks... I think."

Eventually she finds her way back to me and I'm so happy that she did. I wrap my arm around her as she does the same to me. She rests her head on my shoulder and I look down at her.

"Are you tired" I ask.

"A little" she admits. It wasn't that late but I'm sure being in this environment makes her tired considering she doesn't get out much.

"I can take you home if you want" I offer.

She just shakes her head against my chest as she moves in closer to me. "No. I like it here. You guys got something special" she claims and I smile.

"I know I do" I admit as I hold her as close as I ever have.

She looks up to me with a big smile and I can feel my heart pounding against my chest. She stands up and plants a kiss on my lips and I couldn't help but smile.