3 The Heart Wants What It Wants

Kris

"I'm sorry? You did what" my mom chokes out as she side eyes me through my phone. We were on face time while she was back home in Vegas for a little until I got back to Chicago for a few games.

Right now I was out in Cincinnati with a free day due to bad weather postponing today's game. And with it not really being the best idea so try and walk around the city and explore at this time I decide to catch up with my mom. Or catch her up as it turns out to be.

"I got a personal assistant" I explain again.

She lets out a sigh as she shakes her head at me. "I got that part. It's the whole "I've never met this girl before I hired her and she's never done this before" part that's getting to me" she admits.

"I know it's confusing. And I know it's scary to think about letting this girl take ahold of my life. Strangers don't usually make the best personal assistants because this is my life that's at stake here.

But she's different mom, and I can't put my finger on it but everything in me believes that this is a good decision. She wasn't like the other Chicago girls, anyone really. She listens instead of talking, she reads instead of imposing herself. She wears the things most girls are too afraid to wear outside their house. She's so intelligent, like she knew what I was going to say before I said it. We had a connection unlike anything I've ever felt before and I have a gut feeling that she is going to be perfect for this.

I trust her. I really do. And she needs a job really bad so we both get what we need in the end" I explain.

"I don't know sweetie... you gave this girl a key to your place and access to stuff that I don't even have access to. She's responsible for your meetings and baseball obligations and communication. That's a lot of responsibility" she insists.

"I know, but she couldn't hurt a ant, even if she really wanted to. She walks around with a bag of book and she looks for any opportunity to grow as a person. She takes her life seriously and listens to everything it has to say. This is just as good for her as it is for me" I plead.

"I mean... it's your life Kris. If this is what you want then you have it. I just don't want you to get hurt. Being a professional athlete is hard as is. Then if you get a broken heart..." she trails off.

"We're just friends" I remind her.

"Yeah... Okay. I'm going to believe that you hired this girl you just met because you have no intention on being with her. I know you better than anyone Kris, I know this girl means a lot to you even if I don't get why. I don't doubt she can be good for you. I just hope you know how to separate business from self interest" she warns.

"The heart wants what it wants" I tease and she laughs. She smiles at me as she lets out a long sigh.

"I know. I stopped arguing with you because I can tell in the way you talk you're not going anywhere without this girl. Just... be careful" she begs.

"I will momma. And if I can't handle it I'll always have you" I say with a convincing smirk.

"Yes you will" she promises.

After I hang up with her I decide to text Ren to see what she's up to. She had been handling my schedule and she made a nice color coded one for this month and the next. She handles my emails and makes sure everything makes it in my schedule and I know where I need to be and when. She was doing a good job with this whole personal assistant thing and I think she's enjoying it. I hope more than anything she likes working with me. I hope that she doesn't look at me and think that my life is too much to give us a try one day. If I ever get the balls to ask her out that is.

Eventually she face times me and I answer quickly. But when I do it's not her who appears on the screen, no, it's something just as cute as she is.

"Wow Renny, you look different" I joke and she starts to laugh

She takes the dog away from the lens and she appears in the camera frame. I smile big when I see her with her little pig tail braids and no make up on like always. She had on a tie dye shirt and a bright blue skirt. She looked great like always as she holds the dog to her side.

"No lie, that's the cutest dog I've ever seen" I admit.

"Well shes all yours" she claims and I smile.

"She's mine" I ask with a hint of excitement in my voice. I've never had a dog before but I've always wanted one. And this one was adorable.

"She's all yours. Her name is Beatrice and she's 8 months old. She's got all her shots and is potty trained. I got her for you today and now we're hanging out in your place so she can get used to her new home until you get here" she explains.

"She's perfect. I love her already" I admit. I look at the camera but I wasn't looking at the dog. I was looking at her because part of me knew that line was meant for her and I just couldn't say that yet.

"Well she can't wait until you're home. We can take her for a walk and I can give you a talk about your wardrobe" she shames and I blush.

"What's wrong with what I got" I ask.

"Where do I start" she teases and I laugh. "Now I'm not saying we have to buy you all new clothing. We just gotta talk about what you want your look to be and how to follow it. Because it looks like you have multiple personalities in here" she says pointing her head to my closet.

"What's wrong with that" I whine.

"For one, not enough denim. I could make you look like a greaser in a second" she claims and I laugh. "Second of all you are way too vibrant to have nothing but matte colors. You need something expressive and fun in your closet. You're telling me you're wearing suits and slacks to all you games" she asks.

"I just moved here" I remind her.

"And I'm going to make sure you live here. And not just live but live your best life. I'll do it if it kills me" she insists.

"You're pretty good at this personal assistant thing. You're kinda like my really smart and really cool best friend" I admit.

She smiles at me as she lets the dog go. She grabs her phone as the camera gets closer to her and I can really take her in. There's no denying I missed her like hell and I couldn't wait to be with her again.

"No ones ever called me cool before" she claims.

"Is it because you're a nerd" I tease causing her to giggle.

"Pretty much" she admits.

"Well I think you're cool. And I'm not just saying that because I don't want you to expose me and steal all my money" I joke as she laughs.

"I would never do that to you. I truly want to help you. From the bottom of my heart I want to help you be happy and be everything you want to be for this city" she promises.

If only she knew what I wanted to be for her.