38 Tall Boy

Kris

We arrive in Pittsburg the day before the wildcard game. So we have batting practice and get settled into the hotel room before we were free for the night. As long as we don't get back at 2 am we should be fine to explore this city and stay out of trouble. I decide to text my parents and meet them for dinner since they came out to see me play in my first ever play off game. They tell me to meet them at this really nice hotel downtown and to dress formal. Usually I hate to dress up but for them I will do it. So I pull out my suit I brought with me and put it on. Joe isn't like other managers and he doesn't make us travel in suits. I already hate flying and I certainly don't feel comfortable doing so in a suit. So at least I'm in sweats when Anthony is in my ear playing plane crash noises on YouTube as I try to sleep.

Once I was showered and dressed I was ready for the night. I was super excited to be here in such a beautiful city playing the game I love. Of course I would rather have the game be back home in Chicago, but I believe everything happens for a reason. So I go to the restaurant my parents are at and give them my name. They take me back to a table but it was empty making me frown. I was really looking forward to seeing my parents, I wonder what's holding them up?

"Hey tall boy."

I recognize that voice immediately so I turn around to see where it was coming from. I see Serenity standing there in the most beautiful white dress holding some flowers in her hand. Her hair was loosely curled and she actually had makeup on. I don't think I've ever seen her wear makeup because she refused to buy it. But I'm sure whoever is behind this convinced her to let them do it. She looked like a angel standing there smiling so bright. Here to answer all my questions I had about life, about baseball and about love.

As soon as my eyes rest on her I run over to her and pick her up. I spin her around as she giggles in my ear, the worlds most beautiful sound right now. I wasn't expecting her here nor was I thinking about her having to be here. But man... I'm so glad she was.

"What the hell is going on" I ask as I set her down. I hold her as close as I can and I promise I wasn't going to let go until I absolutely had to.

"I came to surprise you so... surprise" she smiles big.

I tuck a curl behind her ear as I pull her closer. We get chest to chest as I just get lost in her big eyes. "How" I question. I didn't get it.

"Your parents had a layover in Chicago so I went to meet them. We got to talking and decided that my first time flying should be to come surprise you. So a few hundred dollars and a lot of dog sitters later here we are" she explains.

"I'm so happy you're here" I admit.

"I'm excited to be here. I've never traveled anywhere farther than the nearest heart specialist. I'm excited and a little scared, not going to lie" she admits.

"I'm not going to let anything happen to you" I promise.

"I know" she smirks and I just smile. This woman is a master manipulator and she doesn't even know it.

"So how was your flight? Did you mind it" I wonder.

"It was actually amazing. Your mom said I'm a lot tougher than you when it comes to flying" she claims and I nod my head.

"She would be right. I don't hate anything... but I hate flying" I admit. 

"Well even if I did hate it I would do it over and over again for a chance to see you" she claims.

I finally pull her into a much awaited kiss, and it was well worth the wait. There was no better feeling than this weightless one she gives me and I am happy I didn't have to wait a long time before getting that feeling again.

Eventually my parents come out of hiding and join us at the dinner table. They recorded the whole thing and honestly it was adorable. You would have thought I haven't seen her in months the way I reacted. But sometimes it feels like I'm never going to see her again, so when I do I act like I didn't know if I ever would.

"So... did we surprise you" my dad wonders.

"It was honestly the greatest thing you could have brought to Pittsburg with you" I tease.

"We almost brought the dogs too" my mom teases.

"Yeah but I didn't know where to keep them. So they're over at my parents house right now" Serenity assures me.

"Too bad. Then this would have been a real scene in the middle of the restaurant" I admit.

"Too bad you're just stuck with me" she smiles.

"Too bad that's all I wanted" I tease.

So we enjoy a nice meal and share a lot of laughs. I wasn't expecting to start my night off like this but there wasn't a way this night could get any better. I'm lucky to have parents who helps things like this happen and a girlfriend who made this night that much more special. I'll never forget this or the feeling I had when I turned around and saw her standing there looking like a angel.

After we share a dessert and stay out way later than any of us expected to it was time to call it a night. So I grab Serenity and bring her back to the hotel with me. She got one just in case but I assure her I wanted her with me and we can get her deposit back on the room. We get inside and as soon as we do I give her a kiss I wanted to give earlier but couldn't because people were around. Her hands wrap around my back and I feel her nails dig into my skin.

"You make me the happiest girl in the world" she whispers on my lips and I smile. It took everything in me not to just take her and leave this all and run away.

"And you make me the luckiest man in the world" I insist.

She just rolls her eyes as she tries to hide her smile but she couldn't. "Couldn't miss your chance to shoot your shot could you" she asks.

"A shooters gotta shoot" I defend.