48 Under The Weather

Serenity

Last night I felt just fine, just like any other night. I went to bed breathing fine and my heart was holding a steady beat, but this morning I woke up not feeling the best. My heart was pounding and I had a fever. I threw up my medince giving me some scary feeling heart murmurs so I decided it's probably best if I went and takes to my doctor. I know there is side effects of my medicine but this should not be happening. I haven't felt this sick in a long time and I would rather handle it now before it's too late.

So Kris shoves me in the car and drove like a mad man over to the hospital I stayed in last time. We get there quickly but like any hospital we have to sit and wait for a opening. With my condition I have to met with someone who specializes in cases like mine and my doctor was the only one around here who is able to treat me. And since it wasn't a true emergency we had to wait for him to become available.

Kris and I find two chairs off to the side and decide to wait for the doctor to come get us. I'll need to do blood work and x-rays and all that good stuff to find out what is wrong. Even a common cold in my condition is hard to diagnose and deal with because you can't mix cold and flu medication with what I take for my heart. I have to attack it differently since the medicines don't mix which is hard. My medication also weakens my immune system making it easier for me to catch a cold then nearly impossible to get rid of. So if this is what I think it is I'm in it for the long haul.

I sit with my hand in Kris' lap as he holds me tight. I can feel how nervous he was and I hate that I worry him. "Kris" I say softly.

"Yeah Renny" he replies not able to look me in the eyes.

"You're shaking" I notice.

"I'm a little scared" he admits.

"I am too" I agree.

He finally looks at me as he stares right into my eyes. "Can you promise me we're going to get through this" he wonders.

"I'm gonna do everything I can to make sure I'm by your side" I assure him.

"Good" he says softly.

We sit there for a while before I get called back. They hook me up to a electrocardiograph and get a X-ray and give blood along with a bunch of other tests. Once's I'm done they take me back to a room and I change into a gown. I sit there and wait for my results and who knows when that will come in.

After fighting it off for so long I eventually just close my eyes and lay down on the bed. I was tired from throwing up so much and the fever that's ravaging my body. I needed a lot of liquids but I couldn't hold anything down anyway. So I try to rest but it was hard with how sick I felt.

I feel a hand in mine and I open my eyes. I see Kris sitting there next to me holding my hand. It felt like I was a little kid with their parent in the room with them, but it did make me feel better. I give him a weak smile as he softly brushed his thumb across the back of my hand.

"You look like shit" he teases and I roll my eyes.

"Great" I laugh.

"Still beautiful. Just in a shitty way" he claims.

"Well thanks. I'm trying to become the poster girl for the flu. I think I'm doing pretty good" I smirk.

"You got my vote" he jokes.

I wearily squeeze his hand and he squeezes me back. He moved my hair off my face so it doesn't get stuck there from the sweat. He places a soft kiss on my forehead and for a little moment I kinda felt better.

Finally my doctor comes back with some of the results. A few of them will take a few days but the x rays and cardiographs we can look at today. So Kris helps me sit up and he sits next to me so I can lean on him. It was hard to stay up with how weak but he makes sure I can sit and talk to the doctor so we can get through this.

"Alright. It looks like there's some fluid in your lungs which is expected with the flu. That's causing you to cough and eventually throw up. Other than that the x-rays didn't show much, your heart is still doing what it should where it should. It's a little enlarged but that's because of the illness. There was no holes and no abnormal blood flow that would cause us concern. The cardiographs was a little unusual so I want to monitor that for a little. That could be from a number of different things but we want to rule out the bad.

But the end diagnosis is the flu. We're still waiting on the other results but for right now we're going to treat what we know. For now we want to give you a IV for fluids and the medication that will be beneficial to treating your flu and not messing with your heart medicine. You can go home after the IV is done and we just ask someone keep a eye on you" he tells me.

"I'll be there" Kris promises.

"Alright. Then let's get you drugged up so you can feel a little bit better" he says.

"Yay drugs" I smirk and he laughs.

"Let's get you set up" he insists.

So they give me a IV and after a hour of sitting there letting it drip into my system I was all finished. I felt a little bit better so I'm hoping this was going to be over soon. Kris takes me back home and I crawl into bed. My doggies all join me and I smile bigger than I have in a while. I cuddle up with Cooper and Kris just runs his fingers through my hair.

"What do you want for dinner? Or are you hungry" he asks.

"Not at all" I admit.

"Alright. Then how about we watch Tangled and you get some fluids in you at least" he says.

"Bribing me with Disney movies... smart man" I smirk.

So he goes and gets me a drink and sets up the movie. He squeezes into bed with our doggies and we all get comfortable. I fight to stay awake because this was my favorite movie in the world. But it was hard to fight off this sleep.

"Rest" Kris insists.

"But Rapunzel hasn't even shown Eugene that her hair is magical" I pout.

"Now Missy" he jokes and I couldn't help but break.

"Fine" I mumble.

He pulls me into him and I almost immediately fall asleep.

(P.S. Merry Christmas 😄)