49 Downhill

Kris

I watch Serenity as she lays in our bed sleeping for what feels like the 20th straight hour. It was officially Thanksgiving now and I'm happy we celebrated a little early because she was in no position to be doing much of anything right now. She was getting so small from throwing up anything she ate and then some, plus she's not even eating much anymore. She was already small before but now she looks sickly. Her skin as pale as ever and I can see the majority of the veins in her body. I was starting to get scared because she can't stay awake long enough to tell me if she's feeling any better. I know she's still breathing but it sounds all funny. I called her parents over but they weren't sure what to do either. She takes her medication but it doesn't seem to be doing much. She doesn't want to be emitted to the hospital but I'm not sure that's going to be a choice she gets to make.

"How long has she been out" her mom asks me.

"She's been out since noon and this is her tenth straight hour of sleep. She can barley make it to the bathroom without falling asleep" I sigh.

"Maybe we call the doctor and see what he suggests" she says.

I let out a long sigh because I promised her I wouldn't call. But she promised me she wasn't going to leave me either and I'm making sure she stays true to that.

So I call up the doctor and after playing phone tag for a hour I finally get ahold of him.

"Kris, is this you" he asks.

"It's me" I assure him.

"Okay good. My assistant told me you called and you were worried about Serenity" he starts.

"Yes sir. Her health seems to be only getting worse since we saw you a few days ago. I'm worried that this flu is stronger than we thought" I explain.

"Unfortunately I won't have her test results back until tomorrow. But if you can bring her in tonight and we can see what we can do until then" he says.

"Alright. She's been sleeping a lot, should I let her rest before I bring her in or wake her up now" I ask.

"Let her rest a little while longer then when she's strong enough bring her in. We will have a room ready for her" he assures me.

"Okay. Thank you doctor" I sigh.

"Of course" he promises.

I hang up and go to her parents to explain what's happening. They agree to let her rest for a little before we take her in. She's not going to be happy but she obviously needs some help.

So I sit in our room while her parents go to their place to pack a bag to stay at the hospital over night. I was going to figure that out for myself later, for now I'm just making sure she's okay.

I start to doze off going in and out of sleep before I get woken up by one of the dogs barking loudly. I jolt up from my side of the bed as I look for our crazy dog. Cooper was by the side of the bed Serenity was at just barking at her.

"What's wrong buddy" I ask.

I turn to see what he was looking at and see Serenity convulsing in the bed. My heart stops as she shook the whole bed making some scary noises. Her eyes were wide open and she tried to stop but she couldn't. It looked like she was having a seizure and I had no clue as to what to do.

I rush over to her side and try to get her to stop shaking. I talk to her and tell her it's okay and we're going to figure it out. She eventually stops and once I was convinced it was safe I pick her up in my arms. She was so light and limp in my arms as I try to keep her alert. "What? What's going on" she whispers. She didn't even sound like herself.

"I'm taking you to the hospital" I tell her.

"Where are we" she wonders.

"We're at home but we're gonna get your some help" I assure her.

"Kris... I'm scared" she says.

I look down and I see so much fear in her eyes. I knew in that moment we were going to do everything we can to get her okay again.

I get her into the car and I hop into the drivers side. No need to cal the ambulance because it would take them forever to get her and I'm already on my way. I call her parents and tell them that I think she had a seizure and were en route to the hospital. I break almost every traffic law getting her to the hospital but I didn't really care. Luckily it wasn't too far from were we were and I didn't have to go through the city.

We get to the hospital and I pick her up again. She was having troubles staying awake but if she had a seizure I don't want her to go unconscious. So I keep talking to her until the paramedics swoop her up. They take her into the emergency room and I wait for her parents.

They come in not too far behind me and I find them easily. Her mom pulls me into a hug and I close my eyes. As soon as I open them I know I'll be crying, but I didn't want to cry just yet.

"Oh sweetie we're happy we found you. Are you okay" she asks me.

"No, not at all. They took her and they're doing what they can but I'm not sure what happened. She was sleeping one minute then having a seizure the next" I sigh. 

"That's awful, I'm sorry you had to see that. Let's go find her and see what we can do" her dad insists.

So we take off and find her in a hospital room hooked up to a bunch of things. I heart her heart was being monitored and thank god that it's still working. Eventually her doctor finds us and he looks at her numbers. He wouldn't have the rest of her results until tomorrow so there wasn't much to say. Just that she suffered a seizure in response to being sick but they're starting to think it wasn't the flu. They just don't know what yet.

I sit next to her bed and grab her hand. She was sedated so her body doesn't get overloaded and try too hard to fight this on its own. I close my eyes as I place my head next to her.

And for the first time in a long time I pray. Pray that this is over soon and I get to walk out of here with her by my side.