52 Christmas Cheer

Serenity

After I get out of the hospital it is officially Christmas. Well.. technically Christmas was in a few weeks, but the way I celebrated it was the whole month long and it got pretty intense. Luckily for me Kris was also a avid fan of the holiday and aided in what some can see as a unhealthy obsession. And now we have this beautiful house that I can turn into something you see in magazines.

Kris and I go out and look at a bunch of different Christmas trees. I wanted a real one because I always had real ones growing up and I loved the smell of a real tree. Smelled just like Christmas. So we walk around and pick out the perfect one. We were going to have at least 12 trees up around the house but the one we gather around had to be special. We had plenty of room for a big one and I wanted lots of gifts under the tree.

Kris finds a nice tall tree and he stands next to it to show me that it's taller than him. He said it was the one stipulation he had so he had to stand on a chair to put the angel on top.

"You want this one" I ask him.

"I think this one would be good! Not sure how we're going to get it through the door but that sounds like a problem for later" he shrugs.

I walk around the tree before standing next to him. "I think we should get this one" I agree.

"Can I ask you a question" he wonders.

"Come on Kris, you know the answer to that" I insist.

"Why do you love Christmas so much? I mean a lot of people love Christmas, but you're in the danger zone" he claims and I giggle.

I lightly run my fingers over the tree as I mess with the bristles. "When you're sick most of your childhood, the little bit of good you have in your life you cling onto it. I always had books but Christmas comes once a year. So for this month I put the books away and I was decorating stockings and making a wish list like every other little girl and boy. Finally I could be like every other girl and boy. They always let me go home for the holidays and at least I got to wake up early with my brothers on Christmas morning. The cookies we made were gone and our stocking were full of gifts from Santa. We didn't have a lot of money growing up, everything my parents made went to my medical bills. But somehow we always got exactly what we asked for when it came to Christmas. Makes me believe that maybe there is a real Santa Claus" I say only half joking.

"It's great you got experiences like that. That there was points in your life you were able to smile and it wasn't so forced" he admits.

"It was the best times of my life. The music, the decorations, the spirit, it's addicting. And it's so contagious. Even in that hospital I saw nurses with reindeer antlers and candy canes sticking out of their pockets. They handed out peppermint candies and Hersey kisses every chance they got. I never felt that bad this time of the year" I admit.

"I just like it because I like giving people gifts" he claims and I laugh.

"That's a good reason too" I assure him.

"Well I have a new favorite reason to like this holiday" he claims.

"And what's that" I wonder.

"You're just going to have to wait until Christmas Day and see" he smirks and I just smile at him.

"You're such a tease" I insist.

"Let's just say Christmas is a magical time of the year" he says.

"That's it is Kris, that it is" I smile.

We purchase our tree and have them deliver it to the house. I got all the decorations here and now all we have to do is put them up. Which is easier said than done with two puppies and a saint benard. But Kris gets them to hang out in our room for a little because we didn't want them outside because it's too cold for that.

Once they were squared away we find out a way to get our gigantic tree into the house. It was pretty messy but luckily the people we bought the tree from helped us out and even got a picture with their favorite baseball player.

We get the tree in its spot and no one got hurt. Once the stand was secured and the tree skirt was on we start to decorate it. We got white lights and white ornaments to go on it. I love the colorful trees but I wanted a white Christmas so this is what we were going to go with.

Once the tree was done we let the dogs lose as we create our own winter wonderland. Kris hangs up lights and all the tall people jobs while I hang up the stockings. Kris and I have one and each of the puppies get one too. Our families plan to come over for the holiday but I couldn't get all of those stockings up. But I am getting everyone gifts and luckily they're all going to fit under our ginormous Christmas tree.

After six straight hours of decorating and a little bit of extra curricular activity we were done with the house. All my sugar cookie scentsy warmers were on full blast and Christmas music was playing softly. I take a bunch of pictures of the house to send off to my parents to see what they raised. Once I was satisfied I grab some hot chocolate and sit on the couch. Kris sits next to me as he gives me the goofiest look. I don't get how a man that handsome can make these silly faces but he pulls it off.

"What" I finally ask.

"I put up Mistletoe" he claims as he points to the ceiling.

I look up and see the mistletoe over our head. And it was in the kitchen and over the fire place and by the tree and up the stairs. I have to admit, he was pretty consistent.

"Well I guess this means I have to kiss you now" I sigh over dramatically. He lets out a gasp as he rests his hand over his heart.

"That was not holly or jolly" he accuses.

I just roll my eyes ac I cup his chin and pull him close. "Shut up and kiss me" I tell him.

His hurt look turns to a mischievous one as he smirks at me. "Yes mam" he replies.