5.

Naina's P

Naina's P.O.V.

"Did you talk to the Panditji for the auspicious date for the engagement and wedding?" Ma questions Papa.

Ever since the Roka ceremony they've been so busy trying to prepare for the wedding. They've talked to relatives, wedding decoration planners, and caterers and we don't even know the date of the wedding.

They've been over the moon with this wedding.

"Haa, I called him last night. What date did he say?" Papa thinks to himself.

"You forgot the date?!" Ma questions, incredulously.

"No, I didn't," Papa denies quickly. "Just let me think for a second."

"I can't believe you, Raj!" Ma glares at Papa.

"I remember now! It's February 12th."

I smile at their banter from upstairs.

I miss talking to them on the regular. I would tell them everything that was going on in my life. But ever since Arjun canceled the wedding, that connection between us has changed. They hurt me by believing all those lies that Ishaan spewed about me.

I go downstairs to get a glass of water.

Their chatter comes to a stop when they notice I was in the room. I can see them glance at each other and whisper.

"You talk," Ma whispers to Papa.

"No, you first."

I roll my eyes at them. Could they not realize that I could hear everything that they were saying?

"Nainu?" Ma calls me and I almost drop the glass of water in my hand.

Nainu was my nickname for them.

Tears spring to my eyes when she calls me that. Ma and Papa acknowledged me by ordering me around but they never called me Nainu these past 6 months.

"W-What is it, Ma?" I question with my voice cracking.

"Why don't you go shopping with Priya and  Ananya to find your engagment dress?" Ma suggests.

I start crying in front of them. They haven't properly talked to me ever since Arjun called off the wedding. It felt nice that they were behaving like their old selves.

"Nainu...What is this?" Ma comes to me and wraps her hands around me.

I return the hug and start sobbing into her arms.

"Nainu..." I look up at Papa and he comes over to me. He wipes the tears coming down my face.

"Papa, I didn't do whatever Arjun's mom said," I sob into his arms. "I don't even know where those text messages came from."

"I know, Nainu. I know," Papa calms me down. "I'm sorry we didn't believe you."

"You believe me now?" I ask.