14.

Naina's P

Naina's P.O.V.

"Step into the mixture of milk and vermilion with your right foot first and then come and kick the pot full of rice with your right foot," Amma instructs.

I left my lehenga up and do as I was told by Amma. I step onto the plate full of the red liquid. I walk up to the pot filled with rice and gently tip it over.

These were the rituals that every bride had to do when entering her in-law's home for the first time.

I was annoyed by all of these post-wedding rituals. I just wanted to get these clothes off of me and change into more comfortable ones.

I already missed my parents if that was even possible. I couldn't stop crying at the vidaai and Ishaan had to basically drag me into the car or else I wouldn't have let go of them.

"Ishaan, why don't you talk to your brother-in-law? We'll help Naina freshen up," Ishaani, Ishaan's elder sister suggests.

Ishaani takes me into a room along with a couple of her cousins. The room was decorated very nicely. The whole bed was filled with flowers for the first night.

Ishaan's cousins giggle when they enter the room. I roll eyes at them. There was no way that I was going to let Ishaan sleep on the same bed as me tonight, let alone touch me.

"Here, sit on the bed." Ishaani puts her hands on my shoulder and makes me sit on the bed. Ishaani immediately starts fixing my dress, making sure that it was proper.

"Naina, I want you to know that...," Ishaani stops sensing my discomfort amongst her cousins. She turns to them, "Can you guys leave the room? I want to talk to Naina alone."

"Thanks," I tell her when they leave. "They were starting to annoy me."

"They annoy me too." She shoots me a smile.

I missed her. She was a nice person to hang out with but then she got married a couple of years ago and moved to the United States with her husband.

"Amma told me what Ishaan did. Look, Ishaan is stupid. I know what he did was unforgivable and that he would be in jail for what he did if you went to the police for this. I guess, what I was to tell you is, thank you. His life would've been ruined if you went to the police about this."

"I didn't do this for him, Ishaani. I did it for Ma and Papa."

"I know you did. He got really lucky." A silence emerges between us. "I'm not going to tell you to forgive him and just move on from it because I know how much he hurt you. You forgive him when you want to."

Tears spring to me eyes. "Everyone is telling me to move on because I'm going to spend the rest of my life with him but I can't bring myself too."

"Don't listen to what everyone is telling you. Listen to your heart."