Chapter 3 ~ Gut him like a fish

Isla's POV

I exit out of the library and start to head towards the cafeteria when I am suddenly grabbed and shoved into the girl's bathroom by Chelsea and two of her friends. Chelsea's nails are digging deep into my arm, causing me to bleed a little.

"I told you, you better watch your back. It's bad enough you stole Lucas from me. Now you're trying to get with his friends too. You are pathetic." She hisses at me.

"I-I I'm not trying t-to do anything. They c-came up to m-me." I stutter with tears falling down my cheeks.

"You are lying, ugly slut." Says one of Chelsea's friends as she slaps me hard on the face. My cheek stings, but I am numb to the name calling.

Suddenly the restroom door opens, and a girl I've never met walks in. She's really short with long black hair and porcelain skin. She looks like she would fit right in with Chelsea and the popular kids because of her beauty. She takes in the scene that is going on before her. "What are y'all doing to her?" She screams at Chelsea and her friends.

Chelsea rolls her eyes, "Look I don't know who you are, but if you were smart, you would stay away from this slut. She likes to steal people's boyfriends. You wouldn't want to hang out with trash, right?"

The girl looks at me and then back at Chelsea and friends before putting a sickly-sweet smile on her face. "You're right," She agrees, causing Chelsea to smirk. "I don't want to hang out with trash, so if you know what's good for yourself, the three of you will get the hell out of here before I kick your asses."

Chelsea stands in a daze for a moment as if she is confused about what the mystery girl had just said. She then glares at her and scoffs. "Come on girls." She says to her two friends, but then looks back at me and says, "This isn't over Isla. No one will be able to save you next time."

Chelsea and her friend's walkout of the restroom leaving me alone with the small but scary girl who just stood up for me. "Hi. I'm Kaira."

"I'm Isla." I whisper. The tears are still trailing down my face.

"Do they do this often? Bully and attack you?" She asks.

"Yeah, it's been going on since freshman year." I say as I fix my hoodie to help hide the marks on my face and arm. "Are you new this year?"

"Yes, my family just moved here over the summer." She says with a bright smile.

"Word of advice. You should probably stay away from me if you want friends. "I say with all seriousness.

She looks at me with sadness in her eyes and then it turns into a genuine smile. "It is nice to have friends, which is why I think you and I are going to be best friends."

"W-What? But didn't you hear Chelsea? I'm the 'school's slut'. I might sleep with your boyfriend."

"Should I believe her? You don't look like that type of person to me."

"I'm not that type of person, but everyone believes what Chelsea says. I haven't even had a boyfriend or a first kiss." I shamefully admit.

"I don't care about rumors and lies. She is a fake. It would be an honor to have a true friend like you, Isla." Kaira says while helping me stand up and pulling me into a hug. "Do you have first lunch by chance?"

I smile at her. It's been a long time since I've had someone at school who wanted a friendship with me. Well, besides Nick and Hayden today, but I'm still a little confused as to what that is about. "Yeah, but I don't normally eat. I hate going into the cafeteria. The whole school is pretty much against me because of Chelsea."