Chapter 35 ~ He would burn this house to the ground

Sofia's POV

The pain from yesterday's beating is taking a toll on my body today. At first when I wake up, I am frightened of not recognizing my surroundings. Closing my eyes, I count to ten to clear my head. This time when I open my eyes, I realize that I am in Isla's room. Remembering the events from yesterday, I shiver.

I walk into Isla's bathroom and look in the mirror. Gosh, I look scary. It looks like a bird made a nest out of hair. I pull off my dirty clothes from yesterday and take a quick shower. Once I am rid of dirt, blood and grime from yesterday, I hop out wrapping my hair and body in two fluffy towels.

My clothes from yesterday lay on the floor. Not wanting to put on the same clothes, I walk out of the bathroom to Isla's huge walk-in closet. Surely, she won't mind if I borrow some items. At least, I hope she won't mind. I grab a long sleeve shirt and jeans, wanting to cover as many of the bruises as possible. I know my friends now know the truth, but I hate seeing them, and I don't want Ems to see them.

Once I'm dressed, I brush my hair and throw it into a ponytail. As I walk downstairs, I can hear the sizzling of bacon being cooked and the smell of coffee. Not being able to control myself because of my growling stomach, I ran down the stairs to the kitchen.

"Oh my gosh. BREAKFAST!" I scream in excitement.

Hayden chuckles lightly to himself at my reaction while Nick gives me a perplexed look. "Damn, girl. You act like you never get to eat breakfast." I frown slightly by his words, remembering how my uncle wouldn't allow us to eat breakfast or at all. Nick notices my mood changes. "Don't tell me that bastard wouldn't let y'all eat." I look down at my feet. "Sofia, I'm sorry. I didn't know. I didn't mean to upset you." He hugs me tightly. "I promise you will never have to worry about that here. Three meals a day at least and Hayden normally cooks breakfast, but if he doesn't, I will."

Wow! It's nice having more people to care about me. Isla was right. We do all need each other. "Thanks, Nick."

Hayden turns around and points the spatula at me. "Don't thank me yet," Hayden laughs. "You won't want him to cook once you try his toast."

I pick up a piece of toast that is covered in peanut butter—and when I say covered, I mean I think he used an entire jar of peanut butter for each slice—and eye it. "It can't be that bad," I say before taking a bite. Hayden and Nick eye me. It's not bad, not bad at all. It's fucking awful. How the hell did he make toast taste so bad? I try to be polite and force myself to swallow the bite I have taken. "Yum," I lie.

Hayden and Nick burst out laughing. Nick grabs the toast out of my hand and winks. "Thanks for trying to not to hurt my feelings, sweetheart, but even I know it's bad." He chuckles as he throws the entire plate of toast in the trash. "That's why Hayden is the main cook. Isla and Luke can cook a little too, but not me. I can't even make toast."

Hayden laughs harder. "If Nick was left alone in the kitchen, we would all be homeless once again. He would burn this house to the ground."

Their laughter is contagious, and I can't help but to laugh with them. At least Nick knows he's a bad cook and doesn't get offended by being told so. "Here, let me help. I'll make the toast," I offer.

Once we are finished making breakfast and we have set the table. Nick calls everyone to come downstairs for breakfast. Luke and Emma make it down first before Killian slowly inched his way downstairs. I can tell he's still in a lot of pain from what my uncle did to him. At least he has a smile on his face. I know he's just as happy to be here as I am. He sits in between me and Emma as we wait for everyone else to join us.

Last but not least to come down for breakfast is Isla. She is still rubbing sleep out of her eyes as she walks into the kitchen. No one has paid her much attention yet, but once I see what she's wearing, I'm worried about Killian's reaction. "Isla?! Where are your pants and whose shirt are you wearing?" I say a little too loudly causing everyone to turn their attention to her.