Chapter 71 ~ As a friend

Luke/Lucas' POV

This is one of the hardest things I've ever had to do. I'm going to help my best friend end up with the girl that I am in love with. I'm doing this for Isla. I'm doing this for Isla. I'm doing this for Isla. I keep chanting in my head. I really am doing this for Isla. She deserves true love. Not that my love isn't true for her, but I did hurt her. I will regret it until the day I die--the day I kissed Chelsea, I lost any chance I ever had with Isla.

Hayden and I stand outside of Isla's door. We are both waiting for each other to open the door. I sigh as I see Hayden's hands trembling. I'm scared she's going to reject us, but he is downright terrified. I'm not used to him being like this. Isla is my everything, but for Hayden Isla is his only thing. It's strange, since I've known Hayden, I've always told him about the girl who is my entire life. The girl who one day would be my wife. Never did I think she would end up being his life, but as much as I need Isla, he needs her so much more. They really are perfect for each other.

I step in front of Hayden and open the door to Isla's room. I take a step in and let out a breath of air that I was holding when I see her still sleeping. Hayden follows behind me. At the sight of Isla, he rushes to her side. I knew once he saw her, he wouldn't be able to resist being near her. Hell, I can hardly resist being near her. If Isla needs me to be here for her as her friend, then I will, until I couldn't.

I pull up a chair next to Hayden and sit by him. "Are you okay, man?"

He shakes his head. "Luke, I'm sorry. I know how much she means to you. I tried not falling for her, but it just happened. I've never meant to make things like this between us. You are one of my best friends, and I don't want to lose you. Luke, you've got to believe me when I say I know how much you love her. I'm so fucking sorry for screwing everything up." He cries.

I can't help but to laugh a little. Hayden gives me a weird look as if I've gone crazy. Tears brim my eyes. "Supposedly our entire school has hated her for the past three years, but without even trying she was able to get four of the most popular guys to fall for her. Anyone who would have gotten to know her instead of bullying her would have realized just how special she is and fallen for her too."

"I really tried not to, but I've never met anyone like her. With her money and looks, she could have easily taken Chelsea down, but she didn't. She's too kindhearted." Hayden says.

"Yeah," I say as I remember my childhood with her." She was the only person to befriend me when we were little. Everyone always said I was crazy. There were times that I just couldn't control myself. I knew what I was doing was wrong, but my brain made me do it. No one wanted to be my friend because of it. Other kids would bully me and pick on me and I would get into a lot of fights. But Isla made all of that change. She wanted to be my friend; she was able to talk me down from a fight. She was the only one who truly cared for me besides my mom. She never gave up on me no matter how bad things with me got. I guess I just assumed she would always be mine. I took her for granted, and she found someone better than me." I say as I look at my friend. Hayden is better than me for her. "She needs someone like you in her life, not me."

"Don't say that Luke. She needs both of us. You hold a special type of friendship with her. You're always telling her not to give up on you, well don't give up on her." Hayden replies.

I let Hayden's words sink it. She's never given up on me and I'm not going to give up on her. "You're right. I'll be here for her as long as I can be."

Isla's POV

I hear two voices talking, but my head is still spinning so I can't make out what they're saying. I try to speak, but my throat is dry and hurts from all of the crying I've been doing. I reach for my throat in hope to signal to my friends that I need water, but as I touch my neck, I feel a necklace. I pull at the necklace to where I can see it, and there is an angel pendant. I rub my fingers across the Angel and when I turn it over the words Always My Angel are engraved in it. Killian. I start crying at the sweet gesture from Killian.

"Isla, what's wrong? Are you okay?" A voice says.

"Please don't cry, Isla." Another voice says.

It feels like my heart has stopped at the sound of the two voices. I would recognize both of those voices anywhere. I look up to see the last two people I wanted to see. Luke and Hayden. "Why are the two of you here? Please leave me alone."

Both of them are devastated at me telling them to leave me alone. I don't really want them to leave me alone. My heart is screaming out for both of them, but how am I supposed to choose one over the other. It's better to allow myself to be hurt. "L-Love, you d-don't mean that." Hayden whispers.

I nod my head. "Yes, I do." I say looking at the wall. I can't stand the pain that is showing on his face.

"No. You don't mean that, Sunshine. We all know that you don't mean that. You want us here as much as we want to be here." Luke says.

"Then that must mean y'all don't want to be here, because I don't want y'all here. Now. Get. Out." I try and say sternly, but my voice breaks as I start to sob uncontrollably.

"Love, please hea-"

"No, Hayden. Don't call me Love. I'm not your Love and I'm not your Sunshine." I cry out to both of them. I don't want to hear their names for me. It only reminds me of things that can never be. Do they not see that they're hurting me?

"Isla, we will go if you want us too." Luke growls, "But not before you hear us out."

"You have five minutes." I tell them. Five minutes until I say goodbye to any chance of happiness with Hayden. Five minutes until Luke finally gives up on me.

Both guys have tears streaming down their faces just like me. "Let me go first, and then I'll give the two of you time alone." Luke says to Hayden. "Isla," Luke starts. "I shouldn't have said that I would leave you, if you were choosing Hayden. I'm messed up in the head and sometimes I can't control my actions. I want nothing more than for you to be. If that means you being with Hayden over me then that's fine." Luke grabs my hand. "Sunshine, I want you to stay the sunshine in my life. If you aren't happy, you won't be able to shine bright for me. Forgive me, Isla, please. I love you and always will, and I know you love me too." Luke smiles, "As a friend. Be my friend, Isla and find your happiness your happiness with Hayden."

Luke kisses my forehead, "I love you, Sunshine. Don't give up on me, and I won't give up on you." Luke stands up and walks out but he stops next to Hayden. "I won't stand in your way anymore." Luke looks at me one more time before leaving the room, but this time he has a smile on his face, and he truly looks happy.

------------------------------------

A/N: This is the last update for 2019!!! I will update again tomorrow! Happy New Year's Eve and Stay Safe!!! ~KarenJ128~