Chapter 16 ~ Friendship? There's no friendship anymore

Nick's POV

It was hard having to say goodbye to Isla at the hospital, but Hayden and I needed to get home to talk to Beth. We also needed to start packing so that we can move in with Isla. I can't believe we are going to be moving in with Isla. Before we left the hospital, we had spoken to Isla's doctor. Depending on her test results, she will either be released tomorrow or Thursday. Isla gave us her house key before we left the hospital so that we could start moving our stuff into her house. She had told us we can choose out of the guest rooms on which ones we wanted.

"At least Beth should be happy that we found a place. I still can't believe that Isla is letting us live with her." I tell Hayden as we pull into the driveway at our foster home.

"I'm not surprised. Isla and I had a long talk after she woke up and there are some surprising things about her. "Hayden says.

"Like what?"

"I think she should tell you, but believe me when I say, she deserves nothing but the best." I nod my head in agreement. Of course, Isla deserves the best. Who else would be so kind and helpful?

We walk up to our foster home and Beth opens the front door before we can unlock it. She has tears streaming down her face. I forgot while me and Hayden have been smiling since we do have a place to live, Beth was still in the dark about it. She was still thinking that we were going to be homeless.

She hugs us both. "Oh boys, I'm so sorry. Come on let's sit and talk about what we need to do for the two of you in the kitchen."

We walk into the kitchen and Beth takes a seat next to Lucas. "What is he doing here?" I growl.

"Nick, he is concerned for the two of y'all. I know your friendship is kind of rocky at the moment, but you can't just throw it all down the drain."

I laugh humorlessly. "Friendship? There's no friendship anymore." I look at Lucas and I see the pain that my words have caused him, but I don't care he deserves it. He should see the pain that his words and actions cause Isla.

"Please." Beth pleads. "Can he stay?"

I glare at Lucas, but for Beth sake I say, "Fine, but I don't want him to say a single word during this conversation."

"Boys I have gathered some money up for the two of you and I have a friend that you can stay with for a couple of ..."

"Beth," Hayden interrupts. "We already found a place. You can keep your money and use it for the other children. Nick and I are going to be fine."

Lucas and Beth both look at us in surprise. "What? Where did y'all find a place so quickly?"

I smirk at Lucas knowing that what I'm about to say is going to bother him, but I don't care he deserves it. "With Isla."

"What?" Lucas growls, clenching his fists.

Hayden, being the wise one, decided to speak before Lucas, and I start fighting. "Isla kind of overheard my conversation with you, Beth, over the phone and offered to stay with her. I tried declining it at first, but she insisted that it would be beneficial for her as much as it would be for us."

"Are you sure she's okay with this?" Beth asks. "My friend said the two of us can stay with her for a while."

"Yes, Beth. I'm sure. With everything that has been going on with Isla, she said that she has become lonely and depressed. She said she needs us there as much as we need a place to stay." Hayden sighs. "She's doing this all by herself. Isla is strong, but she can't be expected to carry the weight of the world alone. Nick and I would be a big help to her."