Chapter 20 ~ I will wait

Luke/Lucas' POV

I ran two red lights and skipped a stop sign. I needed to get to the hospital. I had a suspicion that Hayden liked Isla, but I didn't want to believe it. He was my best friend. He knew the truth. He knew that I was Luke. He knew that I am and have been in love with her as long as I can remember. I get that he's mad at me and we aren't friends, but I never took him as the type to steal her from me. Stupid, he can't steal something that isn't yours to begin with. Maybe she wasn't mine yet, but the keyword is yet.

I run into the hospital and try to make it to the elevator, but I am stopped by security. "Excuse me, young man, but where do you think you are going?"

"Uhm...my cousin. I need to see my cousin," I lie. The security guard looks at me suspiciously but nods his head, letting me go.

I make it to the fourth floor and run to Isla's room. Since it's only a little after three in the morning and I don't want to wake Isla up, I quietly enter her room. I am here after all to tell Hayden to back off. I look around her room for Hayden, but I don't see him sitting in the empty chair. Her room is pitch black, so I search the wall to find a light switch.

I flip the switch and my blood starts to boil immediately. I blink several times and rub my eyes, because I cannot believe what I'm seeing. Hayden is lying in Isla hospital bed with his arms wrapped around her. Why is he lying with her? Why are his arms wrapped around her? They are both sleeping so peacefully, but I guarantee that's about to change.

I grab him by the arm and yank him out of the bed. "What the fuck are you doing?" I scream as he falls to the floor. Isla sits up in her bed with panic and fear written all over her face.

"What the hell?" he screams back as he shoves me. "Love, are you okay?" he asks softly as he turns and tries to console Isla, who is crying out of fear.

"Love?" I growl. "Quit fucking calling her that!" I demand as I slam my fist into the wall."

"L-Luke," Isla stutters. Fuck. I'm causing her to fear me. "Wh-what are you d-doing here?"

Hayden's eyes widened at the realization at what she called me. "Did you call him Luke?" he asks her.

"Yes, she called me Luke," I say proudly before Isla can answer him. "That's what we talked about when we were alone. I told her that I love her. I told her that I will make her love me again. I will earn her trust again."

If looks could kill I would be six feet under with the way Hayden is glaring at me. "Are you serious? Are you fucking serious?" he cries, venom lacing his words. It's never a good sign when Hayden cusses. "She deserves so much better that you. You will never be able to treat her the way I can. I don't care if y'all were best friends when y'all were kids. You've hurt her since then, and I will be damn if you think I will let you hurt her again. I'm what she deserves. I can and will treat her the way she should be treated"

This fight is pointless, and I don't want to fight with Hayden in front of Isla. She doesn't need to see that side of either of us. It's not his choice, anyways. It's Isla's choice. It's not even my choice what Isla chooses. It's her choice. I plead with my eyes to Isla. "Sunshine, I love you. I know I caused you pain, but we can fix each other. You deserve to be happy, and I can make you happy."

Isla's POV

Hayden and Lucas are both staring at me, wanting and waiting for me to say something, but I can't. I mean, I literally can't. Them arguing, seeing them so angry, it has sent me into a panic attack. I hate feeling scared. Them yelling reminds me of the kids at school who attack me. I hate feeling scared. I try again to breathe, but it feels like my throat is closing. I try taking a deep breath, but I can't. The room is spinning and my vision is becoming blurry.