Chapter 46 ~ Why would you kiss me

Luke/Lucas' POV

It's New Year's Eve, and I'm going to kiss Isla. It will probably be after the countdown, because I don't want to kiss her in front of anyone else, but I will kiss her before I go to sleep. I don't know how she's going to feel about it, but I have to. I am going to put all my emotions into this kiss, and I hope it will make her understand exactly how I feel about her. I'm hoping she will feel the same way.

As we ring in the new year, the only two people who kiss at midnight are Nick and Sofia. Oh, how I wish I could have kissed Isla to bring in the new year.

Everyone starts to head to bed, but I grab Isla. "Hey, can we talk for a little bit?"

"Sure?" She follows me into the living room, and we both sit on the couch. "So, what did you want to talk about?" she asks as she tucks a stand of her hair behind her ear.

We both gaze into each other's eyes. The light from the fireplace flickers in her eyes, mesmerizing me. Without thinking, I plant my lips on hers. I kiss her with so much passion and love, hoping she will return the feelings. Everything about kissing her feels so right, but there is something wrong. She doesn't kiss me back.

She pushes me away and looks at me with shock. Her eyes are watery. "W—why would you do that, Luke?" she asks as she touches her lips with her fingers. "Why would you kiss me, Luke?" This time she sounds angry.

"I—I love you. I wanted to show you what you meant to me. I had hoped that you would feel the same way." I can tell by the look on her face that she's confused, and I don't know if that's a good thing or not. I know she had to feel something, but what? "I know you felt something when I kissed you. Tell me that you did. Please, tell me."

"Luke," she says, trying to fight back her tears. "Luke, I told you I needed time. Why would you kiss me?"

Anger rises in me. "Because I'm not going to lose you again. Do you not see how those other guys all look at you? They have feelings for you just like I do, but I can't let them take you from me. We were supposed to end up together. I know I've screwed up, but you once had the same feeling for me that I have for you. How could you just let those feelings go?"

"Luke, I never said I—"

"What the hell? You kissed her?" someone growls.

Isla's POV

I'm heading to my bedroom when Luke grabs my arm. "Hey, can we talk for a bit?"

Not knowing what he wants to talk about I tell him, "Sure?" and follow him into the living room, where we both sit on the couch.

He stares into my eyes and I can't help but to stare back into his. I know I still have feelings for him but I haven't sorted through them yet. There are times that I still want us to be more than friends, but I just can't get past everything he did. I also don't know how I feel about Hayden and Killian. Both of them bring out things in me that I can't explain.

I'm waiting for Luke to start talking, but instead he kisses me. He kisses me. It feels so right but so wrong at the same time. The kiss is filled with so much emotion, it's like he is trying to speak through the kiss. I feel something in this kiss, and I want to kiss him back, but the image of him kissing Chelsea flashes through my head, and I push him away, feeling sick. Why did he have to kiss me? I am even more confused now than I was before. I asked for him to give me time, and this isn't him giving me time.

My eyes start to water. "W—why would you do that, Luke?" I touch my lips where he kissed me. They feel like they're tingling. Part of me wants him to kiss me again, but no, I can't allow that. "Why would you kiss me, Luke?" My mood changes from being confused to angry.