Chapter 18 ~ Sunshine, you're not stupid

Lucas' POV

My heart is pounding so hard in my chest waiting for the doctor to tell us the condition that Isla is in that I am pretty sure everyone else can hear it thumping too. Impatiently waiting for the doctor to speak, I growl, "Is Isla okay? Can we see her?"

"Follow me." The doctor says, leading us into a more private area so he can talk with us. "At the moment, she is stable. She has been having issues with her blood pressure since she arrived here over a week ago. It gets extremely high and then it will drop low. One of the medications that we have her on made her blood pressure and heart rate drop dangerously low this time. That is what caused her to pass out. Normally the body can regulate these types of things easily, but with all of the stress and lack of sleep and eating, her body is weak."

"But is she going to be okay?"

"I believe so. By chance do any of you know if her parents or grandparents had these types of problems? It can be hereditary."

"No." I quickly say. "Ramiro and Alissa were extremely healthy and took care of ...."

"Stop!" Hayden says interrupting me. "We wouldn't know, and neither would Isla." He tells the doctor.

I glare at him. How the hell would Hayden know anything about her? "Excuse me Hayden, but I've known her since we were kids. Her parents didn't have any health issues."

Hayden turns red in the face. "They're not her parents." He shouts.

"What?!" We all including the doctor look at him like he's grown a second head.

"Are you on something?" I hiss at Hayden. "What do you mean Alissa and Ramiro are not her parents?"

Hayden combs his hair with his fingers. "She was adopted at age five. She doesn't remember her real parents." What? Why would she tell Hayden? I didn't know. She never told me as Luke or Lucas.

"W-when did s-she tell you? Why...Why did she tell you?" I'm hurt and angry now. Isla should have told me not Hayden. I shouldn't be jealous of Hayden, but in the moment, I am and I'm ready to tear into him.

The doctor clears his throat. "Very well then. She is awake, but I would like to examine her first. If you could all give me about thirty minutes, you will then be able to see her, but please whatever you do, don't stress her out." The doctor exits the room leaving the four of us alone.

With anger still bubbling in me I turn towards Hayden. "Why? Why did she tell you and not me or anyone else?"

He glares at me coldly. "She told me yesterday when she woke up. I had asked her a question about something I found, and it was part of her explanation."

"What did you ask her?" I say clenching my jaw. How does that even get brought up in a conversation?

Hayden shoves his hands into his pockets and turns away from us. "It's not my secret to share. I hate that I had to say anything, but I couldn't let the doctor have false information that could jeopardize her health."

I thought Hayden and I were moving in the right direction to become friends again, but now I feel like we just took several steps backwards. If Isla told Hayden that information, does it mean that there is something going on between the two of them?

We wait in silence until we are finally able to see Isla. I am the first person to make it into Isla's room as I want her to see that I never left. Nick and Kaira are right behind me after I enter the room. Isla looks at us and tries to give us a small smile, but I can tell she feels awkward having me and Kaira here.

Kaira is about to say something when Hayden finally walks into the room. Isla's eyes light up the moment she sees him and smiles brightly. Hayden pushes by Kaira and me and hugs Isla tightly. "Love, you had me so worried. I-I don't know what I would have done without you."