Chapter 10

Chapter 10

I woke up in the middle of the night, confused and afraid Collin had left me as I couldn't feel him right next to me before my brain finally caught up with what was happening. I let out a soft and sad whimper, feeling lonely all by myself and I crawled over to the edge of the mattress, peering into the dark cave. My gaze fell on Collin, still sitting slumped against the wall of the cave and sleeping. I kept watching him for a while, feeling miserable and debated whether he was going to tolerate me getting close to him.

He couldn't be mad at me forever, could he? I hurt him because I was a stupid dumbass with unsolved issue but surely he was going to understand once I explained things to him? I never lied to him when I told him I loved him and I meant it. I loved him more than anything and I just wanted us to be a happy family. I wanted him to see his child grow up and teach them all the things he knew while I gave him everything he wanted.

"It's going to be fine." I whispered to reassure myself. 

Watching him closely, I put one hand on the floor, waiting for him to react but he kept sleeping, not even moving a single muscle. I felt my tail get a life of its own and twitching behind me as excitement spread through me at the prospect of being close to him and the rest of my extremities followed and I approached him, waiting for him to wake up but he didn't, he just kept slumbering.

I curled up next to him, hiding my face against his hip while I draped my left wing over him to keep him warm. He moved in his sleep and I made myself as small as I could in case he woke up and got mad at me for not asking permission. He didn't and just huffed in his sleep, frowning before he went back to normal. I wondered what he was dreaming about and what made him so mad. I hoped it wasn't me.

Until the sun started illuminating the entrance of the cave I waited by his side, snuggling close to him but he woke up soon after and I had to move away from him while he yawned deeply. Out of habit he dropped his hand onto my back and started giving the fuzz between my wings a good ruffle. I purred loudly, rubbing my face against his hip bone while he smiled at me sleepily. I got really happy, thinking he had forgiven me but it ended in a frown as he woke up for real.

"I want to apologize!" I rushed before he could open his mouth. "I'm sorry."

Collin moved his hand up to my face, brushing his thumb over my cheek bone. A sigh managed to move past my lips and he buried his hand inside my hair, running his claws over scalp and I nuzzled him, chuffing as I took a deep breath of his scent. I figured he was going to forgive me or had more or less forgiven me and that was why he was playing with me and paying attention to me.

"Unfortunately, that isn't enough." He murmured. 

Or not.

I whimpered and tried to back away from him but he didn't let me and kept petting me. I felt awful for receiving positive attention when I most certainly didn't deserve it and this was even worse than him yelling at me. I wanted him to know why I did what I did and I almost exploded from the pressure building inside of me as I turned onto my back to look at him, whining like a little child.

"I'm very sorry." I apologized profusely. "I want to explain! Let me explain! Please, Collin."

I was working myself up, frightened he was going to leave me but before I could freak out again, he pulled me into his lap. I looked at him surprised but he cupped my face and nudged his nose against mine gently. He was sending mixed signals and this was confusing me. Was he actually mad at me, then why was he treating me nicely and if he wasn't, then why did he say he was? I huffed and he smiled at me, hugging me to his chest.