Chapter 16

Chapter 16

I slammed down a plate of cherry cake I had baked myself after binge watching a show about being a good housewife and a glass of cranberry juice in front of Lucifer. He had shown up to check on us like he had promised and I had basically dragged him in without asking, forced him to sit down at our lovely kitchen table and now I was completely overwhelmed with the situation and all I had learned from TV shows was that you fed your guests. They didn't tell you how much was enough though and I had to eyeball it. I was really bad at improvising.

I really hoped five slices of cake was enough.

Thankfully, Collin had shown up seconds later to take over the conversation for me and I had never felt more relieved in my life. That was a lie, I had but I was so glad all the attention had been diverted off me and I could go back to standing around uselessly in some corner like the decoration I was intended to be. I wasn't good with pretending to be someone I was not and I think Lucifer would have figured out how uncomfortable he was making me if he had been left alone with me for a little bit more. 

"I am impressed with what you two have done with the place." He said, poking the cake with his fork. "Although to be honest, I expected a lot more black. Some skulls maybe."

Collin smirked at that remark as if it was a secret joke between the two of them. If so, I didn't get it and I felt left out which made me extremely sad. I wanted my home to look cozy and inviting, black was the wrong color for that and skulls were even worse. I appreciated the compliment though and smiled back at him, proud of myself. I had really put a lot of effort into turning this into a somewhat decent home for a child and if Lucifer liked it, maybe our baby was going to like it as well. At least I really hoped so. I wanted them to be happy.

"Can I bring you anything else?" I chirped, wiping my hands on my apron nervously.

I wanted to make a good impression but I didn't know how. I had watched a lot of TV shows to teach myself basic manners while I was home alone and Collin out and about, being mischievous since no one ever bothered to teach me anything other than how to please people sexually. I had learned quite a bit, I hadn't known you could pay the mechanic with sexual favors for fixing your car but that might come handy in the future. Lucifer wasn't a mechanic though and there was no show teaching you how to appease the ruler of Hell. I just felt helpless.

"I'm good." He smiled at me. "The cake looks great."

There were little options left for me to do, so I walked over to Collin, forced him to hug me to his side by sticking my head underneath his arm while I purred satisfied. He snorted amused and dug his fingers in between my shoulder blades, playing with the black fur there while Lucifer tried to look the other way while eating his pieces of cake. At least he seemed to like it and I didn't do that bad of a job. If I baked one every two days, I at least had something to offer to visitors from now on.

After a few minutes of meaningless small talk about our house, we said our goodbyes and finally had our home to ourselves again. I liked having visitors but I didn't like having visitors who just happened to be there for the purpose of being there. I was glad Lucifer came to check on us but it felt like business and not like him trying to befriend us which just made me sad. I didn't want to be just a business relationship. I sighed at the thought and put the apron back where it belonged to at least have someone who cleaned after themselves. Collin just dropped everything where he was standing and moved on.

"We still need to do some grocery shopping." I remarked, inspecting the fridge's contents.

"Boring." Collin huffed, grabbing my hips from behind. "I'm in the mood for something entirely different."