Chapter 7 ~ Bad News

I arose the next morning feeling so amazing that I felt as though I could fly. I ran down the stairs and put some toast into the toaster.

My mom was sitting on at the kitchen table, terribly upset about something.

"What's wrong?" I asked her.

Mom frowned at me and then looked away as she said,

"Um, sweety, I uh, we can't,"

Her voice trailed off. I gazed into her eyes.

"Mom, what's going on."

She reluctantly looked back at me. We both promised that after she'd seperated from Dad that we wouldn't keep any more secrets.

"Sweety, we have to move back to New York."

I think that in that exact moment my heart shattered into a million pieces.

"W-w-what?"

Mom looked terrified.

"Honey, I know you love it here but..."

I didn't let her finish. I ran back up the stairs and layed flat on my bed. I must have sobbed for at least an hour, but my stomach realized that I hadn't eaten breakfast yet.

I went down the stairs slowly and sadly. Across the room I saw my toast, on a plate already, and with a note next to it.

Dear Maggie,
I know that you really like it here, but the bills are becoming too difficult to pay off. An apartment doesn't cost nearly as much, so it's the only choice that I can make. I'm doing this for you.
Love,
Mom

I know that Mom was trying to do the right thing, but it really wasn't helping me. I'd rather sleep on the sand then move back to New York.

My heart sank once again when I realized that I would also be leaving Anthony behind. How am I going to tell him?