Chapter 29~ The Arcade

I woke up and the first thing I noticed was that Anthony wasn't there. I checked the time to see if I'd simply overslept, but it was pretty early.

I took out my phone and texted Anthony quickly.

Where r u?

I didn't have to wait too long before I got a reply.

Just out 4 a little walk so I could think. I'll head back now if I want me 2.

I was just worried about u.

:) I'm fine.

Good. :) what did u need 2 think about?

Nothing. I'm coming back now. I was on my way when u texted me.

Oh ok. See u soon!

See ya!

I put my phone down and started to think about what I wanted to do that day. Then it hit me. I told Josh that I'd go to the arcade with him today.

Dang it. I really wanted to do something with Anthony,too. Now I had to go to the arcade with Josh. Alone.

***
It was almost 3:00, so I had to get out of my pjs and get dressed so Josh and I could leave. I just put on a pink sweatshirt and some jeans. I was wearing my flower necklace too ,of course.

Josh came down the stairs to find me sitting on Anthony's couch, waiting for him.

"Ready?"

I nodded.

"Yeah. Let's go."

We left Anthony's house and headed to the arcade. Josh started to talk to me almost immediately.

"You know, I just wanted to say thanks."

"For what?"

"For letting me tag along with you and Anthony. I really appreciate it. I know that you guys have known each other for a while. I know that you guys want to be alone sometimes, and I respect that. I'm just happy that you made some time to do something with me."

"Oh, it's nothing. I love doing things."

We laughed a little, but my stomach felt a little weird when I said the word "love." Was it because of last night?

"What did you and Anthony do last night?"

I was kind of surprised by his question and felt strange answering it.

"Oh, we just watched the sunset and ate ice cream. Nothing too big."

"You guys were out there a long time for just watching the sunset and eating ice cream."

My stomach dropped.

"Well, I mean we talked for a long time too. We talk a lot."

"Okay."

By that time we had arrived at the arcade.

When we stepped inside, Josh's eyes lit up like a child's on Christmas.

"We have arcades in New York, but they're not nearly as big and awesome as this."

He looked around the dimmed room in awe. It was almost three times the size of the one in New York that I'd been to.

"Yeah, it is really big, isn't it?"

"Yeah! So, what do you wanna play first?"

"Um, how about ice hockey?"

"Okay, lets go."

We went over to the ice hockey table and I easily beat him within a matter of minutes.

"Wow you're good!"

"Yeah, Anthony and I used to come here all of the time when we were younger. What do you wanna play now?"

   We played games for about two hours and then we decided to stop. The two of us talked to each other while we walked to Anthony's house.

"Maggie, before you moved to New York, I had all these people that wanted to talk to me all the time, but now that you're here, people don't talk to me as much."

"Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't ..."

"No no no, it's actually a good thing."

   I was very confused.

"It is?"

"Yeah. You showed me that having just two or three people that are your real friends talk to you than having one hundred people is better. You know why?"

"Why?"

"Because our of those hundred people, only about three of them would be real friends anyway. Besides, you, Luke, and my friend Emma were always the ones who made me smile the most."

"Awe, that's sweet of you to say."

"Thanks. To be honest, I like talking to you the most."

   He was looking at me, eyes shining.

"You do?"

   We stopped walking.

"Yeah, I do."

   We were just standing in the middle of the boardwalk for a while, looking at each other. I never knew he saw me like this.

"Why me?"

"Well, for one thing, you're one of the only girls that keep things real and you don't pretend to be someone you're not. You're also always so funny and passionate. You really care about the people you love."

"Awe, thanks."

   I didn't realize until now that I was blushing. Wait, this can't be right, I'm blushing for Josh? But I love Anthony, don't I?

At that moment, I was confused. I thought I had it all figured out, but maybe I didn't.

"You're an amazing person Maggie, never change."

   He leaned closer and kissed my cheek. My face turned bright red.

"I'm gonna go get something to eat. See ya later Maggie!"

   He left me and I was alone with my thoughts. Hmm, this day threw me off. Do I love Anthony or Josh?

   There was nothing more I could say to Josh except for,

"See ya."