Chapter 26 ~ Out for the Day

Anthony, Josh, and I started to walk down the boardwalk. I was in the middle of the two of them.

   It seemed like Anthony and Josh were becoming friends. I really hope they're friends.

   We walked in and out of shops, and I'm pretty sure Josh will have spent all of his money by the end of this walk. He bought a surfboard, a new swimsuit, a sweatshirt, a T-shirt, goggles, a keychain, and a whole lot more.

   Once it was getting closer to lunch, we went to Anthony's and my favorite restaurant. Seaside Snacks.

"Mag and I used to eat here almost everyday." Anthony told Josh.

"Yeah, we were here a lot."

   Josh smiled.

"It seems like you guys had a lot of fun here."

   I grinned softly.

"We really did."

   My smile faded as I remembered that I didn't live here anymore.

   Once we were seated at a table, we e ordered our food and talked as we waited for it to be served to us.

"Hey, Mag, do you wanna watch the sun set tonight?"

   I was about to reply "Of course!" when Josh spoke.

"That sounds fun. What time are we heading down to the beach?"

   Anthony glanced at me and cleared his throat a little bit.

"Um, well, I was like kinda hoping that Mag and I could just watch it. Alone."

   He seemed nervous as he waited for Josh to respond.

"Well, uh, Anthony, I kinda wanted Maggie to go to the arcade with me later. Alone."

   My heart stopped. How am I supposed to pick?

   Both boys looked at me and waited for a response. Oh crap, I was not prepared for this.

"I have to go to the bathroom."

   I hopped out of my seat and went into the ladies' room. I locked myself in one of the stalls and just stood in there not knowing what to do.

   This was a big decision to make. And Anthony will be sad if I don't watch the sunset with him like we used to, and Josh would be upset because this is his first time ever being on a boardwalk or having his toes in the sand.

   I thought about what to do, so I decided to think of all the pros and cons of going with each of them. This list was very long, but I eventually knew what I had to do.

   When I left the bathroom, the first thing I noticed was that our food was there and neither of my friends were speaking. When they saw me, they kind of looked at me desperately.

"Hey guys."

"Hey." They said.

   I gathered up all of my strength and tried to act like I was confident and happy.

"So, Josh," I began. Anthony's face dropped.

"Yeah?"  He said. He looked very hopeful.

"I heard that there's a sale going on at the arcade tomorrow at 3:00. Wanna go then instead of tonight?"

   Now Josh's face dropped a little and Anthony was basically about to beam.

"Oh, yeah, sure. That's cool with me." He tried to say that like he wasn't a little hurt, but he pretty much failed.

"Good."

   I turned to Anthony.

"Anthony, ready to see the sunset later?"

   Anthony seemed so excited.

"Of course."

   I smiled.

"Good."