Chapter 27 ~ Night on the Beach

It was getting dark, so Josh went to his room in Anthony's house and waved me goodbye. I waved back as he went inside. I looked at Anthony excitedly.

"I can't wait! I haven't seen the sun go down over the ocean in a long time."

   Anthony smiled at me.

"Me neither."

   I gave Anthony a puzzled look and waited for him to respond.

"I didn't want to see it without you. I decided that it would just be our thing."

"Awe, that's so sweet Anthony."

   He blushed.

"Come on, let's head down to our favorite spot."

   The two of us walked down to the perfect spot on the beach and we spread out a beach blanket that we brought. We sat down and looked at the ocean. Anthony looked like he was going to say something, so I gave him my attention.

"You know, I honestly thought you'd go to the arcade with your friend instead of coming here."

   I was surprised.

"Why?"

   He seemed embarrassed that he thought that.

"Well, it's just that you guys have been together a lot lately and everything."

"Anthony,"

   I moved a little closer to his side.

"we've been together since third grade."

   He laughed a little.

"I know, I know. I guess that I just thought, I dunno, I just thought that you were replacing me or something."

   He looked at me with sad eyes. I couldn't believe what I was hearing .

"Did I hear you right?"

   He looked down at the sand.

"Yeah, you did."

"Anthony, why are you acting like this? No one could ever replace you. EVER."

   His face picked up a little.

"Are you just saying that because you don't want me to feel bad?"

   At this point I wasn't sure if he was being serious, but his eyes told me he was.

"Of course not! You are the bestest friend anyone could ever ask for!"

"Thanks."

"Now it's time for me to ask you a question."

"Okay, shoot."

"Why would you think ANY of this?"

   He shuffled his feet in the sand and I moved a little closer.

"I dunno. I'm just,"

"What?"

   He sighed a little.

"I just feel like Josh is better than me or something. Or like he's closer to you now then I am because of you being in New York now or,"

   I stopped him right there by putting my finger over his mouth in a hushed position. When I took my finger away, he remained quiet.

"Never feel insecure around me Anthony. That was the deal in third grade and every grade after that. You're a part of me and you always will be. You're my best friend."

He smiled and looked at the sea again. I did the same.

"But what happens when best friends drift apart?"

I turned towards him again to see that he was looking in my direction.

"Well, I'm not quite sure, but let's promise each other one thing."

"What?"

"We'll never let that happen in a million years."

I held up my pinkie to do a pinkie promise. Anthony chuckled and licked our pinkies together.

"Alright, it's a promise."

   The sun was starting to get low when Anthony put his arm around me. I put my head on his shoulder.

   We talked for a while and fell silent as the sun was submerged by the sea. The sparkles of the ocean were so beautiful. I really missed this place.

   Once the sun was no longer visible, Anthony and I stood up, talked for a little bit, then walked back up to the boardwalk, but once we were there, Anthony stopped, so I did too.

"To be honest, I'm not ready for the night to be over."

   I smiled at him.

"Me neither."

"Why don't we go get some ice cream?"

"The Frosted Spoon?"

"Of course."

"Then let's go."