Third Task

~Severus' Chambers - December 31st - Tuesday Morning~

Severus' POV:

I woke up in a terrible state. Last night had completely shattered me. I was in no mood to attend the final task, but decided against staying inside my Chambers the entire day. I did decide to stay in my Chambers until the final task began in order to avoid any contact with (Y/N). Oh how I dreaded saying or even thinking that name at the moment..

~Enchanted Maze - Tuesday Night~

I had taken my seat a little while before the event began and passed the time by glaring daggers at (Y/N)'s back. I can't believe I ever thought I could love or be loved by another ever again. I was interrupted from my glaring session by a familiar boy that I recognized to be the one who (Y/N) had kissed in the the corridors yesterday.

"How bold you must be to engage in conversation with me at the present time.." I seethed at the boy.

"Please Professor. I don't wish to bother you more. I just wanted to hand you this." The boy told me as he handed me a neatly folded bit of parchment.

I took it from him abruptly and read the first line. As I was about to disintegrated the paper with my wand, the boy stopped me.

"No! Please don't! Just read it. I assure you it's worth being read." He frantically told me.

I groaned and read it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dear Severus,

I can't tell you how sorry I am about what happened yesterday. You have every right to be upset with me. But I'd like to tell you why I did what I did. Lucas kissing me was merely a way to get Tyler's friends to not believe him when he told them he saw me kissing you. I felt terrible the second it happened and knew I had made a mistake. I felt as though I had wronged you. Which I definitely did. In the case that I don't survive this final task, I want to have a clear conscience and know that you forgive me. If you forgive me, 10 seconds before the task begins I will look towards you. You can glare or look away if you still hold a grudge towards me, which is completely understandable. Or.. You can smile. A loving smile. Once again I can not tell you how sorry I am and how much I truly love you.

~(Y/N)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I turned pale once I had finished reading the letter. The boy who had brought me the letter had already disappeared, but that didn't matter to me. How could I have been so foolish!? (Y/N) would not have done something like this to me with intent. I felt terrible for yelling at her.

I remembered how I shoved her against a wall and yelled at her. My heart ached from the memory. A couple seconds later, the countdown for the beginning of the final task began. I folded the letter and tucked it in my robe pocket before looking up.

"20 seconds!"

I looked down towards the entrance of the maze where (Y/N) stood. I waited for her to turn and look at me so that I could give her the most loving smile I could muster.

"15..14..13..12..11..10!"

At 10 (Y/N) looked at me. Once she saw my face, her expression turned from a depressed frown, into a cheerful smile. Once the final task began, (Y/N) focused on navigating the maze. I could only hope that she emerges safely from the maze..

Your POV:

10 Seconds before the final task began, I turned to Severus. I was expecting a scowl or glare, but to my surprise, he gave me that loving smile I always longed for. I suddenly had immense amounts of energy flowing through me. I turned back to the maze as soon as the countdown hit 0.