Surprise

~Great Hall - January 6th - Monday Afternoon~

Your POV:

I slept well despite staying up late to work on my gift for Severus. I believe I can finish it by tonight, so I'll have time to plan out how I'd surprise him.

Lucas and I were talking about some Transfiguration homework as I noticed Severus' chair was empty. I never really knew why Severus was absent at lunch over the past couple months, but I have a suspicion that it has to do with needing to attend Death Eater meetings or something along those lines.

"Hey. (Y/N)! You alright?" Lucas got my attention after nudging my shoulder.

"Hm? Sorry, I wasn't paying attention.." I apologized as I resumed eating my sandwich.

"That's alright, I was just wondering if you could review my essay for Potions. I want to know if it needs some tweaking." Lucas asked me as he handed me his homework.

"Sure, Lucas." I told him while skimming through his paragraphs.

-Potions Classroom ~ After Class-

Potions class had gone by quicker than expected. While I was putting my books in my bookbag, I heard my name being called.

"Ms. (Y/L/N). A word." Severus told me from the opposite side of my desk.

I watched as the last students left the classroom and then returned my attention to him.

"What is it Professor?" I said for good measure in case someone could hear me from outside.

"I'd like to apologize for something." Severus said with a hint of sadness in his expression.

"What do you mean? What would you need to apologize for?" I asked, even more confused than before.

"For raising my voice at you in the corridor the night before the Third Task. I regret having done so." Severus told me as he folded his arms in front of his chest.

I saw the regret in his eyes as he looked at me for a response.

"You're already forgiven. I understand why you were angry at me. I regret what I did as well. I should have handled it differently." I responded, causing Severus to show a look of relief.

"Thank you for accepting my apology (Y/N)." He replied.

"You're welcome Sevy." I joked while picking up my bookbag.

Severus rolled his eyes and turned to go back to his desk.

"See you next class." I said before leaving the room.

Severus' POV:

I sat down behind my desk and resumed reading poorly written 4th year papers. The week had just begun and the urge for it to end had already surfaced in my mind. I read the date on the first paper and remembered something. January 9th was approaching. The point of celebrating a birthday still ceases to make sense in my opinion. As soon as the thought had entered my mind it was gone. Grading was all that was on my mind at the current time.

~Hogsmeade - January 9th - Thursday Afternoon~

Your POV:

It was finally Thursday. And I was nervous. I was currently making my way to Madam Puddifoot's Tea Shop to pick up the cake. I can't wait to see Severus' reaction. Although, I'm not really sure what his opinion on celebrating birthdays is.

I opened the door to the shop and was greeted with Madam Puddifoot's smiling face.

"Hello dear! Here for the cake I presume?" She says while making her way over to the cake display.