Heated

Riley Greenfield
Nine

Again, A week had rushed by since that night she saw Gene naked. She knew their time apart wasn't intentional, it never was because this time they both swamped themselves in work. They couldn't afford anymore downtime or playtime. Mechanical orders and special request were made by customers and second-company assistants. Gene was swamped with more paperwork from new clients to old ones. She barely had time to text sometimes unless she occupied a toilet every few hours. Riley missed her company painfully but since their schedules were so swamped she didn't have time to think about the time she wanted off from work. That's all their was right now, work until each paperwork was stamped or signed.

After 23 hours of hard work, naps in her office chair and phone calls every second of the day finished her entire paperwork for the rest of the week. Tomorrow she was off voluntarily taking one of her vacation days as a break. She needed it more than she needed dinner and lunch. Something she always skipped when she worked overtime. It wasn't on purpose to miss lunch it just always happened when time and work swamped your brain. Everything had a deadline now matter how slow or fast you worked to get it done. As long as you made that deadline then you were done, if you didn't then you might as well say goodbye to your once thriving company.

Eating at Hanna's tacos was the closets, most delicious restaurant their was. She didn't plan on it being packed because like every time she got off from a long day at work, it was night time. Stuffing her face with her fourth taco today calmed her stomach down from all the flipping it had did earlier from absence of food she didn't have. Unexpectedly her phone begins to blast off to life flashing the iPhone's back calling tone. Seeing the caller ID she quickly picks up answering Gene's sudden phone call. "Hello?" She questions as if she didn't expect Gene to call at this hour. "Hey. I know it's late but I was wondering if you were free to get some lunch" Gene suggest. A smile forms on Rileys stuffed face, swallowing her 6th bite she answers "Actually I'm at Hanna's tacos if you want to meet me here" Riley confesses. She could tell gene was smiling over the phone out of sudden quietness, quickly she agrees just before hanging up.

The restaurants bell rings off minutes after the sudden phone call Riley picked up. Gene notices Riley occupying a booth in the back so she sits down right in front of her smelling amazing as always. "What are you craving tonight?" Riley questions Gene as if she had sudden cravings like a pregnant woman. Gene smiles warm and accepting just before she decided to have whatever Riley once had. Knowing her food was practically gone she smiles also ordering Gene a batch of their best tacos.

Gene stuffs her face, moaning into the taste of the best made tacos in town. Riley watched as she stuffed her face like a hungry homeless woman who hadn't eaten since last year. Laughing on the inside she keeps her thoughts to herself mesmerized by the woman right in front of her. "How was work?" She questions Gene suddenly realizing both their days were long ones. Wiping her mouth she looks up at Riley suddenly with a deep sad look on her face. "Someone died in my arms.. Before you ask I rather not speak about it, all work is always stressful but will always be something I love" Gene confirms highlighting over the bad incident she so happened didn't want to speak on. So they didn't, realizing it would be best to leave the sad darkened time where it happened. Their was no time for Gene to spill tears over her food when she needed it inside her body. So Riley quickly gathered another question changing a dark subject to something much more uplifting. "Have you spoke to your parents? Or did the drive yet?" Riley reminds Gene suddenly. Gene swallows, takes a sip from her glass then presses her chin against her hands gazing Riley's way as if she didn't have a question to answer. "I haven't but my mother called 2 days ago" She confesses. "Did you answer?" Riley interrogates as if Gene had no other choice but to pick up. "I didn't actually, I left a text message instead because at the time I was dealing with a traumatic event" Gene admits. Riley looks at her skeptically wondering what her parents were like. Were they nice or did they just accept that Gene had a busy life, one she couldn't stay away from to come see them. "What are your parents like?" Gene questions Riley unanticipated. Riley couldn't even remember the last time she visited her moms grave or her fathers nursing home. Everything was a blur to her the moment she walked into the room and he didn't remember who she was. Her brother dedicated himself to the army without a word and her sister practically ran away with some man and never showed up again after their mother's funeral. Everything was out of order and it stayed that way for over a decade now. "Ummm" was all she could say before the waiter came over asking if they were ready to pay for the order. Riley hands the woman her card acceptingly just before the waiter took off around the corner somewhere. "My mothers dead and my father.. we don't speak" Riley confesses as if that's all their was to her story. "Any siblings?" Gene nailed on hoping to gather some type of useful information. "My brothers in the army and my sister, honestly I haven't seen her since my mother's Funeral" Riley admits without a twitch of uncomfortableness. Usually a conversation like this with someone else would've made her uncomfortable. Riley barely talked about her past with anyone, it haunted her at times that she had no one but Lena at the time. She didn't understand why her family was so dysfunctional, broken and distant. People even asked in high school and at times picked on her when her mother wasn't around to pick her up. They didn't know her story, they didn't know she no longer had a mother just months before school started. She didn't want anyone to know her life because the less they knew the better her days went. Riley assumed Correctly that Gene decided to leave the conversation alone since silence about her family took over. The waiter occupied their table again with a smile and wink Riley's way handing her back her card with the ladies number on the back. It could be seen by anyone including Gene who sat right in front of her watching the woman drool over Riley. Her sudden twitch to a full face of irritation threw off a jealousy aroma. One Gene possibly couldn't have known she was performing until Riley smiled. Now embarrassed Gene gets up quickly bolting to the nearest bathroom stall to talk herself into believing they were just friends and that's it. Riley knew she wanted more the moment she fled to the bathroom. Her smile turned into a small giggle tugging her bottom lip from blushing support.