Choices

Gene Ress
Twenty-Six

             2 days 17 hours and 42 minutes had passed since Gene last seen Riley. Her schedule was a bomb shell the moment she walked into her office. Stacks of papers along with requested patients were given to her by her new boss Dylan. At some point in her life Gene always asked herself why wasn't she promoted yet? Were they taking advantage of her skills and time? Or were they just giving it time to see if she was worth enough to be on the top. Somehow Gene couldn't believe it either because she was the one that hired Dylan Hunts a little over 5 months ago. Now all she had still was her work to finish so she could see her bed at least today. A soft knock on her door quickly distracted her from the stack of papers welcoming whoever it was inside. Softly the person accepted the request and let themself inside. Dylan Hunts as thought about abruptly welcomed himself inside with a smile on his face. A big cake sat in one hand alongside a bouquet of flowers in the other. Gene didn't know what to say or do as he walked up closer and closer to her desk as if they were the best of friends. "Hi umm... I know this is unexpected but I figured why not treat a beautiful woman to a nice bouquet of fresh roses with a side of homemade cake" Dylan explains practically smiling from ear to ear gorgeously. Gene couldn't help but blush herself. No one had ever did something as kind other than Riley herself to a fresh case of roses before. Truthfully how did he ever know those were her favorite? But then again who didn't love fresh roses? Nervously Gene pushes her loose strands of hair behind her ears thanking Dylan for the kind gesture. "Ah! It was nothing, I've just seen you work so hard and no ones ever took the time out to reward you, but as a fellow friend I decided to pull this off today. I hope its not too much" Dylan rambles on nervously. Seeing him this way made Gene giggle a bit. "Ummm... Are you hungry? I mean.. Do you want to go out for lunch?" He continues. Gene's mouth opened and closed the moment he spoke the word Lunch. "You don't have to if you know.. If your lover doesn't agree" He explains. "No, No I'm not taken. I mean... Lunch sounds nice and I am hungry, so their shouldn't be a problem. What time are you trying to go?" Gene questions. "Now, If your not too busy" He answers eagerly. For a second Gene stood there reminding herself that this was only Lunch, nothing more. So she accepted what it was instead of what she assumed it could've been.

Steak-In was a very small but common restaurant close to the hospital whenever anyone chose chef meals over homemade meals. In Gene's case she had no other choice than to seek the closest restaurant to fulfill her hunger. Dylan opened the door like a gentlemen and let Gene go first. She thanked him with a smile and walked inside. The place smelled and looked amazing the moment she stepped inside. Dark but dim environment caught her attention immediately as other attenders looked her way. Just about scared half to death Dylan presses his hand against her bottom back triggering any thought of what it shouldn't have been. Quietly the door shuts behind him which left him rocking his frame beside her happily. Wherever Gene went eyes stared, so seeing this happening around Dylan wasn't going to change a thing. "What would you like to eat?" Dylan questions. "I'm not sure, Anything without beans will be just fine" Gene answered.  "Alright, Go ahead and pick our tables, I'll be right there" He suggested politely. Gene listened in on his command and begin to search for the perfect table. The one in the back was just fine so she sat down and waited on Dylan to join her.

              After 15 promising minutes the food arrived hot and mouth watering. The sizzling steak Dylan had ordered himself looked just as delicious as the tacos he had ordered Gene. 1 silent prayer and 2 complete smiles left Gene digging in anxiously ready to satisfy her hunger. "So how's your stack of work coming along?" Dylan questions teasingly with a smile. Suppressing a laugh Gene answers "Its going better than expected. Why? Is their something else i have requested after? "No, not that I know of. Well not from the boss" He confirms. "How's your job? Is it any better than being a team-leader?" Gene inspects curiously. Somehow she still couldn't get over the fact that he was promoted so fast. Was she slacking? Did her work not look good enough? People told her everyday that she was the best at her job so how come she didn't feel like that? How come they didn't promote her like they promoted Dylan Hunts? "You probably have many questions" Dylan informs. "I'm curious if you're asking" Gene confesses while she pushed her loose strands behind her ears. "Well... since your curious being a boss isn't any different. It's actually quite the same. The pay is different defiantly and the work is massive but, other than that I still have the same hours and I still have the same vacation days. We all have different salaries though.. Mines a little lower because you know.. I just started" Dylan explained. Slowly Gene comfortably leans back against the chair crossing her leg over the other as she analyzed what sat before her. Now she knew why they chose Dylan to be the boss. As much as she hated to say it, he was pretty smart about his work just not smart enough with his hands. Which in all meant they needed someone who'd be hungry enough for the money instead of hungry to save lives. Dylan Hunt's was just a replacement that could easily be replaced if he made the wrong move. As for Gene she was the one making all the grand choices so all she had to do was ask Dylan Hunt's for a raise or maybe even a position higher than a surgeon. Gene Ress wanted to be a lead surgeon her whole entire life, was that to hard to ask for? No it wasn't.