This Ending

Gene Ress
Fifty-Four

Help me! Help me please!! Gene; Help me!! Help me Gene!!! I'm drowning!!!!! —- Again for the fourth time in just 7 days Gene woke from her sleep. Her eyes immediately swung open to the same terrifying dream she had a day ago. The tears on her face could be felt against her pillow just like last night. Only this time she was sweating against the cover of her fluffy quilt. The air was blasting cold but her body remarkably over-heated right under her cover as if the 60 degree air didn't do anything to cool her down. She knew this time she couldn't turn over and hope for Riley to be there. Days ago she would've been prepared to pull her into her arms for the night until they fell back asleep again but this time emergency work had called her in two days ago for extended pre-orders that could not be ignored for her own sake and sanity. Likewise Gene told her to go because work did stand important; truthfully she didn't want Riley to suffer the consequences Gene endured every night through trauma of Windy's unresponsive body. It had been 3 days since their visit to Windy's closed off area.

Gene had blamed herself continuously over and over that Windy's condition was her fault. If she hadn't did the surgery this day then maybe she could've came up with a better plan at reviving her friend from getting any closer to the steps of permanent death. It was bad since that day for Gene to mentally abuse herself for something she couldn't control. She knew she had no control over if Windy made it or not, but she wanted to believe that maybe she could've made a better suggestion than the one Calvin had come up with. Aching from her own body left Gene even more tired than the moment she had went to sleep. Since she was officially up and no where near falling asleep again she checked the time. Hoping to at least have gotten more than 3 hours of sleep. 7:45 Am it read, 4 hours and 27 minutes of sleep— not much but way better than last time.

                  If it ever was up to Gene she would've called Riley hours ago but, the thought of disturbing her from work over something she had every other night wasn't worth it. Gene had to deal with this on her own so that she could figure out why she had these terrifying dreams. Just a week ago she had finally accepted that Windy was her patient in her care. Despite their relationship she had a job to do if she wanted to pay her bills on time. When she first realized that Windy was possibly brain dead every feeling of regret and pain washed over her like a oil trunk crashing on-top of her head. It ultimately broke her heart in the process, pushing her further away from her employee's and into her office room for days. She obviously couldn't face her team knowing that her best-friend was possibly brain damaged. Every X-Ray ever created just to take precautions was tested on Windy Denver. None of them proved any type of different results. All it showed numerous times ahead was the same time exact fact; Windy was on her way to being brain damaged if the swelling didn't go down in a matter of days. Gene couldn't help but feel responsible for what had happened to the woman she once kicked out of her life over a unaccepting argument. Maybe if they had smoothed things over during the last one then she wouldn't feel at fault.

            When Gene finally walked into the hospital that Friday with Riley right by her side. The heavy weight of her heart slowly sunk to the floor with pressure of unwanted feelings surfacing for a grand entrance right onto her face. She was ready to accept the news of Windy. By then she didn't know if windy had lived or died and she felt so guilty if it ever was the case of death. She'd have so many unsaid confessions and regrets from one unknown visit. Every second of a new day Gene feared that if she didn't come and see windy once a day she'd miss out on many opportunities but, now that she sat up in her bed from the same nightmare the blame of not checking up on windy before this became a problem haunted her. She didn't know what to say for herself; how to go about her day knowing she didn't feel complete to continue it without any complications to her work performance. It was as if the thought of Windy leaving her crushed her with a weight she couldn't hold by herself. So again, she pushed her legs up to her chest and rested her head into her lap hoping to give herself comfort before a bright and early day at work.