Chapter 9 "Mums are always right"

***Phone Conversation***

"Hello? Phil?" My mum asked sleepily.

"Hey mum," I smiled.

"Well," she said, "it's about time. I can't believe I had to find out that my son has a boyfriend on an interview."

"About that, mum," I murmered, "I don't really have a boyfriend."

"But you and Dan announced you were dating," she said, confused.

"Yeah, well," I said, "it was a dare. We got dared to date for a while and then pretend like we never dated and be seen going out with girls."

"Oh," she said, "and how do you feel about that?"

"I don't know mum," I sighed, "I mean this isn't the first time I've questioned my sexuality, you know that, but it feels so much stronger this time. I'm really starting to like him, maybe love him, mum."

"You say that like it's a bad thing sweety," she questioned.

"Mum, it is a bad thing. Dan is straight, and I'm well I'm not sure," I said.

"And how do you know he is straight?" She asked.

"Because he just is mum," I explained.

"I'm not so sure," she said, "anyway I have to get to work. I love you Phil and trust me it will all work out."

"Thanks mum," I smiled, "I love you too."

***End of Phone Conversation***

I walked down the stairs and saw Dan curled up on the couch, a bowl of cereal and a piece of burnt toast in his hands. I smiled at the image, but I couldn't get what my mum said out of my head. She thinks Dan isn't straight? How could she think that? I need to start looking for proof that he isn't.