22

"Alright, miss Pierce. How are you feeling today?"

"Fine." Deja mumbled, looking up at her doctor as he entered her room.

Looking at Mason, Deja's doctor glanced down at his clip board to avoid eye contact as he cleared his throat.

"How's your rib feeling? Does it still hurt when you breathe?" He asked.

"Only when I take a deep breath. Other than that... not really, but I can definitely feel it." She said, glancing at Mason once she felt his hand gently grip her thigh.

"Okay... and how's your stomach? Any more cramping or bleeding?"

"I was bleeding a lot last night and early this morning, but it stopped about two hours ago. I'm still cramping really bad though." She explained, her voice low.

"Okay. It's almost time for your medication now so I'll have a nurse bring that in for you shortly, and if you're ready, I can prescribe you your pain killers and you can go." He said.

"I'm ready." She said almost immediately, making him give her a soft smile.

Though she had only been in the hospital for two days, she was beyond ready to leave. Even though Mason was there with her, and she felt protected, just the thought of her step father knowing where she was made her physically sick to the stomach. She wanted to leave. She wanted to go to Mason's apartment, far away from her dorm, and stay there. She was still terrified, and she had every right to be. She didn't want to go back to that dorm, not ever.

"Are you sure you're ready to leave?" Mason asked, giving her all of his attention once the doctor walked out.

"Yes." She mumbled, staring down at his hand that was resting in her lap. "I just wanna go home with you and lay down."

"Okay baby." He nodded. "We can do that. You wanna go get your things before we go to my place?"

"I'd rather not." She said softly.

"Okay." He sighed.

He knew it had only been two days, and her wounds were still fresh, but he already missed her. He hated that she couldn't even lift her head when she spoke, he hated that she talked with zero bass in her voice. Every time she talked, you could barely hear her, and that broke his heart. He already knew that she would need time to heal, both physically and emotionally, and he knew that he'd have to be patient with her, but he hated the emotional damage that had been done to her already.

Seeing her so hurt and damaged only filled him with a rage that he had never felt before. Every time he was able to catch a glimpse of her discolored skin, or the look of pure despair and emptiness in her eyes, he was filled with an unexplainable anger mixed with a pain that crushed his heart each time.

"Babe, please calm down." Deja sighed, noticing how tight he was now gripping the sheets on her bed.

"Sorry." He mumbled, looking back at her. "Are you sure that you're feeling okay?"

"Yes." She nodded. "I'm still sore and my stomach hurts, but I'm tired of being here."

Before he could think of something to say next, both the doctor and a nurse walked back into the room. The doctor holding a clipboard of papers that's Deja needed to sign, and the nurse holding Deja's prescriptions.

After taking what she needed and signing the papers, Deja was being pushed out of hospital in a wheelchair by Mason, the two of them accompanied by one of the nurses.

"If you wanna go pull your car around, I'll wait here with her." The nurse offered, speaking to Mason.

"Okay-"