38

Continued..

Still watching Mason, Deja frowned to herself.

She could clearly see the internal battle he was having with himself by the way he continued to pace.

It made her want to go out there and try to comfort him in some way, but she knew that DJ said Mason needed a minute to himself, so she tried her best to listen to that.

But at the same time, she knew that Mason needed a shoulder to lean on. So, she got up against her better judgement, and walked outside.

Hearing the door shut, Mason looked up and sighed softly when he saw Deja come outside.

"You okay?" She asked, taking a few steps towards him.

"Yeah, baby. I'm just thinking." He assured her.

"About?"

"Myself. I'm trying, babe. I'm really trying to be better for you, and for this baby. And I don't know why, but I'm struggling." He explained lowly. "I feel like I've trapped myself in a corner and there's no way to get out of it."

"There's always a way out, Mason." She told him. "Let me help you. Tell me what's wrong so I can help you fix it."

"I can't." He sighed, his voice cracking as he looked down to avoid her eyes.

"Why not? Baby, I'm here for you. You know this. Just let me in."

"Deja, I can't." He repeated, still not meeting her gaze.

"Then at least explain why."

"I don't want to hurt you." He said. "If I tell you this... I know it'll break you, and I can't let that happen. Not while you're pregnant, not ever."

Staring at him, she just frowned. Just ten minutes ago, he was promising to never do anything to hurt her. Yet here he was now, saying he couldn't let her in on what was going on with him, because it would break her. So now, she was confused. All that was in her mind was that he must be depressed. Maybe he was having thoughts that could disturb her, or in other words, hurt her.

"Come here." She sighed and grabbed his hands, bringing him towards her. Once he was close enough, she stood on her toes and wrapped her arms around his neck in a comforting hug. "We'll figure it out, baby. You're not in this alone."

Closing his eyes, Mason let out a small sigh and buried his face in her neck as he hugged her back. Finally feeling the comfort he was craving, allowed him to relax and accept that she was there for him.

"Come on." He mumbled. "I'm sorry for doing all of this tonight. We're supposed to be celebrating."

"It's okay." She assured him and rubbed his back. "Everything's going to be fine. Just let loose for one night. We'll worry about the rest later."

"Okay." He smiled.

Holding on to Deja's waist, he followed her back into the house just as DJ was coming out to get them.

"Hey, your mama finished dinner, so come eat." He told them.

"Alright." Mason nodded. "Uncle Ant isn't coming?"

"You know how Kennedy is." DJ mumbled. "I talked to him earlier, not without hearing her slick comments though."

"What was she saying?"

"The usual. She was pissing Anthony off by saying we aren't a part of their family, and he needs to be worried about being home with her and the kids on Christmas Eve, not over here following some dumb childish tradition."